• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

cbetts' 2006 H3 Build

cbetts

NERD!!!

Over the last five years, the truck has evolved as finances have allowed. Eventually, it got to where it is today.

All of my pictures can be clicked to view a larger version of the same image.

cbetts

NERD!!!
First Mod

The first mod I did was to add a CB. I lost my mag mount several time and grew tired of stopping to place it back on top. I installed a Firestick mount on the driver's side so it would balance out the radio antenna.

The CB just hooks under the edge of console and plugs into a lighter socket. I also put in an external speaker so I could hear it better. The mike hanger is attached to a Panavise bracket that also holds my cell phone.

Over the years, I had several antennas. I used to keep a two foot Firestick on for city driving and use a five foot for wheeling. The five footer eventually took enough beatings and got replaced by a three foot Firstick. This model turned out to be the best.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Cat-back Exhaust

My next mod had to be something to give me some additional power. I felt a good exhaust system would not only give me the additional power I craved but would also make the truck sound better. I kept an ear out for other H3s and Chevy Colorado trucks with custom mufflers. I chose the Gibson for not only sound but for the deletion of the resonator. I like the droning in the passenger compartment.

As other Gibson owners will confirm, the chrome tips are subject to carnage. Mine took several hits. A local muffler shop made some nice custom tips that were tucked-up and out of the way of harm.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Audio System

Next, I needed some good tunes. I really wanted the stock navigation system but couldn't afford it when I bought the truck. I found a Pioneer AVIC-D3 navigation system at All&Ed's for a really good price. I am not one for cutting factory wire harnesses so I used a Metra GMOS4 to adapt the connections.

This unit would allow me to get rid of the cheesy wireless camera I was using at the time. That would have to wait a while.

The Metra adapter had a lot of alternator noise so I eventually replaced it with a PAC-Audio OS-2C-BOSE unit.

I also added a Bluetooth unit to the AVIC-D3 and cancelled my OnStar service. The mike for the phone was installed in the center of the dash just below the hazard button. I also added a couple buttons. One to activate the camera (the wire harness does not detect reverse with a manual transmission) and one for a power cut-off.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Leveling and AirDoc

Now it was time to get rid of the stinkbug look and lift the front. I ordered a set of Billstein shocks and cranked the torsion bars. I never put in the extended bump stops because I liked the nose dipping down on hard brakes. I guess I do too much freeway friving and like freaking out the poeple in front of me.

The H3 definitely looks better levelled.

The added clearance allowed me to do fun things, like climb stairs!

Santa brought an AirDoc in 2008 so the truck got another boost of power.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Undercarriage Protection

One more run with CHO in 2009 convinced me I need some protection underneath my truck. I did a run with LagunaH1 and AAMCO up Last Chance Canyon and saw how effective rock rails could be.

I shopped around for a while to find a used set but the wife told me to hold off. Little did I know, I would find a set under the Christmas tree that year (well, a gift certificate for Rocky Road anyways). This was also the event that kept the mud flaps from being put back on.

Shortly thereafter, Hunner had a great deal on a set of BA skids and a set of 3/16" Hunner skids. I had to jump on this since I knew I would never see these for the price I got them for.

I also scored the UCP from Ebay for a really good price. I scrounged up some cash to make the investment that I knew would save me money down the road.

Over time, the Hunner skids took a beating. I jokingly posted some pics of the carnage in an old thread on CHO which Hunner responded by offering an upgrade to the 1/4" versions if people posted pics of the the 3/16" model.

I find myslef taking harder tracks with the added protection. I am surprised what I have dragged over on some trails.

There are plenty of scars to remind me of the adventures I have been on.

cbetts

NERD!!!
On Board Air

After watching the H1s air up after a run, I started to yearn for an on board air system. I got a great idea from HummerGuy to install a Wolo air tank in the front bumper between the tow hooks. My neighbors were shocked to see the front of my truck all disassembled.

I was able to mount the compressor behind the right headlight. Just enough room to squeeze it in there.

Another Betts Special (c) mount made with L brackets from Home Depot.

