• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

What emergency gear do you keep in your HUMMER?

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Most of us keep some basic tools and comfort items in our rigs. What emergency items do you keep in your HUMMER besides your "bugout" bag? :corn:

Rig Pig

Petroleum Transfer Tech.
I just have my assorted tools, 1st Aide kit, fire extinguisher, blankets, cell booster,road flares, tow rope,iffy pen,...I have a nice box I keep it all in as I mentioned I use mine while working and certain companies require you have these in and so I just keep them in there all the time now requarless working or not.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I keep 2 sets of wrenches, a socket set, shackles, tow rope, flashlight, tie downs, and one of those window breaker and seatbelt cutters

To be added shortly....first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and road flares.

Edit: also have an emergency blanket stowed away too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Kurt

-Iridium Sat Phone Kit
-VHF/UHF handheld [ham]
-CB handheld
-Flare kit
-Water
-Big case o' spare H1 parts
-Big case o' tools for parts
-Extinguisher
-First aid kits
-LED flashlight for each passenger
-Spare batteries
-Fluid assortment
-spare fuses, test light and cheap meter.
-Paper maps and off road trail atlas book
-Compass

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I keep all my spare parts, tools, CB, HAM radio, fire ext., flashlights, recovery gear, GPS, recovery gear, spare fluids, major first aid kit, etc. My go bag is in whatever vehicle I am in. Flashlights, water, snacks, knife, ammo, pistol, small first aid kit, spare set of clothes.

Pappibri

I keep a bag of tools, blanket, water, towrope, flashlight, floodlight, First Aid Kit, Protein bars, Nuts, breakdown mini-shovel.. Have to think a lil bit more....:huh:

abearden

The BOB goes into the truck when I use it, beyond that I have a few extra space blankets, and lifeboat ration bars (6x 3600 calories, 2 people for 3 days in cold climates). Some might consider my water carry to be excessive as well (usually 10-15 gallons, even for just the weekend). But, worst case I hang out and tune the radio(s) for a few days before rescuers show up. :)

The rest can really be considered normal offroad/camping stuff.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I've pretty much resigned myself to being one of the first survivors to go; I don't have this preparedness. I'll probably have to shoot Gunner in the leg to ensure I can outrun him, before I get taken out myself in a few (episodes) days. :emb:

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dan, Dark side of the moon is primary, Animals is backup.

Alex.....no need to shoot, I have been told I run like the breaking wind.....so you probably have me beat from the get go.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.....sorry.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I carry this stuff in my trunk at ALL times. A toolbox to repair most of the basics and certain specifics like halfshafts, balljoints and tie rods. So from a tools aspect I have most everything I need to be self sufficient to do repairs. I carry one halfshaft, a tie rod and a lower balljoint for spares. I have zip ties of all sizes as they can fix anything with a creative mind, 2 blankets, a smittybilt foldable shovel (thanks blacksheep, tim and the moab raffle!) coolant, a jacket, heavy pants, boots, a fire extinguisher, more spare clothes like t shirts, socks, etc. water, gatorade, small amounts of food (working on getting more emergency high calorie type meals) Battery jumper (awesome when no one else is around)

I have more stuff, I just need to think and go through it all. My plan is to organize it and keep weight in mind. To me this isnt a vehicle I will buy, wheel for a few years and sell it. It is a long term ownership type deal. I may get a DD later on but with that said I am slowly preparing it to be ready for everything and anything. I hate being dependent on others so by the time I am done I hope to have a reliable DD that is ready for some hard, tough and challenging trails ranging from, sand, rocks, dirt, mud, etc and carry all my emergency stuff.

Everything I buy from here on out will have a few things that need to meet criteria, compact, light and durable. I wanna save room and use it wisely and keep the weight down for wheeling.

is350

Some of the more important things i have: 200 piece tool set, first aid, blankets, lighters, axe, flashlights, vehicle recovery straps,small fold up shovel, N95 respirator masks, and a hilift( i think an invaluable tool for emergencies).

Last edited:

deserth3

For the most part I carry just the basic stuff for everyday travel. One thing I have managed to add is a 25x25 foot square chunk of Mylar.
I figure if worse comes to worse a big chunk of shinny silver stuff in the desert should get their attention.

