• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Throttle body and MAF sensor cleaning

soct

Great write up. Thank you. I will be doing it this weekend.

Spelling and grammar errors brought to you by Tapatalk and Nexus 10.

nelly27281

I am facing hard time in Disconnecting the sensor plug and the vacuum hose from Throttle body to clean it.
Can anyone help me to disconnect these...?

soct

I am facing hard time in Disconnecting the sensor plug and the vacuum hose from Throttle body to clean it.
Can anyone help me to disconnect these...?

It's the evap recirculation tube I believe. It is deceivingly easy to remove. It is a slid lock. Press on the white strip on the top of the connection and pull. It should come off easily. The plug is standard. Just squeeze the lock tab and pull.

Spelling and grammar errors brought to you by Tapatalk and Nexus 10.

Joffre Cintron

Probationary Member
A big thanks to you all. last week I started experiencing the idle fluctuation upon stopping. I follow your instructions and not only resolved the issue but also help with the following:For the past 1 1/2 years since I purchased my 07 H3 I have been complaining to the dealer about the rough gear change I mean a loud and jerking shift from 1st to 2nd with them telling me it was normal for these Hummers transmissions and nothing they can do for it. Well the hard, loud and jerking shift issue is gone. I can't believe this easy steps solution was all that was needed. Your article and step by step instructions and pics were perfect for a Mechanics for Dummies like me. Hope to be able to count on you and the others if and when more fixing is needed. Again excellent job and thanks a bunch.
Respectfully
Jeff

amrg

Just did the throttle body cleaning after my idle has been dipping at traffic lights, and I was complaining about vibrations when the car is stopped (thought it was the engine mounts). I didn't do a perfect job, but I reckon I did 80% of the cleaning, didnt clean the MAF sensor since I used WD-40 and removing the sensor plug on the throttle body wasn't possible as the plastic part of the plug became brittle and I was worried I'd end up damaging it.

So far my idle is way smoother than before, I no longer have to shift to Neutral and rev the engine up abit to get rid of the shaking. Its not completely smooth (I reckon if my job was perfect maybe it would've been).

Great thread :thumbs:

One question though, Is the throttle body cleaning procedure on the Alpha the same?

mantracker

yes - especially if you have a K&N or similar air filter. If you do have one, you should clean the sensor every time you change the oil.

OKay, this is a great write up. I was wondering about the K&N filter, and was thinking about going back to the OEM filter.
I did this throttle body and MAF sensor cleaning today and could tell a big difference in the idle and throttle response.
Also, last mpg check, I was getting 10 mpg.
A few months ago, I changed the radiator, as the old one was seeping fluid around the top tank. I installed a Silla radiator, and debated on changing the thermostat at that time, and decided not to.
In December, my thermostat locked open, and was giving a code that indicated the engine was not running at the proper temperature (aparently not hot enough) which was making it run leaner (more fuel). I replaced the thermostat with a GM, OEM. My H3 was still not getting the fuel milage it should be getting. A friend of mind (mechanic) stated that it may take several starts for the computer to clear the previous codes, and start getting normal milage. He cleared all the codes, one of which was MAF sensor. The milage continued to gradually drop to 10 miles per gallon.

After following these instructoins on cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor, I've noticed a big difference. I haven't checked the milage yet, but I can already tell it's better than it was. I was considering going back from the K&N, to the OEM filter. What do the rest of you think?

Great details and step by step pics! If anyone does it to their H2 or if I do it, I will try to do a step by step directional too and post it!

shawndondo

Zombie Slayer
Just got done with this lastnight. Hopefully it helps with the vibrations while idling at lights. Nice step by step, I used my dremel and some polishing compound to get it nice a clean. Thanks

D

Dennis

Throttle body and MAF sensor cleaning on 3.7l I-5 H3

It was time to change my air filter so i decided to check the Throttle body and give it a scrub down too.

I think this took me about an hour to complete. It’s not difficult at all, just take care with the MAF sensor as it is a sensitive piece of equipment.

To start, the tools i used:
10mm nut driver
Phillips screw driver

5. Disconnect the sensor plug and the vacuum hose on the throttle body.
TBsensors.jpg
Great Write-up..Thanks..I'll add to the part about removing the vacuum tube..You have to push the little round clip on the connector to one side to allow ithe fitting to come off of the pipe...Be careful not to snap the plastic keeper clip and don't try to take the clip off.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dennis

Just got done with this lastnight. Hopefully it helps with the vibrations while idling at lights. Nice step by step, I used my dremel and some polishing compound to get it nice a clean. Thanks

Did this help your grumbling idle?..that is what I'm after to fix..nothing serious, but a slight low idle vibration every once in a while, while idling, like it's trying to stall a little.

