• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H2 License Plate Holder HACK

trailerpup

Some have expressed interest in duplicating my use of the H2 license plate holder for the H3 spare tire.

1. Score an H2 license plate holder (light is sold seperately, if anyone has the part number of the light that goes with the H2 mount I would appreciate letting me know).

2. The light cover with "hummer" on it comes in silver. So, I popped it off and prepped it with scotchbrite and painted it with hammerite with a proprietary method to get the finish I desired.

The finished product looks like this....

IMG_0032.jpg

3. The plate holder is held on with a single fastener. I used an allen head 1/4 inch x approx. 5 inch stainless bolt.

IMG_0033.jpg

4. I extended the original H3 license plate light wires and ran them up though the rear of the drivers quarter panel (if you have been around your truck you know where the hole/plug is), through the wire loom boot into the 5th door and out through the vent (I re-used the H3 light and connector. I am wanting to score the proper H2 light - don't know if the connector is the same - but, you can see how I hacked the H3 light onto the H2 holder). note. the snout "thing" on the H2 holder has to be shortened until the plate holder fits up against the wheel.

IMG_0034.jpg

5. The plate holder is held on by fastening the 1/4 x 5 stainless bolt though the long plastic "thing." I used a 1/4 rivnut, centered through the lower left wheel stud hole.

IMG_0035.jpg

6. I was swapping out my antenna mount with a stainless steel piece which allowed me to take some pictures of the plate holder hack this morning.

IMG_0036.jpg

Hope this helps. if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help you accomplish this "mod."

P.S. Magnaflow exhaust sounds good, but has rusted up in a few months. And, check out the stupid tips hanging out waiting to be squished. Anybody have a sawzall I can borrow.

IMG_0038.jpg

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Great write up. I was about 50% done making a custom tire one but I like this route better. It say HUMMER on it :)

For moab zipties will have to do lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Great write up!

Here is mine
DSCN1481.jpg

DSCN1482.jpg

I choose to paint mine to match my new wheels (H3T steelies) using Krylon Fusion Satin Black. I used the same process, just hit it with a Scotch Brite and then paint.
DSCN1685.jpg

Last edited:

trailerpup

Flare - Yeah. No worries on the rust. Sounds pretty good. I just need to cut the tips off... pronto. Your plate holder looks good! Did you get the H2 license plate light for it, too??

BW_Hummer H3

Im just wonderin about rust issues, corosion, and overall life of the plastic.

Understandable question, on my dad's H2(2006) no rust issues or corosion. With that being said his has been garage kept since he bought it.:) And his has no rust on his anywhere.

He is changing tires next week so we will have to take it off to switch them, so I'll take some pics of it when its off.:thumbs:
:cheers:

trailerpup

Looks good Flare. Did you get the H2 license plate light, too?

I've had mine on for 2 years with no problems. I thought I would have problems with the plastic and how it attaches. Seems to be holding up well.

There really isn't anything to rust on it.

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Do you have the part # for the H2 license plate light? I just scored a H2 license plate holder and want to wire it up properly.
I will get a number for the license plate light tonight when I find my paper work. It will require a bracket of some kind as it mounts to the spare tire carrier on the H2. I actually got one laying around if youf\r intrested.

How about a part number for both the light and the cover?
Part # for the mount
25782334 - Sparkling Silver
25782333 - Chrome

H3slate

Brush raked
P1020531small.jpg

It looks pretty good. It does take some customizing to have it fit snug on the spare wheel. You also have to drill and fit a nut on the spare tire carrier.

It is a pain in the butt to remove your spare with this plate holder on.

SolidusJ

P1020531small.jpg

It looks pretty good. It does take some customizing to have it fit snug on the spare wheel. You also have to drill and fit a nut on the spare tire carrier.

It is a pain in the butt to remove your spare with this plate holder on.

Always a sweet mod :thumbs:. Now that's two things us 3's guys jack from the 2's guys.