• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Little Help Please

Clark

Can any of my fellow H3 members here advise me on how to strip the chrome film
off my front grille. It's been peeling off little by little, and finally it's looking ugly.
I want to take it off. and paint it. Any recommendations Please.
Thanks
chrome.jpg

deserth3

I used a razor scraper you would use to scrape paint. Took a little time but it worked. Then sanded the plastic and covered it with bed liner.

A chrome plating shop may be able to remove it for you.

Sent from my SM-F711U1 using Tapatalk

Jeepwalker

Some portions might peel off but more than likely it'll be a real struggle to get it all off. Might be better off buying a black plastic grille if your goal is to paint it body color. Or get most of the flaky stuff off and go a thicker bedliner spray like DesertH3 said.

Gpcalero

Take it to a painter to get painted in a color that you would like. If they have a light media and not too powerful sandblaster, they can easily remove the chrome and prep it for paint.

That is how I did mine and body matched it.

Jeepwalker

A shop won't remove the chrome. It's chrome over plastic. The chrome is so much harder. Media will blow through the plastic long before the chrome. A bodyshop will just sand down the chrome, prime with an 'etching' primer ... and fill the gaps. But yeah if you want it to be body color, that would be a good idea to have a shop do it. Esp if you don't have any automotive paints around (spray can paints don't come close). Like the above poster said, go talk to a body shop.

As I said before, you would be better off buying a black one (no chrome) and having a shop spray it (using adhesion chemical promotor for plastic). The extra work to prep a chrome-plated grille vs the simple prep on a black plastic grille would probably equal the price of a black grille. And the final product of a painted black grille will look better longer. The black plastic grille can be 'treated' with an Adhesion Promoter chemical which slightly softens the top layer of plastic and then they apply primer (then paint). The primer 'melts' into the somewhat soft plastic ...kind of like pvc pipes 'melt' together when you adhere them (very similar process actually).

The difference is huge: Using an Adhesion Promoter the paint is adhered with a chemical bond (much stronger). Just sanding down the chrome and painting over it, is Mechanical Adhesion (much weaker).

Go talk to a body shop. Tell them what you want to end up with and what way you should go. Talking isn't going to cost you anything. Go to a good shop and tell them you want a grille that won't show rock chips for many yrs.

That's why most OEM bumper covers on cars can withstand years of rock chips and parking lot rash. When you see a bumper where the paint is peeling off in big flakes, chances are high it was replaced by a 'quickie' body shop and they just 'sanded' and painted an aftermarket bumper. They look good at first, but ultimately they don't last if not prepped properly. But some shops don't care.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115172339156

good luck

Last edited:

H3Hummer

I peeled mine all off with a flex with nylon discs and then Raptor coated it, like the front and rear bumper and will do all the plastics left , like on windshield , all on top and rear this summer. With the Raptor paint it works and looks great