• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hello (picture heavy)

trailerpup

I am trailerpup. I am an H3-aholic. I've never been any good about these "introduce yourself" things...

I started with a 2007 Adventure that I made some modest improvements to. There was a forum called Elcova or something back then. I used to put up threads of all my H3 projects, SAW T-bars, Fox shocks, Samco shackles, etc, etc. Then the that forum imploded. I've been spending most of my H3 forum time on Hx.

The transmission exploded on the '07. I think the 3500 pound trailer being pulled from Seattle to Denver, and then later on to Palo Alto had something to do with the transmission failing at 45k miles. It was all covered under warranty. While I was in having it serviced I decided to trade it in on a 2010 Alpha (one of the last available in our area). It was a hard decision between the T and the H3. But, there were no more Alpha 3Ts in our area.

Here is the 2007.
IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0001-1.jpg

When I traded in the '07 the dealer took everything that would unbolt and put it on the 2010. I scored some wheels and tires and accepted an invitation to go on a Hummer run with cbphoto in the lead 3 weeks after i got the Aplha.

I met some great Hummer people there.
IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

84.jpg

I didn't really know what I was doing, but I kept following this crazy H3 guy up the mountain.
IMG_0183a.jpg

Eventually my lower radiator hose came loose and was cut by the lower belt pulley. No problem, as the crazy dude turned out to be a big help and a real great guy. :thumbs: In fact, the whole crew was like... "we leave no Hummer man behind."
152.jpg

When all was done I stood back and admired the battle scars on my brand new rig. Jeep guys are very impressed when they see all the scrapes down the sides of my H3!
IMG_0138.jpg

I was checking out Pirate 4x4 Hummer forum one day when I saw an H3T installing this cool dual battery tray. I followed up and asked the place that makes them if they would put "H3" on the battery covers. I started a thread to do a group buy on CHO but had to let somebody else take the lead when my wife became gravely ill. I heard that quite a few people got in on the action.
IMG_0191.jpg

I got a winch and decided on getting the DOI. Once I had it all installed I figured out a way to still have my front license plate installed, per law.
IMG_0523.jpg

I found out that it snows a lot in Colorado after I got transferred here.
IMG_0929.jpg

I decided to go with the THOR bumper on the rear. I wanted to keep the Alpha backup camera, so I swapped the trailer plug to the passengers side and put in a provision for the camera.
IMG_0434.jpg

I didn't like the available rear license plate holders so I figured out a way to hack an H2 holder onto my H3.
IMG_1149.jpg

I like to take pictures of my H3 next to other vehicles when I get a chance. Next up will be a Ruby.
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

I'm trying to build my H3 to be more of an expedition vehicle and I'm trying to upgrade any known issues for single point failure. I'm new here in Colorado and need to find some Hummer folks to do weekend runs with.

And Hunner, no I still haven't got the battery isolator installed yet. But, I'm thinking about scoring one of those dual ARB compressors. I know, one project at a time.

Glad to be around here and hope to contribute. Sorry for the picture heavy thread.

SolidusJ

LOOKING GOOD!!!!! I like your H2 license plate holder, if I HAVE to get the THOR swing gate then I'm going to you for my license plate holder. One more thing how is the second D-ring setup bolted up? Is it just to the bumper or also bolted to the frame?

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Welcome! What shocks are you running on the rear of your rig? Very nice rig with some sweet mods!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Nice pics! I like the Moab shot with Fiesta Mexicana in the background. :)

BTW, I think you were hanging with cbetts, not cbphoto. At least it was cbetts on the ground in front of your truck.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Glad you found your way here Luke! Looks like you have evolved. I remember you washing your truck after that first run in Bishop, CA, worried that you scratched your paint!

As far as taking credit for getting you off the mountain, everyone chipped in and helped out. I will however take credit for being the crazy gut climbing the mountain!

I look forward to making another run with you!

05Mudiak

welcome and nice 3.... I just put on my Thor rear bumper and have to install the back up camera any hints for proper position before I drill a hole in this bumper?

trailerpup

Thanks for all the friendly welcomes.

