• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

HUNNER UCP research?

Hunner

I looked at making something sort of UCP out of flat plate back in 06 because that type of fabrication is more in line with what the shop I use, does. I was going to have more elliptical slots cut. They can knock that out quicker and without a bunch of manual welding. I have been on and off about this and recently the guy is just so busy none of my "hobby shop" projects have made it to the laser. I did have some made for a four wheeler like that. Laser and press makes fast work of that but does need lots of drain slots up to the point you don't want to weaken it. I'm just not sure how hard a hit it can take without warping. My H3 arched a set of OEM UCP but I flattened it back with a press. Maybe someday.
What thickness is that stuff?
For now I just improved on mine a bit more.
I posted some about it before but I want to get a laser cut piece there where those lines are exposed on an Alpha. We just hacked this out with a torch to see how it would work. I the interest of "git er dun" we tack welded that and the extra added strip. I have plans to use thread inserts on the long piece and tabs on the ends of the line shield so it can be bolted thru the extra holes in the cross member mount. That way anybody wanting to try this could bolt it on. I have since cut the welds with a thin blade grinder to remove it to show the Fab shop.
Another group is working on a design now as well. I may get this done but it's slow progress.
I really want to try the flat design but maybe add some cross bracing on top of it. Just for the future any and all suggestions by our group would be good to talk over.
There is also still the issue to me of the auto transmission linkage cable that is exposed and could get snagged going thru cut overs and buried obstacles under mud and snow. That would require a bit wider plate.
Bolt head protection is another issue. I don't like the flat head idea because if you do scrape a rock over them, removal could be hard to do.
A small wedge of steel just in front and or behind of a hex head might work.
There have been some modded UCP in the past by some of our group.
http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/for...t-the-THOR-parts-UCP-plates&highlight=ucp+mod
Trying to market this stuff while the OEM and Boulder stuff was selling cheap was not too viable. Now the market seems about right but I don't think $250 will cover it.
There is potential within this group to come up with a workable design so post up ideas and who ever gets one made will have some input.
Looks like again Hummer owners will have to solve our own issues with this stuff.
DAH_3737.jpg

DAH_3752.jpg

DAH_9957_exposure.jpg

Last edited:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Hunner,
Great idea to get this thread up and get those creative juices flowing through our brains! Thank you. I have a friend that also has offered to help with this project if your fab shop guy doesn't have the time.

Hunner

I still have contacts in "other" places and have done some barter and trade with one guy. He now has taken these and other accumulated ideas and has gone forth with the project as of right now. So I will lay low on this since I cannot have hands on with my guy to finish what I had in mind. It will be for the greater good to just get it done.
I have missed the opportunity due to the lack of cooperation with the owner of the fabshop on this and a couple of other things that should be done by now.
I don't have to worry bout shippin now.

cbetts

NERD!!!
I would mainly like some improvement around the t-case. There is so much room between the OEM UCP and tranny to not worry about it (remember I have the 5-speed).

I have heard enough about people taking rocks into the t-case through the OEM UCP to worry me.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
From what ive seen and heard is that the OEW UCP i think is stronger than just a flat piece of sheet metal going in between the cross members. So i think a combination of both is needed, and like cbetts said, especially in the transfer case region.

Cbetts, your UCP looks so clean!!

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hunner my steel rocker panel protection extends under the H1 about 24" on each side. it is secured on the bottom( flat 1/4" steel ) with tapered bolts that sit flush with the plate. I have slid over a lot of rocks and ledges and have yet to mess up a bolt. They install with an allen wrench.

Hunner

That is good to hear. I always thought if those type got a bad scrape I would have to drill them out and use an EZ out (a misnomenclature) I think the new skids will have little wedges welded next to hex heads for starters.
I used that type bolt head on my rock rings but fortunately have not really taken a hit.
How does the 1/4 hold up in areas where supports are spaced out? I wondered about that. The 1/4 skids I have made seem really strong but the 3/16 was a bit light.
I have been knocked out of the running trying to get a UCP made while my guy stalled. I just wanted to fill the void, pun intended but not worth competing at this point so I passed my ideas on to someone that took his ideas and found a fab shop willing to get it done.
You gotta know when to holdum and know when to fold um.

I do however still wonder about a flat skid with bent edges for strength with laser cut elongated drain holes and to lighten it. Shipping would be a bitch but could be in several pieces. I am waiting here now to get a time today to go up there but I'm not holding my breath! The only way now I would put a design out now would be that it would have more clearance. The more I wheel the more clearance I have! haha

Last edited:

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 1/4" has held up well. I do have one dent in the bottom on the passenger side, courtesy of John Bull, but that is it. I am pretty sure you saw my RPP in Moab.

Hunner

I'm a little slow, RPP? Rock protection plate? You guys were always way up front of me so I did not get to see as much of the H1's as I wanted nor get pictures.
This is a weird way to check UCP (don't try this at home or on the trail)
but do you have these flat plates down the sides and the ladder style in the middle?
hummerh1flipped06.jpg

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I like the idea of the flat sheet metal on the side with the ladder style in the middle. My only concern would be over heating and a build up of random gook in there

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm a little slow, RPP? Rock protection plate? You guys were always way up front of me so I did not get to see as much of the H1's as I wanted nor get pictures.
but do you have these flat plates down the sides and the ladder style in the middle?
hummerh1flipped06.jpg

Yes, that is the set up I have only that is the OEM RPP, mine is custom made from steel plate with 1/4' angle on the sides. The point was that the tapered bolts that help support on the bottom of the RPP fit flush and don't get snagged or deformed by contact. If the holes in the UCP could be tapered this could solve your bolt damage issue.

silvrzuki77

Hey hunner, i like the flat plate design i think with the bent edges and using a fair amount of dimple dies it could be very strong, light and still be able too cool. Ill find some pics of what im thinkin off.

Sircode13

hummerh1flipped06.jpg

I think I've seen that one before... Ouch, but yup that's pretty much how mine looks underneath. Only I used a creeper to look at mine. lol :rolleyes:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

silvrzuki77

Well i talked to my fabricator friend whi just started an offroad company, about the lack of ucp and what not, and am goin to get hopefully moving flat plate setup kind of like we were talking about. Only problem is he is in southern california and im vegas for measurements. Right now with new baby i cant get out there till june when we go to visit family ot might have to find someone on here to swing by his place. Obviously goin to keep it tucked as high as possible with drainage/heat ports. Hunner i hope your okay with this i know you have your hands full with projects. I need something soon and I do not want a oem ucp or copy personally. We were talking about possibly a coilover conversion down the road to replace the tbars. Ill post some pictures of the craftsman ship that he does later tonight.Chris

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I think that for starters, replicas of the OEM UCP need to be made because there is a shortage of them and they are something that numerous people are looking for them, we also know the specs and that they work somewhat well, except for the occasional rock coming through. Then we can move onto modifying/ making stronger/ other improvement. IMO

silvrzuki77

IMHO i dont want to settle for a copy design that works okay while something better for the same price can be produced. I think numerous people are looking for them because there is nothing else available. Spending the money for a set then modifiying it so the occasional rock doesnt go through doesnt seem wise to me. Copying a design can also cause legal issues, just saying. Time to move on i guess lol

Last edited:

Hunner

Well i talked to my fabricator friend whi just started an offroad company, about the lack of ucp and what not, and am goin to get hopefully moving flat plate setup kind of like we were talking about. Only problem is he is in southern california and im vegas for measurements. Right now with new baby i cant get out there till june when we go to visit family ot might have to find someone on here to swing by his place. Obviously goin to keep it tucked as high as possible with drainage/heat ports. Hunner i hope your okay with this i know you have your hands full with projects. I need something soon and I do not want a oem ucp or copy personally. We were talking about possibly a coilover conversion down the road to replace the tbars. Ill post some pictures of the craftsman ship that he does later tonight.Chris

I don't have any problems with some one actually doing it. If I was going secret squirrel I would have done it and then talked about it. My old Dad had a saying, "I think I'm too tired to fool with it" ha ha It's a free country, well for now, and I encourage anyone that can get us some "stuff" do so.
My problem is my guy here is maxed out right now with a Snap-On contract and my piddly stuff takes back seat.
There is another person I know and have done some swapping with that is on a mission and has taken some of my suggestions as I see I won't be able to for now. That will be a modded version of the BA/OEM.
So I will move on to maybe a one off of the flat stuff, maybe. I could just be a consultant and throw out crazy ideas.

Hunner

IMHO i dont want to settle for a copy design that works okay while something better for the same price can be produced. I think numerous people are looking for them because there is nothing else available. Spending the money for a set then modifiying it so the occasional rock doesnt go through doesnt seem wise to me. Copying a design can also cause legal issues, just saying. Time to move on i guess lol

If that occasional rock is like the one that cracked a transfer case and it's yours it could make a difference.
It does not take much to change enough to not be the same. While ethical issues could arise when you think about it, this ain't rocket science. If you use the existing holes on the H3 and use round or square or flat material, and protect the vital spots, well if it fits an H3 it's going to look about the same.
This came up about the BA bumper and while there are several aftermarket designs out there they all mount to an H3 at available mounting points and have a place to mount a winch. I don't think anybody wanted to copy one in detail but some people talked like making one similar of a discontinued product was a crime not withstanding apparently anything remotely the same to them was a copy.

We all see where all that went as far as getting something made and all the false starts.
So I think anyone that can get something made and is willing to follow thru with distribution should go for it.
I am aware of what is involved by having these skids made and selling them legally and making a paper trail thru my business to satisfy the government so it gets involved to do it right.

Last edited: