• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H2 to H3 Drive Train Swap???

crwalkerasla

With >265K on my 2006 I5 and a recent Oil Pressure Sensor scare, I've started thinking about a new power plant for my H3. Ruled out an I5 rebuild & Turbo for a Gen IV LS swap and really want to rid myself of the ever failing transmission. When looking for donor GM trucks that came equipped in this fashion, I saw the Gen2 H2 as a potential candidate. Has anyone explored this as an option? I'm leaning towards a full drive train swap, Engine, Trany, T-case, & Front & Rear axels. The end game for this is to build a SOLID overlander that I don't have to worry about when I head out west for a two week trip through the desert & Mtns.

atvspeed4

No need to find an H2.

Any GenIV engine will work. 6l80e in the 2008-2009 is the less desirable years anyways so if you are going that route look for a 2010 6l80 out of any GM. Do research as we explained in other threads the output shaft has to be turned down to 27 spline to fit the h3 transfercase input. Speaking of which, the H2 is driverside drop and the H3 is passenger side drop. This goes for the front diff as well. No you cannot flip and we looking into full custom mounts but there is not enough room for the steering rack.

I would not waste time and money doing what you are looking to do. There is a point that you would cross time and money wise to be better off buying a H2, if you want better clearance on the trails get the SUT version. We wheel in new england and its all tight jeep trails. My business partners H2 SUT fits much better on the off camber trails with the cab corner near trees than the SUV body style.

A proper built 4L65E is going to be fine for you and 99% of people out there. There are a bunch of bad shops "building" them but others are great. The h2 I mentioned has a PATC Level 4 with 300m shafts. He has stock 4.10 gears, 37x13.5s and it is our tow rig for trucks we are building and moving our tractors etc which is over GCVWR a decent amount. We have gone cross country to moab and towed with it for several years with no slipping issues. If you do the research the 6l80e isnt as glorious strength wise as people on the forum make it out to be. We have a 6l90E in our H3 but its a very custom setup I do like the 6l90 alot and it handles anything we have done without an issue but we miss having AWD.

crwalkerasla

ATVSpeed4,
Thank you for the input! So if I am reading this correct, look for a 2010 Gen IV w/ either a 4L65E or 6L80 if I want to maintain AWD and the 'Very Custom' 6L90 for 2wd.