With only a one gallon tank, it really isn't good for the big tires that I have. I still run my Master Flow with the built-in unit when airing back up after a run.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Roof Rack and Tires

I had been using carriage bolts in my roof rails to tote around my HiLift for quite a while.

While it was an effective way to carry it around, I wanted something better. DesertDan had traded in his H3 and offered the Defender rack to me for a great price. I couldn't refuse the offer and bought it from him.

It wasn't a Gobi Stealth but the price was right. I really only wanted something to mount some offroad lights and a HiLift. I also wanted the ability to carry luggage if I ever get a chance to travel back east and tackle Rausch Creek.

Next came the biggest and best change, real tires. I had to downgrade on my last set since I didn't have the money. I got stuck with Bridgestone Dueler Revos. I had my eyes on a set of MTs. It wasn't until recently that I was able to purchase a full set (with spare) of KM2s. I also went up to a 35" tire. By far, this has been the best mod. My track has been able to grip better and clear more obstacles then ever.

A quick sale at Pep Boys found some good looking lights that match the look of my truck and still allow it to fit in my garage.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Custom Body Work

The truck took quite a beating on the Hungry Valley run. I took a quick loop just north of Vics Cat that grew in a little bit since the last time I took it. The damage became more visible once I washed the truck.

The driver's side took the biggest beating. The Rocky Roads lived up to their reputation.

One little chunk off the fender . . .

and a small crease in both doors.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Air Horns

The air horns are finally mounted and operational.

They are extremely loud. I will be taking some video this weekend when I take it out of the city. I know I irked a few people when I did my test runs in the alley.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Hunner Skids and Halfshaft Carriers

I got my new 1/4" Hunner front skids installed. Looks much better!
262340_10150232843796896_500031895_7390422_2967219_n.jpg

I also built some storage tubes for my spare halfshafts based on H3ing's design.
268386_10150233007326896_500031895_7392856_2744508_n.jpg

Zach

Mall Crawler
I have a few wants/dreams:
  • Seat covers (already have them. Will put them on once I move)
  • New floor mats
  • Cast iron front diff w/locker
  • H4O decals!

The first two, let me know when you want to order them. The third, is on my wish list too. Have some empty space to fill in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3slate

Brush raked
Great thread cbetts! Nice to see another 06 slate blue adv manual on here. :cheers:

What seat covers did you get? I have the coverking seat covers and they work great!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I like those mats. I got sick and tired of cleaning the muddy carpet and found a great deal on weathertech mats when talusfan got rid of his first H3 so I couldnt pass up them up. They even came with some mud stains already on them too!:woot: The front locker is also on my wishlist

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Yea, Those are the famous gorman steps, I forgot how far I made it up, I bet you crawled over the whole thing. lol

Actually the day we were there, was the first day ever off road. Tires were rubbing. Lockers weren't operational. E-brake was routed wrong, etc... Didn't take any pics. Despite all that, I reversed up it, and it did make it all the way up. Didn't want to push it.

H3slate

Brush raked
Your seat cover choice is funny!! I got the neoprene covers black with charcoal down the middle. The neoprene added a little cushion but also makes it a tight fit with the 60/40 back seat.

I have the Husky liners mats for my truck and love them. They catch everything!! My only concern is how long they will hold up, us handshakers do a little more dancing with our feet.

The progression of your truck reminds me of the progression of mine as well. Protection, gadgets, protection, and finally tires!!

cbetts

NERD!!!
Your seat cover choice is funny!! I got the neoprene covers black with charcoal down the middle. The neoprene added a little cushion but also makes it a tight fit with the 60/40 back seat.

I have the Husky liners mats for my truck and love them. They catch everything!! My only concern is how long they will hold up, us handshakers do a little more dancing with our feet.

The progression of your truck reminds me of the progression of mine as well. Protection, gadgets, protection, and finally tires!!

I have the Hummer "mudder" mats right now and the drivers side is all torn up, presumably from the shifting. The tires came only after I put in a new clutch since I really didn't know how much more stress the clutch would take with 35" tires. I did notice I have to take steep downhill slopes slower with the 35s.