• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

2005 ford excursion.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Hey all. My dad wants to buy an 05 excursion that he saw on the dealers lot this morning. It has 80k on it and is the V-10 6.8L engine. It is listed below recommended value. Any concerns with a ford or the engine or this truck in particular that should be known about. Thanks all.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Kurt

Probably because it's a V10 2 wheel drive truck, those are the cheapest Excursions. The Turbodiesel 4WD ones are nice and get's similar mileage [if not better] than an Hummer or diesel pickup. The gas ones drink fuel something fierce.

Otherwise it's a F-250 with extra seats and interior bits, they're pretty reliable. Worse case you have something go wrong with one of the interior electricals.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have had really good luck with my Ford trucks. I have mainly had diesels. I had a V-10 Chevrolet 3/4 ton awhile back and averaged 8 miles to the gallon. I get 13-14 in the diesels.

Scarsman

Sponsor
Chevrolet had a V-10? I've never seen one of those. I'll have to look it up.

My father in law has a '05 4x4 Excursion with the V-10. He has never had any problems with it, but it really is a gas hog! I think he gets 10 mpg with it all stock. I am not a Ford guy, but I will say, that V-10 motor is an awesome motor. If you vcan afford to fed it. I worked for a drilling company in the early '00s and they were using F350s with the V10 and 5 speed manuals. They were a blast to drive, and that V-10 really has a cool sound.

MaxPF

AGNTSA
I had a V-10 Chevrolet 3/4 ton awhile back and averaged 8 miles to the gallon..

No, you didn't. Depending on the year, it was either a 454 or an 8.1L, both of which are big V-8's.

GM did internally build and test some LS-based V-10's, but high fuel prices and low demand for big gas engines (everyone wanted a DMax anyway) killed it.

And yes, the Ford V-10's are serious gas guzzlers. They make an H2 look like a Prius by comparison :p

M

MUTAINT

Sorry Dave GM never produced a V10 for retail sale.

As far as the Excursion goes. My uncle bought a V10 new and sold it in 3 months for the powerstroke version. Couldn't stand the mileage. He still has the Powerstroke Excursion today. I think he has over 200k on it now and still runs like a top. The V10 did sound very cool.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Thanks for all of the comments guys. Hes not getting it, cant justify it enough to purchase it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went back and looked and I don't still have any paperwork on the truck. I also researched GM V-10s and can't find where they made one, only where they looked into making one. I would have bet money on it but clearly I am wrong.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a friend that is a Ford dealer. He loves his Excursions. Whenever a low mileage diesel 4x4 Excursion comes up he buys it and sells the one he has. He uses it to run to his cabin in Mammoth.