• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

NOW AVAILABLE: The H3/H3T Scorpworks Bushing Front Diff Crossmember

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
The H3 front diff. crossmember with the Scorpworks bushing (with a lifetime replacement guarantee/warranty*) is now available for purchase. For now, this is an H4O exclusive product available only on the forum. Here are the details:

What's Included With the Scorpworks Crossmember Bushing?

The prices below includes:

1) your selected style of H3 cross-member with all new pre-installed/pressed Scorpworks H3 bushings;
2) Grade 8 hardware (1/2" front diff carrier bolt, washers & lock washer) needed to install your front diff onto your cross-member; and
(Shipping charges for your replacement Scorpworks cross-member and your core cross-member are not included in price below. Please PM Preferred Chassis Fabrication for actual amount for shipping costs - there is no mark-up on shipping charges!)
To return your core/old cross-member to Scorpworks, you will receive a return, pre-paid shipping label with the shipment of your Scorpworks cross-member so that all you have to do is slap the pre-paid shipping label on the same box that you received your Scorpworks cross-member and place your core in the box & ship it back to us.

IN ADDITION: All "new style" Scorpworks H3 bushing cross-members come with a perfectly-aligned UCP tab already welded on with a pre-drilled OEM UCP bolt hole - so you will NOT need to worry about modifying your UCP or cross-member in order to re-mount your UCP. A new, dealer bought OEM "new style" crossmember does not come with the UCP tab already welded on.

(
SCORPWORKS H3 BUSHING/CROSS-MEMBER PRICING

If you send in:

In exchange for:

Price

Additional Refundable Core Charge**

Original Style CM

New Style CM

$200

$150

New Style CM

New Style CM

$225

$150

Original Style CM

Original Style CM

$225

$150

New Style CM

Original Style CM

$250

$150

Core Program

In order to supply the Scorpworks bushing front diff. crossmember, we need to have a rotating inventory of crossmembers to be able to exchange and replace the OEM bushing with the Scorpworks bushing. So, you will need to send us your old, worn out crossmember (either older or newer version) after you install your Scorpworks bushing front diff. crossmenmber. To insure the receipt of your old crossmember, so, in addition to the purchase prices above, initially you will be charged a $150.00 fully-refundable core charge. Your core charge will be refunded
immediately upon Scorpworks' receipt of your old cross-member.

Warranty Terms/Limitations/Exclusions

* Scorpworks bushing lifetime replacement guarantee/warranty: If the Scorpworks bushing wears out/fails at any time, for any reason and you ship us your crossmember with the worn out/failed bushing, Scorpworks will send you a replacement cross-member with a new Scorpworks bushing pre-installed, AT NO CHARGE. What's included - a new Scorpworks bushing
, Scorpworks-supplied Grade 8 bolt, washers, lock nut, internal bushing sleeve with keyed-head and labor to press-fit/preload the bushingi into the cross-member.

WARRANTY LIMITATIONS/EXCLUSIONS: 1) you must pay the shipping costs to send us your cross-member with the failed, worn-out Scorpworks bushing; 2) lifetime replacement guarantee does not cover replacement of a failed, damaged or otherwise unusable OEM cross-member, cross-member front diff bolts, retaining nuts and the concave bottom retainer washer (i.e., all the OEM front diff mounting hardware) due to failure, breakage, damage or wear of such parts. If in the sole discretion of Scorpworks, your OEM cross-member is un-useable due to damage, breakage or wear, you must pay the full-cost for a replacement cross-member.

** Core Charge will be refunded upon receipt of your old cross-member. You can save paying the core charge by sending us your old cross-member with worn-out OEM bushing FIRST!

Payment Options: Paypal, check or money order.

To order or ask any questions or your not sure what style of crossmember you have on your rig, you can contact Preferred Chassis Fabrication via PM or:

Dwaine Jungen
Preferred Chassis Fabrication Inc.
Home of the Scorpion
520-975-6498
www.scorpion4x4.com

As seen on the Discovery Channel Monster Garage
Tundrinator Episode 22

Discovery Channel Monster Garage
Rockem Sockem Robots - Episode 40

ScorpworksbushingfrontdiffCMs.jpg

Last edited:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
New H4O member GAATZBELL read about the Scorpworks bushing fix after an on-line search after finding out that his CM bushing was pretty much non-existant. He happens to be local (Air Force currently stationed here in Tucson). Welcome to the forum & thank you for your service!
:cheers:

He came acrooss the forum, registered and contacted me about picking one up. A couiple of weeks ago, he came by Dwaine's shop to get a Scorpworks bushing front fiff crossmember. The one in his '06 rig was in the worst I shape I had ever seen! We popped his out and replaced it with Dwaine's "fix". Here is a pic of the new red Scorpworks bushing pressed into the old style CM with the OEM keyed head.
DSC00423.jpg

DSC00425.jpg

DSC00426.jpg

Here are a couple pics after we installed it on Gary's rig.
DSC00431.jpg

DSC00435.jpg

DSC00434.jpg

Perfect fit, a happy customer and new wheeling partner! Let us know how it holds up by posting your periodic comments here on the forum.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
This project would not have happened without Dwiane's desire to want to help us out AND H4O member and friend of many here - ZACK!

