• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Ouray CO, August 2022?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Well, I think it's time to figure out the framework for an H4O Ouray trip in August, 2022. I've worked on some of the basics already.

• Trip will be trails on Monday-Thursday, with hotel stays being Sun-Fri to avoid the heavy weekend traffic/hotel rates
  • "Home" hotel/cabins will likely be Ouray Riverside Inn. Note that the neighboring property bought this one so that they are all looped together under one website, https://www.ourayriversideresort.com/. I'll be staying at the northern of the two adjoining properties, here. It's the one with the gas station out front, both motel rooms and cabins and w/o RV sites. Obviously attendees can stay anywhere.
  • Dates TBD based on your input. Maybe August 7-12, 2022? Please weigh in.
  • I'll likely set up a specific itinerary of trails. If we have more than 8 vehicles, I think we split into two groups as these trails can be crowded and there's often not room to pull over.
  • For the most part, it's not difficult trails though it's often sharp rocks. And tight trails with scary drops. We assisted an H3 once that had three flats, though he was riding on those Wrangler RTS street tires. Larger vehicles might find it difficult to do Black Bear Pass. We'll likely aim for this trail on the 2nd day of trails (Tuesday) so we can have flexibility in the event of bad weather or other issues.

Please share your comments and suggestions. We'll still have our April Moab trip after EJS.

BlackBear%20082514%20%2829%29-L.jpg

BlackBear%20082514%20%2858%29-L.jpg

BlackBear%20082514%20%2830%29-L.jpg

ImogenePass%20082514%20%2851%29-L.jpg

jakesz28

This will be a fun trip. There is only one difficult trail around Silverton and Ouray and it has bypasses. Biggest problem is traffic and passing other vehicles.

jakesz28

Is this going to be August 7-12th? I am in, need to get it on the calendar. This will likely be the ZR2 and camping in Ironton. There is a big dispersed camping spot in Ironton if anyone needs the location. We could have several spots there and room to park tow vehicles if needed. There is another large dispersed camping site outside of Silverton with 4g service. Ironton has little to no cell service.

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I'm keeping an eye on this trip. No dates planned yet. Early hotel rates are not very reasonable.

jakesz28

I will be camping, makes it more interesting. This year in between 8/13-8/31 we woke up several mornings in 28* weather. We had a couple days of snow and sleet at the top of the passes. It was a great trip and we are definitely going back.
Camping at 11,000 feet should not be done early in the trip. For us low elevation people it takes a few days for your body to adjust to the elevation.

Greg Harral would be a good one to have with us. He is local to that area.

Last edited:

jakesz28

28* Not taking the Scorpion.

That was more of an overnight low or morning temperature. We did have a morning were we camped in Ironton at about 8000 feet. The trails above 9000 feet had snow. The day time temps may have been 50-60* but the tops of a couple passes with the cold fronts could be 40 and windy.
We actually ran the Rimrocker and spent 2 days in Moab to let that cold front pass through.

jakesz28

Here is a list of trails we did on our Colorado trip this year. We actually went into Moab to get away from a cold front. This was 18 days of camping out of our ZR2.

Trails we ran solo.

Alpine Pass, consisting of Mineral Creek, Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass, Wager Gulch, California Gultch, Hurricane Pass, Corkscrew Gultch.

Ophir Pass
Red Mountain Mining Area
Porphyria Gulch
Rimrocker
Gemini Bridges (Moab)
Kendall Mountain Pass

Trails ran with a Greg Harral.
Blackbear Pass
Imogene Pass
Devils Punch Bowl
Schofield Pass
Pearl pass
Devils Punchbowl and Schofield Pass were the scariest.
Best couple weeks we had on the trails.

SickStringC

Interested and happy to help Trail lead / tail gun. San Juan’s are a 2 hour day trip from home for me. Also happy to share intel on camping in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Thanks. I haven't looked at this in a little while. I need to do so soon, likely right after Moab.

Vdawg1115

I would love to. Unfortunately I know the Mrs wants to visit Colorado also……but the newborn will still be on a frequent breastfeeding schedule at that time. We don’t want to hold up the group.

jakesz28

I seen in the other thread this may get rescheduled. Is this currently still happening or is this going to be a 2024 trip?

We had so much fun by ourselves and the few days with Greg we are still doing a Colorado trip this year

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I don't know if I'll organize a trip for this year, but that shouldn't stop others from going or organizing on their own. I really enjoy going to Ouray but I'm not sure that my personal schedule in 2022 will allow it.