• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Water Storage

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Im looking to have something fabbed up to fit under the truck, like in the rear bumper or something like that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

abearden

I toss a food grade barrel in the bed. Usually has 10-15 gallons in it.

The aquatainers are cool, but many reports of them splitting.

I wouldn't rely on grocery store water to still be around when I need it: they split pretty easily.

Nacho

Now with Chese
Thanks guys. I was thinking of using them for both long term storage at home and then I could grab a few to take along camping. that way the water gets used and refreshed periodically.

abearden

For small use, i find that laundry detergent containers work well if you can get all of the soap out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
DON'T use containers that aren't food grade or ever held chemicals for water except as an absolute last resort (only container for miles in the desert). It's bad for your health because no matter how much you think you got it out, you probably didn't, and you can't guarantee non-food containers won't leach chemicals into the water.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Two other options here....

You could get prepackaged emergency water with a long shelf life, like Mainstay, for example. Most of it will stay good for years and is approved by the U.S. Coast Guard. It is also unaffected by heat / cold and will keep well in your rig. I have a small bag of these packets in all of my vehicles. I'll post up a pic when I get home from work today.

I also keep the weight down some by keeping three methods of water purification with me. I'll start a new thread on filtering and purifying soon.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Here is a pic of one of my water bags. You don't have to worry about this water going stale for five years, it won't crush easily, won't be damaged by heat or cold and you can open what you need without compromising the rest of it. Very useful indeed.

P1010360.jpg

P1010361.jpg

We'll start a thread on water filtering and purification soon.

Flash

My Katadyn water filter has a 5 quart bag that screws onto the bottom. is flat when empty and very lightweight. Made from the same tough material as backpacks (x# denier nylon).

The katadyn also fits on Nalgene bottles.

Although these are not exactly like what I have - they are very close and at least give an idea of things to consider...
http://www.nitro-pak.com/products/water/water-filters-and-purifiers/katadyn-water-filters/katadyn-vario-dual-technology-microfilter-kit
http://www.nitro-pak.com/products/water/water-storage/nalgene-water-bottle-32-oz
http://www.rei.com/product/733956/msr-dromlite-2-liter

Last edited:

HUMMERDAD

Another way one can store water in a container designed forit, are at your local RV supplier heck even on the web. Hiker and campers haveto think about these issues all the time and the prices vary depending on yourneeds and wants. The products are strong and light weight and designed forwater storage. I cannot emphasize the importance of using the correctcontainers enough. Chemical poisoning through improper usage of containers canbe fatal to be direct.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A rarely thought of problem is that water can go bad after several months of storage. Most experts say that water should be rotated about every six months, especially if taken from a tap. Storing it in plastic containers that have only been used for this purpose (food grade) is a must, as HUMMERDAD mentioned. Do not use anything that has held other drinks (soda, milk, juice, etc.). Dark containers are better than clear ones because they block harmful light. Do not use glass because of the obvious safety issues.

If you want to store it and forget it, there are options. Ion Stabilized Oxygen can be added to water to purify it and store it for up to five years. This works similar to Sta-bil in gasoline. Here is a link: http://iondropsusa.com/ion_facts.htm

abearden

Paladine, I've not heard the 6 month expiration except from FEMA most mention rotating every 2 years. Adding a little plain bleach and making the container air tight should keep the water relatively indefinitely unless the container leaches into it (food grade containers should not unless exposed to heat). Flavor goes flat, but mixing between containers aerates it enough to restore the flavor. Just curious about source because I only rotate mine every other year (due to bio-growth paranoia :) ).

skeptic

When did this become a survival/prepper forum? Oh, well, I'm ok with that. :)

I've been using one of those Aqua-tainer jugs like in the first post for camping for about 5 years. The only difference is mine has a little flexible plastic plug for the air vent instead of what appears to be a screw on cap. Of course it broke and I lost it on a trip last year, but for short term camping it's just fine.