I've already thanked Dwaine (more than once) but I also wanted to publicly thank ZACK for getting us started with our initial supply/inventory of cross-members. THANK YOU ZACK AND DWAINE!
:cheers: :cheers:

LagunaH1

What a fantastic offering!

If I still had an H3 I would absolutely have taken advantage of this. My cross member diff bushings lasted on average 10000 miles and I went trough 4 of them while I had my H3.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got 65K on the 08 Alpha and still on the 2nd set of cross members and bushings. I will do these at the next replacement.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I would most definitely use this if I didnt have the rancho...I cant wait to see the "engine brace" bushings he comes up with. Those will be going in ASAP after seeing my last set I went through...

Scorpworks is the best :cheers:

2012-04-05_19-05-42_769.jpg

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Please forgive my ignorance...what does the bushing do and how is this one an improvement? Genuine question... :corn:

LagunaH1

The cross member helps keep your front diff in place. The oem bushing wears out quickly and allows the diff to move too much.

The upgraded bushing is MUCH stronger than the oem

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The bushing and crossmember support the back end of the front diff. The diff could be bolted directly to a crossmember but then you would get lots of noise, vibration and harshness (NVH)transmitted through the vehicle. The bushing helps absorb that. In the OEM setup, the diff "floats" on a metal sleeve that adheres to the bushing.

The OEM bushing is made of vulcanized rubber and it tears when the diff flexes off road. Once the bushing is torn it is useless, causing the diff to bounce up and down, hitting the frame and even the body of the vehicle. It can flex upwards so much that the front propshaft binds making it so your vehicle cannot advance (or at least go in reverse).

The ScorpWorks bushing is a much higher durometer (stiffer) material and has flanges on each end of the bushing which supports it in the crossmember. Instead of the diff floating as in the OEM setup, it is firmly secured to the crossmember while still absorbing some NVH. The inner sleeve, the outer metal flange, washer and bolt all work together to support the diff. In the OEM setup the only thing that really did much work was the vulcanized rubber and the bolt.

If you were in a true off road setup you would not have these bushings at all. The diff would be directly bolted to the frame for stiffness and durability. But the ride to the mall would not be as comfortable.:wink:

j3jackson

Big tires
Great looking product. Nice reply alrock. I had to tighten my bolt once allready, I may have to look into one of these. Is the older one that much better? I have never seen the 2 side by side? I would think the newer "1 piece" would be better than the older two or three piece.

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
Late to the party! Great work for sure!!!! If I still had my H3A, I would have this on there in a second! ..esp after seeing this in Moab. It looked bombproof.

lmk if you guys want this linked in the EH FB page. great product to stand behind on this forum!

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
UPDATE: Was told by both, my friend and local GM/Hummer service rep & the Hummer service tech (who owns an H3) that as of last week, GM will no longer cover/pay for front crossmember bushing replacements under the GM drivetrain warranty. :gaah:

Looks like having to buy a new GM OEM crossmember for about $475, the Scorpworks bushing and other DIY fixes, are the only options now available. At least some of us know that the Scorpworks bushing works better than the GM OEM one! :thumbs: Thanks again Dwaine! :cheers:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
UPDATE: Was told by both, my friend and local GM/Hummer service rep & the Hummer service tech (who owns an H3) that as of last week, GM will no longer cover/pay for front crossmember bushing replacements under the GM drivetrain warranty. :gaah:Can someone else try to verify this. This is bad news for those who still have warranty coverage on their rigs! Haven't independently confirmed this but I have no reason to doubt what I was told.

Looks like having to buy a new GM OEM crossmember for about $475, the Scorpworks bushing and other DIY fixes, are the only options now available. At least some of us know that the Scorpworks bushing works better than the GM OEM one! :thumbs: Thanks again Dwaine! :cheers:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
GM did not cover my gross members under the power train warranty, only under bumper to bumper. That's how I came to have one for rebuilding by Dwaine

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
that sucks...those crossmembers were pieces of **** though, atleast we have dwaine making us a product that will withstand the abuse.

JGBB04

well someone might want to remind them of this section on the power train warranty

Drive Systems Coverage includes:
All internally
lubricated parts, final drive housings, axle shafts and
bearings, constant velocity joints, propeller shafts,
universal joints, wheel bearings, front and rear hub
bearings, locking hubs, mounts, supports, seals, gaskets
as well as any electrical components internal to the
drive axle. Also covered are any actuators directly
connected to the drive axle (i.e.: front differential
actuator, etc) as well as any drive system control module
and/or module programming.

seems to me if the diff isn't mounted & supported properly it doesn't work right, but that could just be my warpped thinking again

Last edited:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
JGBB04,
You're exactly right - that's what the warranty states. We'll have to wait and see what others find out and report when they take their rigs in to the dealer to replace their crossmember bushing. I'll never find out since I already have a Scorpworks CM on my rig. If anyone can confirm or dispel what I was told, please let us know.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The argument I got was that while they replace mounts and supports it was the crossmember that failed - and the crossmember wasn't covered. Not your warped thinking that is the problem, it is GM's warped thinking. Hopefully others have better luck than I had.

JGBB04

More crazy talk but the only thing I've had & seen fail on others trucks is the bushing that, say this with me slowly, mounts & supports the diff. I guess because they call it all 1 part it's their nice little loophole to get out of replacing it. After my bad experiences at 3 different dealers I'm ready to say screw what warranty I have left & get things fixed right the first time.