• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Factory Black Wheels

gearhead1161

I did a search and came up with nothing. I have a 2008 black adventure package h3 and the factory 16" wheels are shiny black. Behind the lug cap and even the back of the wheels are shiny black. Did any h3 come with this? Just curious. Even the spare is shiny black everywhere.

Sent from my SM-A205U1 using Tapatalk

Jeepwalker

I believe I've seen a couple listed on the internet. I wasnt sure if they were owner-painted or not.

zebra

the only wheel options i've ever seen in the sales brochures have been chrome or silver painted versions of both the split & solid 7-spoke 16"s, and then the chrome 18" salad shooters from the H3x... but then again, i've been unable to find the 2007 & 2010 sales brochures for 100% verification.

every black OEM-looking wheel i've found on searches seems to be plasti-dipped, rattle-canned, or powder coated by whatever reproduction company or retailer is selling them.

...but now i do seem to remember reading something a few years ago about the H3T factory spares being black (which, if true, is lame because that precludes 5-tire rotations & shortens the life of the set if you're too OCD to drive with a mis-matched wheel). i could see someone piecing together a set of those - similar to how people started snatching up the solid 22" transit wheels from when the factory sent the fancy upgraded Escalade & Denali 22"s boxed up in the back of the truck for the dealer to swap after shipment... or people using the 2004-2006 GTO spares as cheap drag skinnies.

Last edited:

gearhead1161

Well, I want to thank you all for the comments. After looking real hard at mine, they were either painted black or powder coated at the factory or a previous owner spent some dough to get them done right. Other than removing the tire to see what the inside looks like, they are shiny black everywhere. The paint isn't even chipped from rock chips. It's almost ceramic looking. I think they are powder coated.

zebra

What wheels came on the ‘07 Tactical Edition?

oh... i totally forgot about that one. looks like they did have black solid-spoke 16"s from the factory.
'twas an option in '07 (which i couldn't find the brochure for). funny enough, though, is that you couldn't get the adventure package on the tactical edition... which is counter-intuitive.

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 09.15.11.png

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

In the northern salt-belt, aluminum wheels go 'funny' after a good 8 winters. The normal problem are lazy monkeys at tire shops which pound on weights and chip the clearcoat. Or shops that handle them rough. Then corrosion occurs under chipped areas. If a guy can keep the clearcoat from being disturbed, AL wheells will stay nice looking for years longer. Once they start to get 'funny' ...that is, corroding beneath the clearcoat, 2nd or 3rd owners often strip the clear and paint the wheels black or silver. I have a few sets of Chrome-plated wheels which still look great, and a real nice set I bought off Craigslist back during the stay-at-home quarantine (April 2020) for like 175 (for 5 wheels) that look perfect. Saving them for down the road.

It wouldn't be that difficult for a guy who knew what he was doing to strip a set, sand down the corrosion and spray automotive-quality base/clear paint on a set of scabby AL wheels and make them look real nice ...and have a durable finish.

That might be what a PO did on your wheels. Or they stripped a set and took them to a powdercoating place (more likely). That's becoming more common these days. It's less work (people like less work ..he he)

Last edited:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Black H3/H3T OEM wheels included the spoked Tactical Edition wheels (rare find) and the black steelie wheels (also rare find). Anyone looking for a set of new never used H3T black steelie wheels?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

gearhead1161

I took off the lug nut covers and they are black on the backside with what looks to be some kind of manufacturing sticker. I used my knife to cut a small sliver from the inside and the plastic is black also through and through. I was just wondering because I haven't seen many factory wheels that were black and the ones I have seen are painted or plasti-dipped. I think these are factory tactical editions.

H3Hummer

Found one guy here in Luxembourg with an 2007 and he got black 16" OEM Hummer wheels from stock.

I just let sandblasted and powder coated mine in satin black in Germany for about 950$ all 5, rebalance and mounted

gearhead1161

Just looked up my vin/rpo codes. Originally, this h3 had a chrome front grille and chrome wheels. It has a black grille with the hummer letter decals on it and all black wheels. I don't know who or why the changes were made but I like it.
fca91678ebfe54e5ee501e970654b4d1.jpg

zebra

Just looked up my vin/rpo codes. Originally, this h3 had a chrome front grille and chrome wheels. It has a black grille with the hummer letter decals on it and all black wheels. I don't know who or why the changes were made but I like it.
fca91678ebfe54e5ee501e970654b4d1.jpg

looks very tactical