• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

16 gallon tank H1?

MattySchep

This has got to be an issue with slosh or overfill. But I swear I only get 16 gallons in my tank. I have been working on my rig, it was a 6.5L diesel, converted to a BBC 502. I have spent the entire ownership of 5 months on the interior and adding a Sniper EFI to it.
Had to run the EFI return line to one of the breather venta in the tank. Thankfully there are two. But I only get 16 gallons before it shuts off, full. I'm a 1993 H1, so there is only one tank on these.
Need help knowing if my trailer queen is going to be dropped off at the gas station every damn trip.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
The truck originally came with a 28.5 gallon tank, of which about 25 gallons was considered useable. Has the tank possibly been replaced at some point with an after market tank?

MattySchep

Nope, it is original, and can tell, based on the very antiquated shape.
When the BBC swap was done, they left the stock sending unit, and did an AN fitting at the base of the tank for an external pump. There is something I feel I am missing other than dropping the tank

Last edited:

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check the two tank vents? One in the engine compartment on the passenger side by the firewall and one on the passenger side at the rear of the truck under the fender.

MattySchep

The vent by the passenger firewall was bypassed when I got it(hard plastic line with a check valve on it?). Might have also been a return line, but got melted before my ownership by the exhaust, and so inoperable.