• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Camping / Emergency Axe

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Knowing that cutting tools are extremely important for emergencies and camping, I'm curious to see what axes you guys use.

I use a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe. It is expensive, but this is an area that I know quality counts. I use Plasti Dip on mine to protect the wood and improve the grip. I used a black dye and leather preserver for the sheath.

P1010343.jpg

P1010344.jpg

Mounted in my H3 with Quick Fists.

P1010350.jpg

Here is a video where Ray Mears discusses it.

[video=youtube;X5W6r5U7yBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5W6r5U7yBE[/video]

Last edited:

Trekker

That Guy
I have the SOG Fusion. For the most part I like it, but I wouldn't recommend it for chopping. There's just something really unnatural about the handle. I think it's too small so it's not easy to grip. I may try wrapping some grip tape to see if that improves the feel. Just my 2 cents.

sog_fusion_vietnam_tactical_tomahawk.jpg

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Never thought of putting quick fists there - pretty cool. Unfortunately, my only axe has been whatever someone else is carrying. I do need to get one and I like the Plastidip idea too.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
What qualities are you seeking in a good axe for light camping and perhaps clearing a fallen tree across the trail? Talking maybe three days' use per year.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I look for light, tough, quality material and quality construction. Like Ray said in the video, I like mine because it's light enough for one hand, big enough for two hands, extreme quality of material and construction (made by experts in Sweden) and really tough. It's also important that I can carry it easy in a pack for hiking and scouting.

Here is the website for further research on this company: http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/index.html

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I am gonna look into buying one...I love the quick fists by the window. That is exactly what I am talking about when I search for compact, strong and lightweight. It fits all 3 of these especially seeing it is tucked away by the window.

Pappibri

The two that I have are really old.. That Fiskars looks real good.. Especially at that price.. I would only use it maybe 15 days out of a year anyway..

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
To keep the axe sharp, I use the Lansky Puck. This whetstone is easy to carry and has two sides, course and mild, to bring your blade to a very sharp edge. Of course, you should still use a leather belt to remove the smallest metal barbs that can affect cutting. Usable wet or dry. Recommended.

P1010359.jpg

JonBishop

will that sog fusion fit in the back window spot where Paladine has his mounted? that thing looks sweet! and the price isnt to bad either

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
After several discussions with my Army Sapper friend, I broke down and got the Ontario Spax-16 rescue axe. He had some very good experiences and stories about this axe. Very well-made and more than adequate for camping/emergency use. I also figured that if I ever need to, I can use it to turn on fire hydrants! :shifty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4dyBTlhuIo

!CD7fQ8gEWk~$(KGrHqUOKjcE0)(kC1QRBNQL+rg-3g~~_1.JPG

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
I have a Spax too. It's attached to my GoBag in a way that is accessible while wearing the pack. The pack sits against the back of the center console, which makes the Spax also accessible from either the driver or passenger seat. The passengers in the rear seats can also have access to it. It's not a full on axe to build extensive structures, but enough to build a hide, and it doubles as a weapon.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Sircode13

Looks like now I've got to go and get me one of these Spax for my bug out bag too. Sounds and looks very useful.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2