• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Power Tanks

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
The CO2 tank is the best way to go especially with large tires. I used mine to fill Sircode13's spare and at the end of gold mountain run I removed all four rock rings and aired back up and I still didn't hold up the group. Of course I also couldn't have done it without my trusty little impact wrench.

The PowerTank is all top quality but expensive. I'm wondering if the lower cost solutions are good enough? I went with the PowerTank because I knew I could depend on it to get me home.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
The big thing with the Power Tank is the quality of the valves and fittings. For the knowledgeable, they will recognize the superiority of the parts. Remember that liquid CO2 freezes very easily and is you don't use quality parts you will have a disaster on your hands. After having used it and compared, I would no go any other routes. The only place to fill it in my area is at a fire fighter equipment company. They said the Power Tank is the only one they will certify and fill. I understand that a cheaper alternative should be available since not everyone can afford it. Those who can afford it, it's worth the extra cash.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
The big thing with the Power Tank is the quality of the valves and fittings. For the knowledgeable, they will recognize the superiority of the parts. Remember that liquid CO2 freezes very easily and is you don't use quality parts you will have a disaster on your hands. After having used it and compared, I would no go any other routes. The only place to fill it in my area is at a fire fighter equipment company. They said the Power Tank is the only one they will certify and fill. I understand that a cheaper alternative should be available since not everyone can afford it. Those who can afford it, it's worth the extra cash.

I agree. I know not everyone can afford PowerTank, but for me the quality and dependable made the decision easy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Me too. I have the "small" tank (forget size) and I was impressed that I filled 4x40" tires from 10psi to 38psi and the needle on the gauge barely budged. I'm so glad I got mine in the group buy Tim had organized. Saved quite a bit.

Last edited:

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Me too. I have the "small" tank (forget size) and I was impressed that I filled 4x40" tires from 10psi to 38psi and the needle on the gauge barely budged.

The fill time is quite amazing. No compressor can come close. I have the 10 pound tank and I can usually fill 18 to 20 tires per fill. The tank is full of liquid CO2 that, depending on temperature, boils around 1,000 psi :link:. So the pressure in the tank won't drop below the boiling point until all the liquid is converted to gas. Once the liquid is gone, the pressure will drop like a normal compressed air tank at the same starting pressure.

kflips

I think I did 6 4 tire loads on one tank when counting helping others air up. It's also a great back up if you run out of CO2 for the keg.

Reloader

Reloader, now that you've had & used the Smittybilt CO2 tank for a while, what are your observations and opinions about this product. I'm thinking about getting one and would appreciate your feedback/input. Thank you.

I like the Smittybuilt system and for the money it works well. It was nice to be able to blow the Moab dust out of the cab before heading home. The tank and hose is Chinese made but what isn't these days without spending a lot more money. As the tank gets low it takes longer to fill a tyre but I use a clip on air chuck. Still quicker than my little air compressor.
The tank came with a handle that protects the valve and regulator, a coil up hose and an air chuck all in a nice carry bag. I paid $200 at 4wheelparts in Denver. I think they cost a little more now but they have sales all the time. It cost me $11 at the local fire extinguisher place to get it filled. I believe it's a 10 lb tank.
This reminds me , I have to fab up a bracket to mount this inside my H3.

MilamJR

I am looking into getting a power tank. The comments here are from 2012 so I was wondering if everyone still feels the same or have some opinions changed over the years? Do you still love your Smittybilt? Still think you made the right decision to pay extra for the Power Tank? What size tank do you have? Wish you had bought bigger or smaller? What is the cost to refill? I have 35’s but also want to use for my Motorhome so what size tank would you recommend? Feedback from those with experience would be appreciated. I want to make sure that I make the right decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I built my own for 237 bucks and it’s a 20 lb tank since I run 40s. I can air them up in about a minute from 10 psi to 30 psi.