• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Big Brother is at it again. The Automotive Black Box!

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
Anybody see this yet? :roll:

http://www.infowars.com/mandatory-big-brother-black-boxes-in-all-new-cars-from-2015/

A bill already passed by the Senate and set to be rubber stamped by the House would make it mandatory for all new cars in the United States to be fitted with black box data recorders from 2015 onwards.

Section 31406 of Senate Bill 1813 (known as MAP-21), calls for “Mandatory Event Data Recorders” to be installed in all new automobiles and legislates for civil penalties to be imposed against individuals for failing to do so.

“Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall revise part 563 of title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, to require, beginning with model year 2015, that new passenger motor vehicles sold in the United States be equipped with an event data recorder that meets the requirements under that part,” states the bill.

Although the text of legislation states that such data would remain the property of the owner of the vehicle, the government would have the power to access it in a number of circumstances, including by court order, if the owner consents to make it available, and pursuant to an investigation or inspection conducted by the Secretary of Transportation.

Given the innumerable examples of both government and industry illegally using supposedly privacy-protected information to spy on individuals, this represents the slippery slope to total Big Brother surveillance of every American’s transport habits and location data.

The legislation, which has been given the Orwellian title ‘Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act’, sailed through the Senate after being heavily promoted by Democrats Harry Reid and Barbara Boxer and is also expected to pass the Republican-controlled House.

Given the fact that the same bill also includes a controversial provision that would empower the IRS to revoke passports of citizens merely accused of owing over $50,000 in back taxes, stripping them of their mobility rights, could the mandatory black boxes or a similar technology be used for the same purpose?​
Biometric face-recognition and transdermol sensor technology that prevents an inebriated person from driving a car by disabling the automobile has already been developed, in addition to systems that refuse to allow the vehicle to start if the driver is deemed to be overtired.

The ultimate Big Brother scenario would be a system whereby every driver had to get de facto permission from the state to drive each time they get behind the wheel, once it had been determined from an iris scan that they were good citizens who have paid all their taxes and not misbehaved.​
The push to pressure car manufacturers to install black box tracking devices in all new cars has been ongoing for over a decade. In 2006, National Highway Traffic Safety Administrationencouraged but did not require automobile manufacturers to install the systems.

However, in February last year NHTSA administrator David Strickland said the government was considering making the technology mandatory in the wake of recalls of millions of Toyota vehicles.

Earlier this year it was reported that the NHTSA would soon formally announce that all new cars would be mandated to have the devices fitted by law, which has now been codified into the MAP-21 bill.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our idiot legislators have it in their minds that they have to pass laws to justify their existence. Maybe we should provide an incentive system whereby they earn more for less work. It would save us a fortune in the long run.

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
That a'int right... They may as well make cars autonomous if they're going to do this to us. At least that way I could send text messages while I "drive". :roll:

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
You'd be a fool to think this isn't already being used in today's vehicles. Police have the right to access a vehicles computer after an accident to investigate what was happening with the vehicle on impact----speed, deceleration, air bag activation, all kinds of good stuff. They can use the info to discover and prosecute a case based on what you were doing when the accident occurred. Take this basic info downloaded from the computer and combine it with the info from your cell phone (of course you were texting or yammering when you rear ended that Prius and killed the tree hugger driver) and lock you up.
Big brother's already ahead of you.........

deserth3

[video=youtube;N_vxhRyiQe0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_vxhRyiQe0[/video]

The end is comming. Don't know about the movie, but the book was great.

Steve #1

Most new cars already have this, so it is nothing new.
The information belongs to the owner of the vehicle but can be subpoenaed.
It's a two way street and the information can protect you if you are not in the wrong.
The flaw is that the push to make this manditory cam from the Toyota accelorator isue. The thory there is that either a floor mat or a faulty input device caused the vhicles to acclorate. In this case, the black box would still just see that the acclorator was being applied and not why it was being applied, but it would also see if the brakes wre being applied. I belive the new law also increases the the amount of data that is stored.

Ron B

I would think our gov is too busy enjoying it's fabulous health plan, bribes, passing pink slime off as "lean finely textured beef", telling us that the slice of pizza out kids eat at school is really a vegetable or insider trading to be bored by what goes on in our cars. I am pretty boring and happen to pay my taxes (unlike a few dozen Fortune 500 companies) so I really don't care except the extra cost that will be passed along to us and the possibility of the info being stolen/hacked.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Seems to me that as long as there are proper restrictions to assure privacy, this should only bother criminals and people with something to hide.

If a hit and run driver were to hit my mother, wife or daughter, I'd want the investigators to be able to access this information with a court order. If I were involved in an accident, I rather the investigators had access to more information to the correctly determine fault.

Those who have nothing to hide have nothing to fear.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mike, normally I would agree but with the way cell phone tracking and records are abused all over the country I just don't trust those in authority to abide by the rules. There has been a concerted assault on the constitution and our rights and they exploit every avenue to strip away our protections. I have gotten to the point where I oppose everything they try to do.

D

Dennis

I think anyone who has OnStar (active or inactive) is being monitored, or at least "They" can monitor your every move, whenever you Start the vehicle, whenever "They" want... So this is nothing surprizing...

LagunaH1