• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Throttle body and MAF sensor cleaning

???

Bump this thread as it's very helpful. BTW, I couldn't get the white clip, so I just left it connected and still got it pretty clean. To help others, When I did this I also replaced plugs, air filter, and cleaned the maf but it really didn't improve the rough idle.
I got a tune done by lime-swap in Michigan and he bumped my RPM's up to 750 as stock on 08's and newer run at 600 rpm's. 06 and 07's run at 650 rpm so you'd probably see a better response by the cleaning.
It runs very smooth now. The I-5 engines do vibrate due to their design, but 95% of my vibration is gone. My steering wheel used to shake at idle, now it doesn't.

Peep

That video says he uses a fog to spray in the throttle body to clean it.

What fog, where can you buy it.

TxHummer07

Works wonders!

TBI_Cleaning_5.jpg
TBI_Cleaning_2.jpg
TBI_Cleaning_9.jpg

Also cleared out my catch can! Talk about gross!

OIL Recirculator HummerMods1-12.jpg
TBI_Cleaning_10.jpg
TBI_Cleaning_11.jpg

GreatDaneHummer

What is the actual real reason the catch can is filling up with oil? Is it due to blow by on the piston rings? Is this a sign your engine is going to ****? Just wondering because I am starting to see more oil in my throttle body too.

TxHummer07

What is the actual real reason the catch can is filling up with oil? Is it due to blow by on the piston rings? Is this a sign your engine is going to ****? Just wondering because I am starting to see more oil in my throttle body too.

Its been on for about a year, so its been long overdue to empty it out (lazy and busy) - No blow by going on. Its because I put the intake on, the stock one has all that **** in the way with the weird chambers. When i put the intake on it was basically a smooth highway right into the TB

JPaul

Because while that's supposed to be the fresh air inlet for the crankcase ventilation system (the suction side is the other hose across from that one on the valve cover that routes to the throttle body) it has a bad habit of puking oil and vapor out instead. Theoretically that shouldn't be happening, but it does, and it probably gets worse with age as the suction side gets gummed up and the oil vapor is sucked/blown out the fresh air side instead.

I'm going to put a catch can in myself and next oil change I'm going to blast some Sea Foam through both the fresh air and vacuum ports on the valve cover to try to clean them out. I'll do it before I drain the old oil so that it reduces any potential issues, plus Sea Foam is supposedly safe to put in your oil, so a little bit left in shouldn't hurt anything. It's that or I pull the whole valve cover off and clean it properly.

GreatDaneHummer

I like the idea of pulling the valve cover off and cleaning everything out then adding the catch can to see how well it worked.

JPaul

It's just a lot of work since you have to remove the intake as well, and you need to install new gaskets as well, you're not supposed to reuse the old ones from what I've read. That's a lot of time and money I don't really care to invest in at this point just on it's own merit.

But I figure if I end up having to replace my starter I'll probably use that as an opportunity to do just that, since I'd be taking the intake off anyway, removing the valve cover at that point won't be much more work.

Cyouincourt007

Pavement Prince
Was hessitant to do this but with this great writeup and the vehicle turning off on the highway in bumper to bumper traffic etc or cutting off when i hit hard on the brakes i had to go for it. The fact the dealer wanted 300 to do it was also an incentive to do it myself.:giggle: Thank you for the great step by step writeup and everyones input helped a lot. :woot:

IMG_6085.jpgIMG_6089.jpgIMG_6097.jpgIMG_6096.jpg

H3ATH3N

Boerwarrior - looks like the image links were broken - def interested in doing this'un here but I need all the help I can's get. Any chance you can relink your images? thanks in advance!