Flash

High lift jack on the roof rack
CB
Waterproof tarp
Camo netting
3 fire extinguishers
6 ton bottle jack
Jumper cables
Rope
4"x30' strap
Blankets (2)
Tire gauge
Airdown gauge
15# Co2 tank
1 tool bag with gerenal purpose tools/sockets/wrenchs
Trenching shovel
Frisby - (games, collects/holds water, makeshift bowl, etc)
Nuvi GPS navigation
Gloves

LED maglite on key ring
Spyderco in pocket
Swiss army knife in pocket
Hankerchief in pocket

Go bag -
Lots of stuff - but primary item is a water purifier with 2 ceramic filters.

eta: a few years back SOF (Soldier of Fortune) had an atricle on NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) preparedness. The bottom line is that if one prepares for natural disasters like Tornados, Snow storms, Floods, Draught, Riots, etc, then one is pretty much prepared for anything. It doesn't take a lot of extra gear - some general purpose camping gear is a basic beginning. The real trick is to understand the multipurpose uses of various common items (like a hankerchief can be a filter strainer, a sunhat, a tournequet bandage, even a snot rag)-(an AA mini-maglite is the same dimensions as a Kuboton and legal on airplanes)-(a camera monopod can serve as a hiking stick, cane, club, tent support, etc and is legal on airplanes)-(the same gortex rainsuit that serves you on the golf course, also works on the motorcycle or fishing on the boat and even works as cloathing while backpacking). note: Honey never spoils.

I think ultra light backpackers have pretty much nailed the minimalist approach to survival. They are a great study in making do with not very much. Well worth the research time.

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I am bumping this thread for an opinion....

Yesterday my brother and I were discussing some of the modifications we have planned out in the future and one thing I mentioned was dialing in on weight distribution. I know it sounds silly but I think it helps a lot off road. The rear end has a lot of added weight compared to the front so the goal is to make the rear lighter and the front will become a bit heavier with a winch. As time has gone by I have become much more conscious about weight (compared to 3-4 years ago when I first started) and how adding lots of it can do us a disservice on the trail, yet going light will hurt you too in case you run into trouble.

He thinks one of the things that helps him is the little amount of added weight he has. Other then bumpers and a winch, he has ZERO added weight and I mean absolutely zero. He has no trail tools, no trail spares, no compressor, no fluids, no hi lift, no tow strap the only thing he has is the ability to change a tire and thats with factory jack that comes in all vehicles. He does carry food and water when on the trail in a cooler which adds about 5 pounds :huh:

While I think that isnt the answer, I am on the opposite extreme, have I gone to far and added too much?

I carry trail tools which includes specialty tools for common fixes, a sledge, 2 tie rods, one halfshaft, clothes for cold weather, boots, 2 blankets, a hi lift, a tow strap, water and non perishable foods that stay in the truck at all times, 2 mini foldable shovels, 3 u joints for driveshafts, a lower ball joint, pry bar, a compressor, a battery jumper (so I can jump myself with no one else around,) jumper cables, zip ties, arb tire repair kit, trail food and drinks, a fire extinguisher, Power steering fluid, coolant, brake fluid. Thats all I can think of right now but I am sure I have some more....

So I am sure the typical wheeler carries more then my brother but are trail spares "a hummer thing" due to a weaker front end? Just not sure if I have gone too far. Seeing I carry all this stuff too, my brother has no desire to get his own **** but I am sure one day he will break something and will be stuck then he will learn the hard way...

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
I don't have much in the way of emergency gear. :(

A basic first aid kit, blanket, couple bottles of water, flashlights, couple knives, matches, and a few other odds and ends.

Sent with Tapacrack

R

R-code17815

I don't have much in the way of emergency gear. :(

A basic first aid kit, blanket, couple bottles of water, flashlights, couple knives, matches, and a few other odds and ends.

Sent with Tapacrack

Same here but, I just started a Bug out bag so, Imma just buy 2 of everything, keep one set in the bag & stash a set around the Hummer.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chris you are touching on an age old question. Obviously lighter is better but when you bend a tie rod in the middle of the Mojave Desert and 12:00 AM suddenly the weight of parts and tools isn't so bad. And that is the dilemma. We have lost everything from fuel pumps to t-cases on runs and you can't bring it all. Best answer I know of is to bring the most common trail fix parts and the tools to replace them. If you are running with like trucks yo can coordinate with a running buddy to split the load and not duplicate everything. I am bringing a spare t case, starter, steering gear, fuel pump, injection pump, tie rods, radius rods, idler, pitman, half shafts, ball joints, belts, etc to Moab. Most of it will stay on the trailer but it will be there.