So far I've replaced with new ACDelco parts the; MAP sensor, the MAF sensor and both CAM position sensors.

amrg

Did u try running fuel injector cleaners? I cleaned my throttle body and changed my engine mounts, idle vibrations decreased significantly, once I added the cleaner, the rough idle is almost non-existent. Planning on adding another bottle on a new full tank.

Airborne

Just a regular dude
Great Write-up..Thanks..I'll add to the part about removing the vacuum tube..You have to push the little round clip on the connector to one side to allow ithe fitting to come off of the pipe...Be careful not to snap the plastic keeper clip and don't try to take the clip off.

Ok so I just broke this clip. It was brittle as hell. any way to replace it? I need help asap!!!! :) thanks guys

D

Dennis

Did u try running fuel injector cleaners? .
I use a can of BG-44K in a full tank every 5000-6000 miles and run it til almost empty ...It's like liquid penicillin for the engine..So I know that is not my problem.

6a8aa0efd1a1e22cffff9180ffffe41e.jpg

D

Dennis

This weekend I removed and cleaned the throttle body..it was somewhat gunked up with black and brown residue..I washed it with Throttle body cleaner and polished it with 0000 steel wool...

Now for the shocker.............

A friend of mine had a Airaid/PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer he was gonna install on his 06 H3..he sold his rig before he ever did and gave it to me..Brand new never been opened..

So what the Hell..I installed it on mine since I had the TB already off..I have the K&N CAI, so it fit up well....I sense a little more pep at low RPMs and most of all since I cleaned the TB, my idle is smooth as silk, without the sense of stumbling at idle as I detailed earlier...Truck runs like new and feels strong..Is the TB Spacer helping ?...I doubt it, but it looks cool and ain't hurting anything.

MVC_001_F.jpg

TAPDH3T

Yes, remove it from the intake and spray it so that any dust and debris is carried away by the spray. I don't think you even need to put it on a towel as it dries very quickly and you don't want lint from the towel making it onto the MAF.

I need to do this quick fast and in a hurry... Is there a write up on spark plugs and coils??? My engine is throwing a code and the way it's jerking it feels like a misfire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wild Bill

I just finish my throttle body cleaning and wow, what a difference. My 2007 H-3 ran fine except when I would come to a stop. It would bog down a bit and finally got so bad it would actually stall when coming to a stop or even going slow around corners in downtown traffic. I purchased the same cleaner as shown in the first photo from Auto Zone and decided to give it a whirl. Total time was less than 20 minutes start to finish. (I decided to clean the TB while it was still on the car) I did not touch the MAF sensor, nor did I remove the hose or the sensor from the throttle body. I simply took the vortex air box lose and pushed it out of the way just enough to reach the TB. I first sprayed the outside of the throttle disc, then I used a wooden dowel to gently open the throttle so I could liberally spray the cleaner on the under side of the disc. Using a small mirror I could see the throttle was pretty darn clean so I wiped up the excess and put everything back together. The H-3 started right up and after about 10 seconds of hesitation she smoothed right out and I took her for a spin around the neighborhood. WOW!! Would have never believed that a $3.50 can of cleaner and 20 minutes could do this much good! Runs like a top. No more bogging down at the light. No more hesitation. No more jerky ride while driving slow and coasting at slow speeds. I am so glad I joined the group. Now if I can try and figure out why my roof leaks. (No, it's NOT the drain holes!) Cheers!

I have a 08 hummer h3 just got it out the shop, cause it was running ruff, it would do it after it ran for a few miles then you would here the ding ding like a seat belt was off then it would idle ruff,lose power. did not overheat, that was the first question the mechanic asked, so he changed the throttle body with a new one that cost me over 3bills plus the mechanic work, then it did it again, but then he told me take it to the dealer to get that programed so i did that nxt day it started up again, but only does it when the truck has run for a bit like if it got hot.but its not hot. but maybe the eng is hot. I'm thinking.lol so dont want to take it to the dealer cause just for the program the throttle body it cost me 110..love the truck..dont want to just let it go. and buy another vehicle it cost me 29,000 i am dwn to 17 now. but anyways i would love the help if someone could help me already spent 600 trying to get it running right. thanks lu hernandez hooray

hi guys I cleaned mine as per the forum, reset my battery and took it for a drive.my idle still takes a few seconds to drop while in drive and idle at 2500rpm in neutral? any help would be appreciated.all I did was clean the throttle body nothing else.have taken it apart and re assembled to double check for air a leaks and its all tight.thanks in advance