• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

AIRDOC. Will it help me?

fowlken8

I've read all the threads. There doesn't seem to be any DYNO results showing changes, but people love it. It's not unnecessarily pricey so I'm ok with it.

My 3 is lifted on 35s. I ordered a snorkel, which I won't use. I just like the look.

Is this beneficial at all? I drive like an old person. I also like supporting forum members.

Do it? Dont, because I use my vehicle like a sedan? Just do it because why not, and it's more than likely better than not doing it?

Thanks!

H3.PNG

amrg

It will add power but not enough. The H3 system isnt that restrictive for 240 hp to start with.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

720H

I'll make a guess. On an intake the bigger something is decreases air speed on the low end plus this one dosnt give a different air filter. I have something similar on my F150 but they gave it a humungus air filter. No way of telling power if any gained. I think I get better gas mileage on the Xway in most conditions. Even when the filter gets dirty still better than a stock filter. Airdoc looks better if you keep a clean engine bay sounds better too

amrg

And it transferd vibes more to the airbox since its a rigid setup

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Happy Hummer

It'll provide better mpg because your wallet will weigh less... lol!
Seriously, I've used the OEM air box for years and the H3 seems to run just fine. By the way I clearly do not have a add on air intake system so I'm not picking on the brand, I'm just being silly and giving my lil opinion.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

They look good, but I personally wouldn't bother unless you've seriously hot-rodded up your engine (requiring more airflow), or your existing airbox or snorkel was damaged, etc. These low-restriction air 'gimmicks' are just that. They're an easy sell for mfgrs, and many (not necessarily this one) where you have a bare filter under the hood are a serious step backwards. Even if they HAD dyno numbers, what good would they be? It's not real-world conditions on your vehicle like you drive it. And some of these low-air restriction systems may not be engineered to drop dust or channel air as well. Dyno numbers can be skewed lot's of different ways.

I'm reasonably confident GM added n+.25 (25% more than it needs) on the air intake because that's what engineers tend to do. I have to say, I'm impressed with how well the Atlas engine is engineered and the H3 in general (not perfect, but pretty darn good). I would at least expect the GM engineers to accommodate airflow for the max rated engine RPM, (5,600 rpm?). And how much time do you ever drive at your vehicle's rated rpm going to work, the grocery store, off-road, or down the highway? Probably never. Therefore at lower RPM you're only ever sucking a small fraction of the airflow the existing pipe can deliver. Which is to say, a larger pipe is completely unnecessary for better daily driving engine performance and will have somewhere between negligible to zero impact on performance and fuel economy. You'd probably save a lot more in fuel by removing the truck's heavy 65# spare tire during daily driving.

I would offer up to put the money into other mods you need/want, or parts that one might not be able to buy in the near future (like a new sunroof gasket). Or buy a decent, used, Snap-on or Tech II scanner (if you don't have one), which I guarantee you WILL need (or definitely wish you had) at some point to help debug some sneaky electrical issue. Or, if you like how they look, what the heck ...go for it. Not any different than a brush guard. How often do I drive through brush with my hummer? Like never, lol. Anyway, just my thoughts, take them for what they're worth (not much ...lol).

Nice looking rig BTW!

Last edited:

crwalkerasla

I am running a K&N rather than Airdoc. Sound got better, did see a minor bump in mpg & skinny peddle response. And a better bump after PC tune of NC.

650Hawk

On my Alpha, I made my own. Actually, I just cut the large resonator section off of the intake tube and covered the hole with a piece of plastic, pop-riveted and siliconed in place. However, I did it mainly because I was having an intermittent wiring issue and the top of the engine/wiring harness was inaccessible with the intake resonator in place. I needed to have the engine running and fully put together while manipulating the wiring harness, and that was the only way to do so. That said, there was a slight difference in sound, but no noticeable difference in power or MPG. BTW, I also have a K&N filter (in the stock airbox).
IMG-20160726-193151825-HDR.jpg IMG-20160726-193126333.jpg

650Hawk

It's actually just a flat piece of black plastic (I believe ABS) that I had lying around. Cut it to size, bent it to wrap around the pipe and cover the opening, and used silicone and pop-rivets to install. Also moved the PCV fitting to it, since it is originally attached to the stock resonator portion.

JPaul

It's actually just a flat piece of black plastic (I believe ABS) that I had lying around. Cut it to size, bent it to wrap around the pipe and cover the opening, and used silicone and pop-rivets to install. Also moved the PCV fitting to it, since it is originally attached to the stock resonator portion.

If it was ABS sheet you probably could have grabbed a bottle of ABS cement from Home Depot and just glued it on, pretty certain the intake tube is made from ABS as well. Then to clamp it on put some wax paper over the seams to keep the cement from sticking to anything and wrapped it with a strap or rope to hold it in place while the cement cures.