• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rascole's SAS build

rascole

Rascole's SAS/V8 swap build

Well the time has come to finally start a build thread. Should have started one with all the additions I have done over the past 9 years but now is a good starting point.
I have an 06 Adventure with a Rancho and SOA and a bunch of other upgrades. It has been great for camping and some tough trails, but now I want more.
Here are the basics - Dana 44, 5.38, ARB, RCV axles, Reid knuckles, hydro assist, Toyota steering box, coil overs, 37" tires on beadlocks and THOR parts frame plates and hubs. I will post a detailed list of parts and part numbers when it is done.

Here is the cornerstone of the build, a Dana 44 with 1/2" wall tubes, best I can research the build code says it is from a 3/4 ton 70's GM truck.

20210531_134233 (1280x720).jpg

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I’m glad you were able to get a set of 37s. Backorders have gotten out of hand on 37-42in tires.

Can’t wait to see the progress!

rascole

Everything nicely separated too. What parts are you still waiting on?
Only item waiting on are the axles. Rears deliver @ July 10 and RCV's are still 6 weeks out. I may have to go with plan B and get some regular shafts until they arrive. Other than that, only some small items Steve may need.

Gtown

Dang looks like everything is almost coming together. Would love to know at the end of the build how much everything was for a SAS conversion. Thinking about doing one myself but don't know if I have the money to do it.

rascole

The SAS parts list.

To answer some question on what parts are needed for a SAS build, I have a list with part numbers I kept while buying the parts. You can price them out for comparison and some parts you may not need. I shopped around a lot and was able to get some good prices from eBay, Offerup, Craigslist etc. I bought all new parts with the exception of the D44 axle housing and I opted for parts that would be considered strongest for reliability reasons. The list is about 95% complete only a few smaller parts are needed but need to wait until installation is almost done before they are ordered. I will add the completed list when it is done.

Rear axle rebuild.
1 Yukon Gear ring and pinion 5.38 ratio YG GM8.5-538
2 Yukon Gear “C” clips YSPCC-010
3 Yukon Gear master overhaul kit GM YK GM8.6-A
4 Nitro Gear & Axle rear chromoly shafts AXG40022632
5 ARB rear locker RD222
6 ACDelco rear diff gasket 15860607

Front axle build.
1 D44 housing D44
2 Yukon Gear ring and pinion 5.38 ratio YG D44-538
3 Yukon Gear master overhaul kit GM YK D44
4 ARB front locker RD116
5 Reid Racing knuckles D44001CL & D44001CR
6 Yukon Gear Hardcore locking hubs YHC 70006
7 RCV axle set CVJ44OS-GM1
8 Yukon Gear spindles x2 YP SP706529
9 Spicer ball joints x2 706116X
10 Spicer Front D44 U bolt yoke 248091x
11 Poison Spyder D44 cover 42-11-044-PC
12 Timken bearings x2 LM501349 & LM104949
13 Timken seals x2 471271
14 Spicer spindle locknut kit x2 28068X
15 Spicer knuckle/spindle stud set 36326-2
16 Front diff gasket Lube Locker LLR-D044
17 THOR Parts hubs with tone rings and caliper bracket THOR Parts

Ruffstuff parts
1 Ruffstuff GM Crossover Steering kit high angle drag link ends R1304
2 Ruffstuff chassis link brackets R1308
3 Ruffstuff 3 legged link bracket zero degree R1381
4 Ruffstuff adjustable axle mount link tower driver front R2094
5 Ruffstuff 3.0” axle mount 0 degree link brackets R1038
6 Ruffstuff monster axle side mount shock bracket pair R1384
7 Ruffstuff panhard kit / track bar R1353
8 Ruffstuff Dana 44 high steer R1798
9 Ruffstuff high steer stud kit x2 R1534
10 Ruffstuff toyota drop pitman arm R218

Additional parts
1 Fox 2.0 coil over 980-02-009
2 Eibach upper springs 1200.250.0250S
3 Eibach lower springs 1400.250.0400S
4 Toyota FJ80 steering box Red-Head Steering Gears 19721
5 PSC Hydro assist SC 2200K
6 PSC Tie rod clamp RRCL09B
7 Rock Jock Johnny Joints right hand x3 CE-9114 & CE CE-9114B
8 Rock Jock Johnny Joints left hand x3 CE-9114L & CE CE-9114BL
9 THOR Parts frame plates THOR Parts

rascole

So I decided to add to this build title a V8 swap. Was wanting to do it in a few years but you know how that goes. With Alpha specific parts getting harder to find I decided to start gathering parts now. First buy is this 2008 Alpha 4L60E which I got them to send the ECM and TCM.
Here is my first question, can the ECM and TCM be bench tested outside the vehicle? I would like to test them before they get installed which may be over a year from now.