Yeah. It really was a group effort. Can't describe the feeling when I realized that one way or another you guys were going help get my rig off the mountain. But you jumped right in and got your hands dirty first. Ha, ha. Yeah, everybody looked at me like WTF when I rolled up with my rig all washed up after the first day. I think you all cut me some slack since I was such a newb. :roll: Thanks for that!! Damn, I miss Bishop, Isabella, etc.!

Hey Zach hope all is well!

I would hope to run with some of you guys in Moab sometime. Ha, Fiesta Mexicana. Love that little town and all the great trails around there. I'll get re-aquainted with all as I spend more time here!

The drivers side d-ring is not bolted in. THOR's solutions is kinda ghetto with a chain wrapped around the frame end point. There really is not place to bolt the d-ring plate to over there. Should have a caution sign over there. No pull from this side. But, the THOR guy swears there would be not problem if it's set up according to his instructions. I'll be swapping out my firestik mount to a stainless piece soon, so I'll take pictures of how the H2 plate holder is mounted, etc. and post a thread.

I have the Fox shocks on all 4 corners right now.

H3slate

Brush raked
Welcome aboard Trailerpup!! I know I can depend on you to try new mods out first!! Like the header for the I-5. :thumbs:

Glad you made it here. :cheers:

What wheels are you running? They look really good with the oem center caps.

trailerpup

Thanks for the welcome. I got those wheels from Cepek. They came polished alloy. So, I had them powder coated. Painted the center caps to match.

Ha, ha. Yeah, I was waaaay out in front on the i5 header. Cracks me up. :) Wish Thorley would come out with some for the Alpha. I'd give em a try.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to H4O. Great pictures. I have been in California City many times and Moab 7-8 times. See lots of familar places in your photos.

trailerpup

Thanks Ron46!

05Mudiak - The cut out is kind of odd. I put a piece of cardboard behind the stock bumper and traced the outline of the "lemon" shaped hole and the small hole to the lower right of the lemon hole. The camera attaches with 3 phillips screws from the backside... the camera front and back sandwich the bumper material. The backside of the camera needs to be modified (depth reduced) with a dremel - trim, check fit, trim, check fit. This is due to the THOR bumper being thicker material. Use shorter screws or you will blow through the face of the camera bezel when you screw the 2 pieces together. I measured from the diagonal of the center drop section of the stock bumper (the plastic piece to the right of the camera) and "eyeballed" to get it centered top to bottom. The view came out real close to stock.

IMG_0422.jpg

Last edited:

JR3T

Great to see you here, Luke!
Haven't heard from you much since the Bishop trip.
H3 is looking Good. Really like all that you have done to it.

Pappibri

Awesome job on the mods...The rear end looks sweet set up like that... We like picture heavy threads, as long as they are good pictures.. I think yours fit that description plus some...:thumbs:

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
Welcome Luke. I thought I recognized that name on here. LOL.

It will be a while before the trails are clear of snow, but we go out quite a bit on teh Mtn Bikes and wheel'n once everything clears up here. Many of the Hummer owners that used to be around have either switched out to different rigs or no longer get offroad. We still have a great group that goes out though.

Hope you can make the drive to Moab in a couple weeks. Pleanty of trails to do. Not sure where you are at in CO now, but give me a call/ PM sometime.

TTYL,

Tim.

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
One more thing how is the second D-ring setup bolted up? Is it just to the bumper or also bolted to the frame?

The drivers side d-ring is not bolted in. THOR's solutions is kinda ghetto with a chain wrapped around the frame end point. There really is not place to bolt the d-ring plate to over there. Should have a caution sign over there. No pull from this side. But, the THOR guy swears there would be not problem if it's set up according to his instructions.
Here is a picture of the chain installed on CJ Wilson's (Thorparts/4speedfunk) H3 "Warren". He said he has done a number of good pulls on it with out issue. If the chain is tight, you shouldn't have any problems. You could always fabricate a bracket/mount if you really wanted to.
DSCN1148.jpg

Stock Photo
hook-kit.JPG