• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Question on TCM

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
If you are replacing a PCM you are replacing the TCM, as well as the ECM.

So, if you are talking about your 06 the answer is yes. The PCM (powertrain control module) contains the TCM (transmission control module) and the ECM (engine control module) thus the name POWERTRAIN control module; therefore you cannot just replace the TCM. And with a new PCM it needs a ECM and TCM calibration flash to make it work.

I believe this is true for 07 too. However, in 08, GM went with separate controllers. A TCM mounted above the ECM so in that case, the ECM would not need a reflash if the TCM was replaced with a stock calibration.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
thanks, I pulled a P0973 and I believe I only had 2nd and 3rd gear.

No trans issues just electronics telling the trans not go into certain gears.

I think they replaced a solenoid or the entire PCM/TCM. They called saying it would be done but my dash became a light show...so now there working on why that happened.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
update: Got my H3 back on friday and all was well. Today is monday and I pulled a P1815...WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant keep that ****in CEL off I am really pist right now.

Does anyone have a complete list on H3 Specific OBD II codes. I am assuming its trans related....Sometimes OBDIIcodes.com is not good enough. I need H3 specific codes.

What pisses me off is the amount of down time my rig has seen this year. about a good week for the rancho kit, then more frustrations with the leaf springs, then getting the head issue taken care of, then it seeing the shop again after the head issue, then the trans issue, and now the trans issue again all on top of normal up keep. WTF

EDIT: Now that my rant is over and I have calmed down, on a positive note atleast all this happened at home and not in moab.

Last edited:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
update: Got my H3 back on friday and all was well. Today is monday and I pulled a P1815...WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant keep that ****in CEL off I am really pist right now.

Does anyone have a complete list on H3 Specific OBD II codes. I am assuming its trans related....Sometimes OBDIIcodes.com is not good enough. I need H3 specific codes.

What pisses me off is the amount of down time my rig has seen this year. about a good week for the rancho kit, then more frustrations with the leaf springs, then getting the head issue taken care of, then it seeing the shop again after the head issue, then the trans issue, and now the trans issue again all on top of normal up keep. WTF

EDIT: Now that my rant is over and I have calmed down, on a positive note atleast all this happened at home and not in moab.

P1815

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) Valve Position Switch - Start in Wrong Range
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I have a PDF I made up of all 2006-2008 DTCs for the H3. Not sure how to post a pdf on here...

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
FYI, if they added the TCM in 07 it would have been mid year when they did the did the other changes, like the window switches, reservoir bottles, etc. My early 07 still has the 06 style PCM.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Now is that a problem from age, wear and tear or they screwed up when doing other trans work?

Steve #1

FYI, if they added the TCM in 07 it would have been mid year when they did the did the other changes, like the window switches, reservoir bottles, etc. My early 07 still has the 06 style PCM.

This was done at the 08 model year change in conjunction with the OBDII switch over to CAN.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
This was done at the 08 model year change in conjunction with the OBDII switch over to CAN.
It was actually due to internal conflict within GM engineering departments and the warranty hits against engine vs. transmission groups. With separate modules, the actual warranty hit was directed against the correct group. One of the reasons GM went the way they did. Internal conflict between engineering groups was ludicrous (but funny to watch and listen to in meetings).

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Just called Zach and got the part I need...im gonna do this one myself. I have never really done trans work, this one seems simple though...pull the pan and its a switch I need to replace any advice? Ill do a write up if im the first to do it...

bebe

Not much to do with that trans is as easy as you think. If you are going to drop the pan, might as well be prepared and do a filter change and a fluid change.

Make sure you get the right filter...!!! There are two, and the one that should be the right one never is LOL. Get a part # from Zack, and it still may not be right. I think in the end we just bought both and took the one we didn't use back to Napa.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Pan is coming down...I will use new fluid of course but can I use the same filter? The dealer replaced a bad solenoid to allow my trans to actually shift out of 2nd and 3rd gear, WOOHOO! the filter and fluid has less then 600 miles on it.

Is there any other maintenance items or anything I should examine for wear while I have the pan down?

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
If you are replacing a PCM you are replacing the TCM, as well as the ECM.

So, if you are talking about your 06 the answer is yes. The PCM (powertrain control module) contains the TCM (transmission control module) and the ECM (engine control module) thus the name POWERTRAIN control module; therefore you cannot just replace the TCM. And with a new PCM it needs a ECM and TCM calibration flash to make it work.

I believe this is true for 07 too. However, in 08, GM went with separate controllers. A TCM mounted above the ECM so in that case, the ECM would not need a reflash if the TCM was replaced with a stock calibration.

HA! I knew I didn't have to send my TCM (seperate) into pcm4less to get it flashed! :horns:

Doc Olds

It was actually due to internal conflict within GM engineering departments and the warranty hits against engine vs. transmission groups. With separate modules, the actual warranty hit was directed against the correct group. One of the reasons GM went the way they did. Internal conflict between engineering groups was ludicrous (but funny to watch and listen to in meetings).

:giggle: Nothing funnier than a group of engineers all in one room. :roll:

3772696.gif

johnlu69

Probationary Member
i just looked at my i believe tcm on my 08 hummer H3 not sure how to pull it out or diconnect the electical line. please advise.lol mez lost

4speedfunk

You might have to take the coolant reservoir tank loose to access the plugs at the main wiring harnesses. The chips themselves simply clip into some black plastic holders on the firewall. But the harness plugs have the same ridiculously complex mechanism that you see at the fuse block. It's a goofy locking lever type thing that GM uses. I guess it is supposed to prevent the user from bending the prongs but it's really more of a hassle than functional. You might want to google it or try to find a vid on YouTube. It's not difficult but it is hard to explain how to use this plug. A picture (or vid) is worth a thousand words...see it done once, and you'll be a pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk