• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

U.S. & canada expedition

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I have always wanted to travel the country. I would say time is probably the toughest part so I wanna do it young. Before I am married and have kids or in the middle of a career where you cant step away for months at a time. My goal is to travel and explore the United states and parts of canada stopping at places to wheel too. I wanna meet all you some day :)

So heres the plan, After I graduate college, I will set a few months aside...Leave my part time college job and before I start my career I will hit the road. I have a rough list and its very tentative right now but
arizona, texas, arkansas, NY, georgia, north carolina, Illinois, the dakotas, alberta canada, Utah, colorado, wyoming, washington, oregon back down to northern cal to hit the rubicon and then heading back to so cal...obviously I will pass through other states to get to these places but these are just some of the places I have always wanted to see again or see for the first time.

This is a few years out seeing I have about 3 years left of college but a big trip like this needs planning and I have never done something like this. Any of you expedition guys (HUNNER :hans: )have any tips or advice on how to plan something like this?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
You and i think alike man, i want to do the same thing!! Im from the east soni wanna explore the west!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Zach

Mall Crawler
You and i think alike man, i want to do the same thing!! Im from the east soni wanna explore the west!

If you make it out to So Cal, we will show you some trails out here

Hunner

Well, DO IT, but don't wait. Do some now.
I want to go to Alaska but have been dreading the drive. The amount of time I would need makes me a bit reluctant to leave my family for that long. However one plan was to get up that way and if I needed to, fly home, wait a bit and fly back for more fun and the drive back. I would probably find an enclosed storage for the H3. I have a Nephew in Washington State though and said he would take care of it. Hmmm

I planned for years for retirement early and researched for my sailing sabbatical for years and that kept me going. I based out of Biloxi Ms. and kept my boat down there for 8 years and covered lots of the Inter-coastal waterway and the Gulf. Planning was very important but was affected by weather and my ability to keep going solo.

A Hummer About is the same way. Look up all those places and driving times. The internet has been a wonderful tool for that.
I plan a very loose route and rarely make any reservations that I have to be on a schedule to meet.

For shorter trips or on a limited amount of time, planning makes all the difference in seeing what you wanted to see. I plan optional things along the way to see but it changes as my mood does.
The planning part can be fun also and just get you fired up to do it.
The H3 is a bit less demanding than singlehanding a 27 foot 10,000 lb boat in all kinds of weather 24 hours a day. So I'm more layed back now, and older. You can cover alot more territory at 65mph than you can at 5-7 knots too.

Oh and to outfit for a long road trip your H3 will gain weight!!

Steve #1

Like Hunner said, do it now. A buddy and I made a few cross country trips in college. Some we had an ultimate destination planed and some we didn't. The one thing we always did was stop at every historical marker we passed. We paked camping stuff and would try to land in a National Forest or a state park. Some times we would grab a cheep room or just crash on the side of the road. Not having a plan, we did and saw a lot more than we would have otherwise.

Our last big trip was to go through the heart of Mexico, cross over to Baja up to northern Ca then back to Texas. He ended up with a kid, I was in a relationship and we still havn't made that trip. It was going to be a great post college sebatical, but life got in the way. I am happy we made our smaller trips and didn't have all our eggs in the one basket.

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
I've been wanting to do the same thing. I've also been trying to plan an expedition across the US traveling to different trailheads and wheeling. Be sure to stop in Rapid City!:thumbs:

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
You guys feel its better to shorter multiple trips?

Id also love to see the grand canyon again and hike to the bottom.

Dave, by the time I go gas will be near 5 bucks a gallon, ill make sure to bring some money lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

TXH3T

I'm a junior right now and have been planning a long trip as well for senior year. Defintely take shorter trips first. You'll quickly learn what you need and what you don't. You will Defintely forget things your first few times out. Also Watch your weight! These vehicles have about 1000 pounds of storage room when stock before hitting gvwr. With mods and two people you are basically there already. If you can make it to az sometime id be more than happy To show you some great trails. BTW! Overland expos in Flagstaff this year there are several long runs to and from it. I'll be doing one right after if you'd like to go

DJinCO

:thumbs: Wow. OK, I am an old fart. I assumed that the majority of the folks here were also old farts. That being incorrect, let me provide this sage advice.

Young people, if you want to make a cross-country trip, an I really encourage everyone to see as much of North America as you can, do it while you can (i.e. when you are young).

I say this because for me, I always planned my great adventures for later.

I was in the Navy for 24 years and I retired in February 2001. At that time, I was still "young enough" to work and I was saying, when I retire, now from civil service, I'll get the _______ (fill in the blank) and my wife and I will see the USA!

Then work gets in the way. Can't take more than one week at a time because you are now "too important" in your job to be allowed to take two weeks, yet alone 3 or 4, of vacation. It is always, "next year'.

Then the worst of the unexpected happens. Not to sound like a downer, but my wife has ovarian cancer. Diagnosed 2 years ago on February 1st. She had chemo for the first year. No trips that year, yet alone any trail runs. Remember, I am less than one hour and at the most 6 hours from some prime trails. Last year was pretty good. She was still tired, but able to travel in Colorado. Then the pressures of the job and not being able to be more than an "arms reach away" from work was a hassel. This year, well, this year is still an unknown for the cancer.

Don't have much hope of things changing at work. We are always preparing and reacting to national events, and hurricanes, floods, fires etc... Me, trying to find money for all of these things to be able to send people to support.

So I find myself saying in a few years. The sad reality is that in a few years, I will be alone on this quest.

OK, sorry, downer dudes....

Get out and go after college. Go in the summer when you are still able to sleep in the back of the HUMMER or in tent. Don't put it off.

:hthink: :woohoo:

Pappibri

Very wise words we all have heard also, plain and simple, Dont put off till tomorrow, what you can accomplish today.. Tomorrow and all of its problems is not a given. Life happens.. Enjoy the adventure Chris

Ron B

a friend of mine is beginning to prep his truck for a trip to Alaska. He is twisting my arm to come along (but I am sure he just wants to steal my accessories while I sleep). Would be fun to drive to the arctic circle in a hummer...not sure my butt (or wallet) could handle it.

Kurt

I agree do it!

I was planning a Cross Canada / US trip, Newfoundland to LA. The only downer, 12000 miles is a bit of a haul in the H1 on my planned routes :)

Since I got family in the transportation sector, I was thinking of flat bedding my H1 over to the east coast and drive into Canada, tour Atlantic Canada, visit family in newfoundlan then drive back to California either across the US or Across Canada and cut along the western seaboard. I may do it this fall.. I'll see...

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
This just popped into my brain, what if we all just got together like a trail run, except in would be like pan american or something like that? It'll be like the trans american Hummer expedition!

Fish

I'v never done a cross country trip but it does sound fun...but now I'm stuck in the whole career thing. I did do a ****load of smaller trips while in college so I'm thankful for that, mostly stayed in the west though. I'm also glad I got to explore alot of Baja before the cartels took over, I wouldnt even think of stepping foot into mexico right now let alone take a mod'd Hummer down there

TXH3T

First off DJinCO I'm very sorry to hear about your wife. I'll be praying for you both and I truly hope she improves. And don't worry if you ever wanna do that cross country trip there will be Lots of us here to go with you. Second cgalpha that's a great idea. I would Defintely be up for a trip like that And I'm sure many other members would be as well. Third I was really confused why everyone knew my name was chris and was posting it till I realized its 06h3s name as well haha

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Yes, Djinco, hope your wife gets well soon!! And TXH3T now we all know your name...chris :shifty:

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
So im just going to bump this thread, because this has me excited. Ive been looking at different builds over on expedition portal, and its like a freaking addiction. It make me want to drop everything and just go exploring. I heard somewhere that only 1% of the world is paved, the rest is left for us to explore, so lets go off the beaten path!!! If you cant tell, im bored and stoked to explore!