• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Power Tanks

Reloader

Does anyone here use a Powertank CO2 system to air up after offroading? Sounds like you can air a tire in 1min or less. Would beat dragging out the air compressor and plugging in to take 5-10 min to air up 1 tire depending on the system. Pros and cons? Only bad thing I can see is initial purchase price.
CO2 is totally inert and has 3 times three volume of nitrogen according to the Power tank web site. Has anyone made their own setup?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Several members have them, including LagunaH1. You can check out his setup in Moab

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Portager uses one and it fills up really fast, He can probably fill up 5 tires before I fill up 1 with my little masterflow...I think the only downside is that the air eventually seeps out so after a few days you need to go to a gas station and fill back up, other then that it gets you off the trail quickly!

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a Power Tank that I use for the H3, trailer tires, etc. They are great. They will fill up a tire in a fraction of the time it takes with a compressor.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Portager uses one and it fills up really fast, He can probably fill up 5 tires before I fill up 1 with my little masterflow...I think the only downside is that the air eventually seeps out so after a few days you need to go to a gas station and fill back up, other then that it gets you off the trail quickly!
I'm not sure that it seeps out but you do have to overfill to get to the desired PSI. For example, if I want 38 PSI I need to fill to about 44 PSI with the Powertank. It won't fall back to the 18 PSI from which I started.

kflips

I use the power tank also. I've thought about getting a keg in the rear slant back and using the power tank for dual purposes..... but it's just a thought

Flash

I use a 15# Ultimate Air Co2 tank. If I had it to do again, I think I would opt for the 10# due to smaller size and less weight. I even use mine in the garage instead of the compressor. Just easier.

I have a shelf built in the back divided into three storage sections under the shelf. The 15# tank lies in one of the three sections.

Last edited:

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I use a CO2 Power Tank, but the tire refill times are over exaggerated. I've time filling my 35" tires and it is between 65 and 70 seconds to go from 15 to 45 psi.

I have done some research and found that CO2 will diffuse through tires. Bike tires go down overnight, but I haven't noticed any measurable leakage through my KM2's or Cooper STT's. Maybe after a month or two you have to top off, I’m not certain.

The only downside is the cost of a fill is $20 and you have to remember to refill it when it gets low.

A CO2 tank is much more reliable than an electric compressor and won’t drain your battery. Many compressors will draw more power than your alternator will produce, especially at idle. :whaa:

Also, when you refill at most shops the tank has to be empty and then allowed to warm back up, which takes an hour, so empty it the night before. I usually fill my tires and then anybody else who need it and then refill before the next trip. I can fill about 23 to 25 tires on my 10 lb tank.

I have no financial affiliation with Power Tank and I don't receive any commissions from Expedition Hardware or any other Power Tank distributor for my comments (although I'd like to). Your mileage may vary. Don't try this at home! I'm a trained professional and I have a BS degree!

Reloader

On the way to Moab I stopped in Denver at a 4wheel parts store that was just off I-70 to inquire about a system and they had a Smittybuilt co2 tank and regulator/hose assembly. It was $200 complete so I said what the hell I'll try it. I got the last one in a box and went off to find a source to fill it. Didn't find a place till we got to Grand Junction at the Sports Authority store . They were only able to get 7lb of co2 in it as they dont have a pump system. I was able to fill my tyres 2 times each from 18 lb to 42lb and blow out the interior twice with a blow gun. It took about 90 seconds to fill each tyre. A clip on air chuck would be a good accessory to get. Overall I'm happy with it . I'm sure a place that pumps co2 into tanks will be able to fill it with 10lbs that its rated for.

SC_Hummer_Guy

Mr. Sexy Sugar Britches
On the way to Moab I stopped in Denver at a 4wheel parts store that was just off I-70 to inquire about a system and they had a Smittybuilt co2 tank and regulator/hose assembly. It was $200 complete so I said what the hell I'll try it. I got the last one in a box and went off to find a source to fill it. Didn't find a place till we got to Grand Junction at the Sports Authority store . They were only able to get 7lb of co2 in it as they dont have a pump system. I was able to fill my tyres 2 times each from 18 lb to 42lb and blow out the interior twice with a blow gun. It took about 90 seconds to fill each tyre. A clip on air chuck would be a good accessory to get. Overall I'm happy with it . I'm sure a place that pumps co2 into tanks will be able to fill it with 10lbs that its rated for.

Most places that have a set up for paintball equipment will have a co2 fill station. Used to work at sports authority, and we had 8 massive tanks in the back to fill bottles for people. So in theory I would assume most places that sell or service paintball equipment will have a co2 area you can fill up at.

Sent from my secret spy phone using Tapatalk

IndyHummers

Is it really worth it to buy one or could you piece a set up together for less? Thoughts? It just seems like for what you can assemble one for its crazy to shell out 4 or 500 bucks for a powertank.

Flash

Is it really worth it to buy one or could you piece a set up together for less? Thoughts? It just seems like for what you can assemble one for its crazy to shell out 4 or 500 bucks for a powertank.

The Ultimate Air tanks were less and I had the option of getting one unpainted, standard handle, and standard regulator. Tried to save some money and did. I think I have less than $300 into my 15#er. I'm sure I had it on Drummond when we were there. But you are correct, you can use a Co2 tank from a soda station and make your own. Mine came with a very sturdy mounting bracket as part of the package.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/mambo2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=84&Itemid=32

Ultimate Air may have went out of business - can't find their website...

Last edited:

IndyHummers

Yeah Flash I removed te Ultimate Air setups, I still have a 100 dollar off coupon at home. I dont think they're in business anymore unless they changed their name to Outback Air...

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know people have built their own CO2 tank set ups. I bought a Powertank about 4 years ago and we use it all the time. With 4 trailers and a fleet of cars, tractors and mowers something always needs some more pressure.

IndyHummers

Looks like you can get an aluminum 10 lb tank for around 88 and a 150 psi constant regulator from Outback Air for 60. My question is what do you need to worry about for hoses and the actual inflator, can those still freeze up or is that something to not worry about? If you can get the Smittybilt setup for 200 it almost sounds like that's the better deal.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Reloader, now that you've had & used the Smittybilt CO2 tank for a while, what are your observations and opinions about this product. I'm thinking about getting one and would appreciate your feedback/input. Thank you.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
All I can say is with the 40s it's a blessing I have one. With 37s and a compressor I could be there forever and never really get the pressure up enough to turn TPMS off (38 psi). With the Power Tank it took about a minute to fill each 40" wheel from 10psi to 38psi!!! It was amazing. :D