• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

The 300,000th Mile

08H3

Our H3 just passed the 300,000 mile mark. Like the 250,00th mile, I think it's only fitting for a Hummer to reach that milestone off-road. Wasn't anything technical, but I felt it was more appropriate to have dirt rather than asphalt under the tires for the occasion. Once a car starts to get a few miles on the odometer, the big milestones start to seem a little more exciting. We probably would have actually hit this early in the year if not late last year, however thanks to Covid, we really didn't put a lot of miles on it in 2020. Honestly, for a truck that's looked down on (by owners and non-owners alike) at times, I think it's been a pretty good vehicle. We ordered it new in late 2007 and took delivery in February 2008, so all those miles are mine or my wife's. Engine and transmission have not been touched, and are still in good shape. I still like the H3 and really see no practical reason I won't be posting a 400,000th mile thread at some point. The only thing I can see keeping it from reaching the 400K mark is the Hummer EV. My wife is really, REALLY wanting one and if she wins out, I suppose it would be the new daily driver and the H3 would become another secondary car. Time will tell, I guess, but for now I'll just appreciate making it this far.

And for those wondering what a 300,000 mile Hummer is worth, apparently not much! I put it in the "Sell My Car" calculator on Carvana's web site and they say $400! Thanks, but hard pass! :giggle:
[video=youtube_share;9yWpViS7_xM]https://youtu.be/9yWpViS7_xM[/video]
PXL_20211001_224906531.jpgCarvana.jpg

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Wow, that's a great milestone! Congrats. And thanks for the nice write-up. Mine's getting up close to 200k, orig engine/trans too. My question is, what things haven't held up well (besides the obvious UCA and probably wheel bearings) .....and what items do you see are worn and need replacing soon?

08H3

Wheel bearings, brake calipers, upper control arms, and VVT solenoid. Those are the 4 items I have replaced the most, but honestly I don't think it's been that bad given how I use it. Our property is bisected by a shallow river and I do a lot of fording. I've replaced the same suspension items on my truck quite a bit, so I think a lot of that has to do with being submerged a lot. I did grenade the aluminum front diff at around 80k, but have not had a catastrophic failure once going to the cast iron. It has been rebuilt a couple times though by 4Speed. Same with the transfer case. I am on the second transfer case. Not catastrophic failure, just a stretched chain.

Not really anything worn at the moment that needs fixed. I think that's one of the keys to keeping any car running though. Fix things as they come up instead of letting the little things stack up.

Perhaps the most amazing thing is what HAS survived all those miles. I'm still on the original steering rack and tie rods and I have one U-joint (rear joint, rear prop shaft) that is still the original factory part.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Just curious how the following items have held up on your rig:

1- Shocks? (just curious ....mine are still Orig!)
2- Door hinges?
3- Door gaskets?
4- Lower Ball Joints? (mine are orig and seem tight still)
5- Radiator?
6- Rear Door hinge or rubber rear hinge locating (centering) block?
7- Lower A-arm bushings?
8- Front axle half-shafts?
9- Any sensors crap out?

I should source a cast iron front diff too one of these days. Good idea!

Guerrero

Amazing! :D

You are showing what I always though about H3s, that is an amazing truck, super reliable, tough and strong!
Now I move on to a Alpha version, but my previously H3 5 cylinder was bullet proof, just take care of it, and do preventative maintenance to engine and transmission...that's all

Hope you reach to 400.000 mile mark, EV is awesome but excesive weight and size, H3 is much more practical and logical!

Thanks for sharing!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Wow!! Congrats on the milestone and that’s amazing that the engine and trans have been untouched!

08H3

Just curious how the following items have held up on your rig:

2- Door hinges?
3- Door gaskets?
5- Radiator?
7- Lower A-arm bushings?
9- Any sensors crap out?

I should source a cast iron front diff too one of these days. Good idea!

Through weird circumstances, I have never worn out a set, though I have had 3 sets on the front and 2 on the rear. I had Adventure shocks on the front, switched to Cognitos, sold them, put the Adventures back on, scored a deal on Cognitos and went back to them. None ever wore out. On the rear, I replaced them at 200K, but honestly they were still fine. Just replaced them for the mileage, even though that's not something I typically do.

2- Door hinges?
All are still in good shape. I give them a light squirt of motor oil every 5K with tire rotation.

3- Door gaskets?
All good except bottom of the rear gate, but that's not a defect. I had a quart of oil in the rear door that leaked and found it's way down to the seal. It messed it up pretty quick, so keep oil off of them!

Third set. OEM lasted until about 80K, AC Delco greasable until about 180K, and Rare Parts greasable are in it now with about 120K.

5- Radiator?
First one lasted until about 175K. No issues on the GM replacement yet.

No issues.

7- Lower A-arm bushings?
Replaced with Siberian bushings around 200K. Originals had some visible cracking, but not to the point I would say they failed.

Never had a shaft itself fail, but tore several boots. I'm lazy and that's kind of a nasty dirty job changing the boots, so I kind of lucked into some deals on Rock Auto and take off shafts so I just kept replacing good shafts with bad boots.

9- Any sensors crap out?
I can't recall having ever changed out any of the sensors.

crwalkerasla

The engine/trany untouched is AMAZING! My 2006 is getting close to that point , but it seemed that I went through a series major rebuilds at 200-225 K.

08H3

I was feeling like I actually accomplished something with my H3 until my neighbor sent me this picture from his '96 GMC!
244205928_1053300052077846_7405339419690957899_n.jpg

crwalkerasla

Understood. I had an uncle who was a consultant to papermills & traveled all over the country. He had a Suburban (don't know the year) with over 500,000 when his company got him a new van. He was a firm believer in Duralube with every oil change!

Jeepwalker

Woah! Dang ...that's almost the million mile club! Or is he driving in reverse mostly? lol...