Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks

Bugout Bag Tools #5 - Shelter / Covering

Although it is possible to craft shelter and clothing in the wilds, it takes a lot of primitive skills knowledge, practice and the right resources (animal, plant, tools and terrain) to do it. Two additional problems to consider are exposure and calories. Crafting items in the wilderness will require you to expend a lot of energy when you will need to conserve it the most and have the least access to replace what you spend. Exposure to extremes of heat or cold will kill you. Water will speed the onset of hypothermia in cold environments. Realizing that you should have packed some covering / shelter options in your bag is best done before an emergency, and not while standing in the freezing rain in wet clothes with no shelter in site. Likewise, the lack of shelter can make an overnight in the snowy woods fatal. You will need to insulate yourself from the weather above, the cold of the ground and the movement of the wind.

Your first defense is your clothing, which needs to be tailored to your environment. I'll not cover that here because the options and decisions are too varied. It is up to you to pack what you think you might need, but always consider the worst case scenario with only yourself and your packed kit to rely on. Assume that what you are wearing when the emergency occurs might be torn, burned, soaked, etc.

Some options for shelter:

Poncho, preferably a large one with eyelets. You can wear it over your clothing while moving or tie it up to trees to serve as a lean-to when stationary. Get one with a hood that can be closed to prevent leaks. Be sure that it is angled well to prevent water from pooling.

Poncho Liner! One of the absolute best inventions known to man. I can't count the number of nights that this item has kept me from freezing. It feels like a blanket, but weighs almost nothing. It will keep you warm even when wet. Get one of these, hell, get two! I have literally laid one on the ground and used the other as a blanket in below freezing temperatures and slept warmly (a layer of leaves helps with ground insulation). I consider this item "a must have."

100% Wool blanket. Heavier than a poncho liner, but effective. 100% wool will keep you warm even when wet. Do not trust anything that is not 100%. There is a reason that the military used to issue these, they work. Be sure to get the ones that are tightly sewn, so air can't pass through easily.

Tarp. You can use a variety of tarps, but I'd go with cotton duck material. You can make a basic tent or lean-to out of these if they have eyelets or ties. I would go with at least 7' x 7' in size. This material is slow to saturate with water and dries quickly in the open air. Like all coverings, packing them wet will cause mildew. It is not too heavy to carry in small sizes.

Drum Liner or Trash Bag. Large, heavy trash bags or drum liners are cheap and effective for repelling water. You can make a simple tent or lean-to, cut holes to wear it as a poncho, or even lay it on the ground to give you and your gear a dry place to sit. You can also pack your gear in them to keep it dry while carrying it in the rain. There are a lot of options for this cheap item. I always carry at least two.

Sleeping Bag. Your choice here. Adds a lot of bulk and weight. Highly recommended for extremely cold environments.

Hammock. Nice for getting off of the ground (think water, reptiles, etc.). Some of these only weigh a pound or two and have little bulk.

A nice combination is a poncho for cover, a hammock for a bed and a poncho liner or two for blankets. I'd consider that living like a boss in the woods with little weight or bulk. A heavy trash bag on the ground below me would keep my gear dry.
    Last edited by Paladine71; 06-10-2012 at 02:12 AM.

It's a Wolf, in Wolf's Clothing!

Non Timebo Mala!
    In Omnia Paratus!
    RLTW!
    KD0RNT

Garage: http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=10
    Mod Pics Folder 1:
    http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/album.php?albumid=14
    Mod Pics Folder 2:
    http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/album.php?albumid=15

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paladine71 For This Useful Post:

3Hummers (06-10-2012), Bigunit (06-10-2012), HUMMER INVESTMENTS (06-10-2012), Pappibri (06-15-2012)

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
    Thanks
    So what do you carry in your bag then for covering?
    OLAN- "Hogget" - Black Sheep Hummer Squad

1999 Hummer H1 (Black) l Sold
    2003 Hummer H1 (Black) l 2003 LB7 Duramax l Allison transmission l Alpha Interior l

Guardian Angel

Thanks
    I always carry a USMC poncho with me pretty much everywhere. It can be used for pretty much anything and takes up little space.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks
    At present, I carry two heavy drum liners, an 8' x 8' cotton duck camo tarp (with bungee cords), poncho and two poncho liners in my bugout bag. Each of my family members has two bugout bags, one with ponchos and additional poncho liners and drum liners. Our second bugout bags contain extra clothing, including full camo Gortex suits (boots, pants and hooded jackets) with Scent-lock and Thinsulate. For extreme temps and weather, I know how to craft shelters from natural materials (debris shelter, etc.).

Might seem like a lot but it packs small and the weight isn't too bad at all. I learned many years ago "if you pack too light, you freeze at night."

Non Timebo Mala!
    In Omnia Paratus!
    RLTW!
    KD0RNT

Garage: http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=10
    Mod Pics Folder 1:
    Mod Pics Folder 2:

All Terrain
    Thanks
    One of my favorites is a space blanket. They're tiny, light, and will effectively reflect a lot of your body heat while shedding water. They're even available as a pouch so it's more of a sleeping bag. They're not a long term solution, nor a stand-alone solution, but using one as an add-on and being careful with it gives you cheap additional capability.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abearden View Post
    One of my favorites is a space blanket. They're tiny, light, and will effectively reflect a lot of your body heat while shedding water. They're even available as a pouch so it's more of a sleeping bag. They're not a long term solution, nor a stand-alone solution, but using one as an add-on and being careful with it gives you cheap additional capability.
    Good catch, I have those as well. I have several of the small ones in my med kit and the heavy military ones in my bugout bags. I forgot about those.

