• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Water Storage

LagunaH1

What is everyone's thoughts on using the water that sits in your water heater for short term emergencies?

My water heater has 45 gallons in it and for obvious reasons, this water is continuously replenished / cycled under normal conditions

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
That water would be fine. Juat connect a hose to the drain at the bottom, turn off the circuit breaker for the water heater (if you still have power) and you have 45 gal. of potable water. Only problem is, that a water heater filled with 45 gal. of water isn't very mobile or light. If you don't need to evacuate, you are good to go but if that's the case and you happen to have a swimming pool or "cement pond" you would have a water supply of several hundred or thousands of gallons of water but you would want to boil it first.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapataint

Hunner

When I was cruising on the boat I used one of the large size filters that listed most everything when filling my on board water tank. I also added the recommended amount of bleach. It holds 40 gallons and before I did that in a few months there were things growing in there. I also use a final filter at the tap but still prefer bottled water for hydration.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Has anyone heard about what is going on in West Virginia right now? Several people that I know haven't had reliable water in several days. The worst part is that they have no idea when it'll be safe to use again. That just goes to prove the wisdom of storing water long term.

Big2dabank

I use the Aqutainer for camping trips
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    650.8 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    731.9 KB · Views: 381
I absolutely suggest the Rotopax system. You can stack containers, and they are also much lighter then 5 gallons containers. I believe mine are 2 1/2 gallons each... And yes easy to fill and easy to pour.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Sceptors have never leaked. ( either the water or diesel cans ) I also have the pour spouts and have not had a spill issue when using them.

ImNoSaint

For the past two years a pair of these six-gallon Kirk Containers Samson Stackers located in what used to be the footwells of the rear passenger seating have provided excellent water storage and dispensing.
attachment.php

Teflon tape keeps them watertight. Their location allows quick access. We cycle through both tanks every thirty days in keeping everybody hydrated, and when camping, 12 gallons last four days with two adults and two large dogs.

Attachments

• DSCF1385.jpg
    DSCF1385.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
I can only speak of ^^^ from personal experience, but what ever you do
DO NOT BUY THIS AS A WATER STORAGE DEVICE

It sucks the big one!
Its hard to pour without spilling, they leak, its heavy and can be awkward

I disagree I have being using this for a few years now and it works great. To poor u tilt can on the side, open larger valve a little and then smaller to get air in. Works like a charm to wash hands or dishes. But being 5 gal the are heavy.

Chrome_Runner

Im looking to have something fabbed up to fit under the truck, like in the rear bumper or something like that.

There's a perfect compartment for water storage I found while fixing some rust, inside part of the fender tube on the rear passenger doors. It's three 10mm bolts, and at least one clip that needs to be popped to get enough clearance to drop some small packs.

uc

uc

You can throw in some of these:
water.jpg

And don't forget one of these!
e3279188bace6aa5c1ac820de79767d4_medium.png