122119a.JPG

jimmy p

I made a bench harness with a junkyard e67 harness, ac to 12v adapter and a obd2 plug and am able to access and flash my ecm/tcm with hp tuners. It isnt a full function test but at least you can verify they aren't dead and make sure they have the right base operating system to start with. The e67 is a common controller on many different vehicles so the ecm connectors and pigtails aren't hard to find at a local u pull.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gpcalero

Congrats on deciding to do a V8 swap!

I am in the middle of LS swapping my Alpha and will have a few pieces you may need. I still have the LH8/Alpha specific exhaust manifolds (may be spoken for), and the Alpha torque converter. Not sure if you need those but they are available to you if you need. I may have other items as I find that I won't need them.

What V8 are you thinking of running?

rascole

Congrats on deciding to do a V8 swap!

I am in the middle of LS swapping my Alpha and will have a few pieces you may need. I still have the LH8/Alpha specific exhaust manifolds (may be spoken for), and the Alpha torque converter. Not sure if you need those but they are available to you if you need. I may have other items as I find that I won't need them.

What V8 are you thinking of running?
Still looking for a lot of parts, let me know about the exhaust manifolds, they look to be readily available so no worries if they are taken. I will be getting a new converter when the tranny is built. I will most likely go with a 6.2 reman with a small cam upgrade, everything I have found said for torque anything more than a small cam upgrade is a waste and only gains top end, something I don't need. Local engine builder is trying to talk me into a truck 6.0 and stroking it, he said it is better for torque than a 6.2. some of the parts like the fan shrouds are stupid expensive, what are you doing for a shroud? For the $400+ for a shroud it might be better to have a custom one built.

Gpcalero

Still looking for a lot of parts, let me know about the exhaust manifolds, they look to be readily available so no worries if they are taken. I will be getting a new converter when the tranny is built. I will most likely go with a 6.2 reman with a small cam upgrade, everything I have found said for torque anything more than a small cam upgrade is a waste and only gains top end, something I don't need. Local engine builder is trying to talk me into a truck 6.0 and stroking it, he said it is better for torque than a 6.2. some of the parts like the fan shrouds are stupid expensive, what are you doing for a shroud? For the $400+ for a shroud it might be better to have a custom one built.

The exhaust manifolds are being held for EndeavoredH3 (I think that's his handle) until my swap is done unfortunately. If that changes, I'll let you know.

Building the engine can be a pretty pretty, ask me how I know! haha. But if you are going to be stroking an existing block then 6.0 block might but cheaper, but there's no replacement for displacement! I am running an ECP radiator with the Supermodulation dual V8 efans, it comes with a shroud. Regrettably, I threw away my stock Alpha shroud and didn't know how hard they were to come by. I know Acer was looking for one for a while before he was finally able to get his hands on one.

fanugy

408 stroker (6.0 .30 over) can crank torque out on low end with most power output between 3500-5500. You tube Richard Holdener. I have one I’m building in my shop now- just haven’t been able to talk myself into the garage in the heat…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I’d love to do a 408 or 427 stroker with my L92 6.2 one day. The 6.2 will hold overdrive on 40s at freeway speeds but the 43s sucked up a ton of power.

rascole

Stupid me, started this and forgot to update. Lots of pictures to upload. SAS install is moving right along. I'm 350 miles away but it looks and sounds like it is going great. Only head scratcher was if we should go with high steer top mount, under mount or use the Reid knuckle mounts.
High mount would be very close to hitting the pitman arm on compression, under mount would drop it a couple of inches but wound need to mount it in the forward holes. Reid standard mounts are 3/4" higher than a stock D44 mount so that's the route we decided.
I originally was going with Yukon Hardcore locking hubs but neither Yukon or RCV would warranty if used together because they have not been tested together. Apparently the specific cut, pressure angle cut, of the cogs is different and would create high pressure points and prematurely fail. So I went with my original plan and went with slugs. No 2WD for me.
All other aspects are pretty straight forward installs.

IMG_20210725_100057 (960x1280).jpg
IMG_20210725_100101 (480x360).jpg

Vdawg1115

I think you’ll be fine with using the Reid knuckle mounts for the tie rod and the steering arm for the drag link. That’s how everyone has been doing it without issue.

I know in the case of mine, I had to do it that way because of clearance issues