As you said, they are not a stand alone fix, you can freeze in them. I use mine to reflect the fire back to me by using them on the underside of my tarp or poncho.

Non Timebo Mala!
    In Omnia Paratus!
    RLTW!
    KD0RNT

Mod Pics Folder 1:
    Mod Pics Folder 2:

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
    Thanks
    With all your "Buggout Bags" in the Hummer, how much will it way?

2003 Hummer H1 (Black) l 2003 LB7 Duramax l Allison transmission l Alpha Interior l

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks
    Not too much actually. I consider all of my gear for size, weight, durability and effectiveness. Hopefully, I'll never need to bugout, but emergencies happen too fast and unexpected. Either you are ready, or you are a victim.

Non Timebo Mala!
    In Omnia Paratus!
    RLTW!
    KD0RNT

Mod Pics Folder 1:
    Mod Pics Folder 2:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,364 Times in 1,121 Posts
    I carry a 25 degree sleeping bag liner in my truck at all times and have a multi layer 4 season sleeping bag in my bug out closet. I have a poncho but not large trash bags. I have used them before as ponchos but don't have any in my stash. Good idea.
    1998 H1 Open Top
    1994 H1 HMC4
    1992 H1 HMC4 LE
    1990 1025 Armament Carrier

KJ6JCC

BlackSheep Hummer Squadron, H1 PsychoSquad

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladine71 View Post
    Not too much actually. I consider all of my gear for size, weight, durability and effectiveness. Hopefully, I'll never need to bugout, but emergencies happen too fast and unexpected. Either you are ready, or you are a victim.
    Rouch guess, how much weight do you carry in gear?

Hammer Down!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Paladine71,
    Great thread, but better yet, great series of preparedness threads - as thay contain a lot of very good information for a lot of like-minded people in our forum community!

Thank you for providing this "community" service!
    Last edited by Bigunit; 06-10-2012 at 07:52 PM.
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    John Wayne

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,364 Times in 1,121 Posts
    I have picked up a lot of good pointers from these threads. Very helpful.
    1998 H1 Open Top
    1994 H1 HMC4
    1992 H1 HMC4 LE
    1990 1025 Armament Carrier

KJ6JCC

BlackSheep Hummer Squadron, H1 PsychoSquad

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
    Thanks
    Love reading how everyone is getting / is extremely prepared or know what to bring on certain excursions.

Low Profile
    Thanks
    I use to have a 2 man Kelty Ultra light backpackers tent but sold it recently. Very lightweight (about 5 pounds) with rain cover. Easy/fast set up. At 11' long, lots of room for 2 plus gear. http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/pro...2_2955crx.aspx My portable shelter now is a 4 man dome. Too heavy for backpacking but great on the Motorcycle or carried in the H3. Wind and rain are two of the conditions I most try to compensate for. Wet and cold is simply no fun.

A set of polypropylene long johns, fleece pants/jacket, hiking shorts and a Gortex rainsuit is about as versatile a clothing combination as I've found. Just about any temperature range from freezing to the 90's can be managed with that combination - and its lightweight, packable, easily washable, and dries quickly. Add a pair of solid hiking boots with 2 pair of HD wool socks and I'm good to go. A pair of cordura nylon Cross country skiing gaiters are a nice lightweight item to have. Afix to your hiking boots for anything from ticks, to snakes, brush/rock scrapes or snow.
    Last edited by Flash; 06-11-2012 at 09:50 AM.
    '06 H3 Lux
    Slate Blue Metallic, camel leather heated seats, monsoon, shortened antenna, Line-X'd custom roof rack , OEM rocker rails, OEM UCP, Hunner skids, Duratrac 285's, Fox reserve resevoir shocks, GM performance air intake, and a little bit of chrome. THCI - HOPE

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HUMMER INVESTMENTS View Post
    Rouch guess, how much weight do you carry in gear?
    I'll weigh my bugout bags when I get home. As for the HUMMER, I have no earthly idea. Since I use the Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Seat Covers, I have a lot in the pouches. The only way to really tell would be to do a full packout and then visit the CAT scales. That might be a good idea for this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigunit View Post
    Great thread, but better yet, great series of preparedness threads - as thay contain a lot of very good information for a lot of like-minded people in our forum community!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Hummers View Post
    I have picked up a lot of good pointers from these threads. Very helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by HUMMER INVESTMENTS View Post
    Love reading how everyone is getting / is extremely prepared or know what to bring on certain excursions.
    Thanks guys! I realize that there are probably some that don't think this is the proper place for threads of this type, or don't see the need for it. Some might even think that preparing for an unknown emergency is crazy or paranoid. That's fine. I hope that the exchange of ideas benefits at least some of us. I'm a student as well, and am always open to learn new things. If even one life is someday saved by some of the information exchanged here, that makes it all worthwhile.

Non Timebo Mala!
    In Omnia Paratus!
    RLTW!
    KD0RNT

Mod Pics Folder 1:
    Mod Pics Folder 2:

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Paladine71 For This Useful Post:

cgalpha08 (06-11-2012)