Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bald Tire
    Thanks

Front Diff help!!! 08 Alpha, Rancho lift

I need a source for the outside front diff bushings. These are the ones on the bracket bolted to the diff on the outsides where the CV joints enter the diff.
    Name:  Screenshot_20220111-154713.png
Views: 211
Size:  2.99 MB

Thanks,

Matt

El Diablo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,693 Times in 1,865 Posts

Baja
    Thanks
    The Outfitter Design bushing are really nice.

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    I'll give Outfitter Designs a call. There's another post here that says they're not compatible with the Rancho lift.

Thanks guys!

Matt

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    I don't see why they wouldn't be compatible with the Rancho lift, the Rancho uses the OEM brackets and diff crossmember. Looking at that pic I see no reason it wouldn't work. I bet OD will know for sure since they definitely would have heard if that was an issue, and I think they even have a H3 with the Rancho in their stable.
    2008 H3 Alpha

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - General John Stark

N1JPA

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,009 Posts
    Might look around for Colorado/Canyon offerings too. That way you can get extras (C/Cs have four bushings).

If all else fails, make your own. Years ago (before OD was around), I used some aftermarket urethane bushings on a customer’s H3. I cannot remember the exact application but, I think they were for a small leaf spring…Toyota maybe?

I recall they were too long so I cut the length down. I used a torch to melt out the original bushings then cut out the thin sheet metal sleeves with a sawzall. Then they popped right in without any drama. I posted this mod on H4O but it was so long ago, it might be hard to find on here.

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lfootmatt View Post
    I'll give Outfitter Designs a call. There's another post here that says they're not compatible with the Rancho lift.
    I believe the two outer bushings from Outfitter will work. The bushing located in the center is the one that may not work with a Rancho lift kit. Hopefully someone else will chime in and confirm this is correct.
    '10 H3T

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    I have an email into Outfitter Design. Hopefully they will sell me a partial kit. Seems a waste to pay that much when I can't use 1/3 of the kit!

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    Outfitter Design may make good stuff, but they do not answer email inquiries. If you want $200 from me you'd damn well better reply.

Disappointed! On with the hunt for bushings.

Matt

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Outfitter Design may make good stuff, but they do not answer email inquiries. If you want $200 from me you'd damn well better reply.
    Have a little patience. I'm happy with all of the Outfitter products I have purchased.
    '10 H3T

Baja
    Thanks

Matt
    Sorry for the late reply we have been slammed with inquiries and no inventory so it has been a tough ride the past year. Hundreds of general questions about the H3 platform and then normal product questions have been coming in for some strange reason in a volume we are not used to.

The rancho does not use a stock crossmember. They use their own crossmember design along with their own bushing and rely on their taller and more supple crossmember bushing to compress at an angle to make it work. Years ago when 'Squeaky' had a rancho lift I helped Chris make a one-off crossmember bushing out of the same material we use for the outer bushings and identically matched the dimensions of the factory rancho crossmember bushing. When Chris installed the outboard bushings and our crossmember bushing it would not work and had to cut the crossmember bushing at an angle to get the diff to bolt in at the crossmember. Since then we have not offered a bushing for the rancho.

The issue with us selling just the outboard bushings is you are going to have different durometer material holding the diff at one out of three mounting points which isnt good.
    Current:

2006 Red H3 Adventure/ luxury- 37" iroks, HD tierods, steering rack kit, custom front IFS HP Dana 44 diff with Yukon zip locker, Np241 manual T-case, 6.0L VVT/ 6L90 swap
    2007 Black H3 Luxury- 1.25" bodylift, elocker, 4:1 t-case, steering rack kit, custom front IFS HP Dana 50 diff with truetrac, 37" bfg km2, H3x 18" wheels
    2008 White H3 Adventure
    2009 White H3 Alpha Cammed 6.0L and 35s
    Past:
    2009 Black H3T base on 37s- Sold
    2008 Black Alpha x on 37s -Sold
    2008 Victory Red Alpha x -Sold
    2006 Yellow Adventure 5 speed on 35s -Sold
    2006 Grenade Green Adventure -Sold
    2006 Black Adventure Lux on 35s -Sold

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by atvspeed4 View Post
    Sorry for the late reply we have been slammed with inquiries and no inventory so it has been a tough ride the past year. Hundreds of general questions about the H3 platform and then normal product questions have been coming in for some strange reason in a volume we are not used to.

The rancho does not use a stock crossmember. They use their own crossmember design along with their own bushing and rely on their taller and more supple crossmember bushing to compress at an angle to make it work. Years ago when 'Squeaky' had a rancho lift I helped Chris make a one-off crossmember bushing out of the same material we use for the outer bushings and identically matched the dimensions of the factory rancho crossmember bushing. When Chris installed the outboard bushings and our crossmember bushing it would not work and had to cut the crossmember bushing at an angle to get the diff to bolt in at the crossmember. Since then we have not offered a bushing for the rancho.

The issue with us selling just the outboard bushings is you are going to have different durometer material holding the diff at one out of three mounting points which isnt good.
    Thanks for getting back to me! I was afraid of such an issue. Currently there seems to be no solution to this problem. All I need are the outer diff support bushings. Looks like I'm going to track down brackets at this point.

Thanks!

Matt

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    Scorpworks to the rescue! Called them direct, Dwaine had 1 set of brackets on the shelf. He's building the set today and will ship. $100 a side + shipping and core deposit. He confirmed that H3 customers doomed his products by never returning the cores. He sounded surprised when he found a set of diff brackets on the shelves. He also provided that the GM factory bushings in current replacement parts are even worse than the originals, if you can find them. You cannot, I tried.

Driver's side easy, lots available. Passenger side, gone, I found 1 in Australia, and no, I'm not kidding!

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Matt

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    Orphan trucks suck! Still waiting on parts, next day has turned into 3+ weeks! Supposedly back in town next week. Kids truck down over a month now with a bad CV joints and these stupid diff brackets/bushings.

All Terrain
    Thanks
    You see your CV boot is bad, right? Easy fix if you get on it right away before dust gets in there.

Hey, are they using salt down there now in the mountains? I'm surprised how rusty it looks underneath for an AZ vehicle.

Hope the new bushing comes quick ...
    Jeepwalker

'07 H3 Advent/Lux
    Jeep XJ, ZJ, WJ
    Ram & GMC 4x4's
    Toyota Hilux