One common misconception - sealed bottled water in a food grade container does not go bad. It can acquire some of the taste from whatever it's in, but if it stays sealed it lasts indefinitely. Over time the bottle and the water inside can pick up the taste and possibly chemicals of whats around it, so just keep them away from bad chemicals and such and they last forever even if the water doesn't taste fresh and clean after years of sitting on a dusty shelf.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I think the real concern is the stuff in the water when you put it in the storage container. Water from the tap is not pure and contains all sorts of interesting things in it that probably shouldn't go into your body. If the water is pure, kept in a sealed plastic container and kept away from heat and light, it would probably be okay. I agree with the taste being less than pleasant after a while, and do not want bleach in my water unless an emergency calls for it. Tastes like sh*t. I've even used emergency potable water in metal cans (coated interior) that was packed for five years. Wouldn't trust dented cans after a while.

abearden

When did this become a survival/prepper forum? Oh, well, I'm ok with that. :)
I noticed this morning half the new posts where prep. I don't mind either.:thumbs:
One common misconception - sealed bottled water in a food grade container does not go bad. It can acquire some of the taste from whatever it's in, but if it stays sealed it lasts indefinitely. Over time the bottle and the water inside can pick up the taste and possibly chemicals of whats around it, so just keep them away from bad chemicals and such and they last forever even if the water doesn't taste fresh and clean after years of sitting on a dusty shelf.
Not entirely true. The plastic can break down overtime if exposed to heat/light/chemicals, particularly the thin stuff. The cooler and darker, the longer they'll last though!
I think the real concern is the stuff in the water when you put it in the storage container. Water from the tap is not pure and contains all sorts of interesting things in it that probably shouldn't go into your body. If the water is pure, kept in a sealed plastic container and kept away from heat and light, it would probably be okay. I agree with the taste being less than pleasant after a while, and do not want bleach in my water unless an emergency calls for it. Tastes like sh*t. I've even used emergency potable water in metal cans (coated interior) that was packed for five years. Wouldn't trust dented cans after a while.
Gotcha. My supply is in food grade barrels and lightly bleach treated to prevent growth. If there's an emergency, I'll set the water out and let the chlorine evaporate but I won't mind it at all because it ensures my water will be drinkable. Given it sits for 2 years at a time, any sediment should settle out. Still hoping I never have to drink it!:whaa:

Trekker

That Guy
I have a couple of the scepter military water cans that I use for camping but my main water storage is 5-gallon drinking water jugs:

5-gallon-water-container.jpg

I also keep several cases of bottled water in .5 liter bottles. My thinking on the drinking water jugs is my family uses them in our water cooler daily so I'm really just stocking up on something we already use. They come sealed from our supplier and stamped with a bottling date, so I don't need to treat the water. I keep about 8-10 extra full jugs and just rotate them in with our normal drinking water supply so the water never gets stale. I can easily load them in my Hummer if I need to bug out. You can also get your own caps if you want to refill them with tap water and use a hand pump. Lastly, I can always get my $6 each deposit back on the empties.

Flash

One needs to consider what types of scenarios they are preparing for. Water storage (in quantity) typically means it is less portable and thus stationary. Are you preparing for a short duration power outtage (day, week, month) or a long term social breakdown of services like months or years? A quality water filtration device is portable and provides useable water where ever you are. Even at home. Again, I think backpackers and specifically ultra light backpackers are a solid resource of information for those looking at preparation scenarios. Backpacking gear (boots, cloathes, shelter, cook stoves, water filtration, tools, utensils, etc) should be at the forefront of one's evaluation and preparation. 1. there is only so much space either in your home, vehicle, backpack etc. 2. at some point you will have to be mobile. 3. either you will be mobile solo or in a group. 4. contingencies should be considered for both.

Last edited:

Trekker

That Guy
One needs to consider what types of scenarios they are preparing for. Water storage (in quantity) typically means it is less portable and thus stationary. A quality water filtration device is portable and provides useable water where ever you are. Even at home. Again, I think backpackers and specifically ultra light backpackers are a solid resource of information for those looking at preparation scenarios. Backpacking gear (boots, cloathes, shelter, cook stoves, water filtration, tools, utensils, etc). 1. there is only so much space either in your home, vehicle, backpack etc. 2. at some point you will have to be mobile. 3. either you will be mobile solo or in a group. 4. contingencies should be considered for both.

Excellent points! I think location plays a big factor in the amount/method of water storage too. In the Midwest where I live you are never more than a mile or two from a large body of water that can be treated or filtered. However, if you live in the Southwest, your water storage/collection strategy will be different. I have several of the backpacker type water filters that you reference and they are excellent. I recommend the Katadyn Hiker.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Agreed. The most common recommendation for long term power outages is a gallon of water per person per day. That's enough for drinking, food preparation and some hygiene. That's just a rule of thumb and everyone's needs will be different. People don't think about long term power loss, but large disasters like Katrina show us our vulnerabilities. If the grid is down, so are your electric water pumps unless you've planned with a generator, and how long will that last?

It's wise to run a test on these kinds of things to assess your individual needs. Turn off the power for a weekend sometime and see where your vulnerabilities are.