• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Colorado trip in planning

jakesz28

I will be making a trip to Colorado in July. Thinking Black Bear pass and Imogene Pass. Ouray and Silverton area. Any must see areas or good dispersed campsite locations to see? Will be taking the ZR2 on this one.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Ouray is a fantastic area to spend time and hit the trails. I haven't camped; I've always stayed in cabins. Keep an eye on trail conditions as Black Bear Pass traditionally opens about July 4 but it can be later if there's late snow. Be sure to explore Engineer Pass and nearby areas, including Alpine. You of course need to drive the Million Dollar Highway between Silverton and Ouray.

Best burgers are Maggie's Kitchen. Good BBQ in Silverton at Thee Pitts Again.

If you don't have this book already - get it! https://funtreks.com/product/guide-to-colorado-backroads-4-wheel-drive-trails-4th-edition/

LagunaH1

Veeeeeery interesting. I wonder if a Power Wagon will fit on those tight switchbacks on... is it Black Bear pass that leads into Ouray?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Veeeeeery interesting. I wonder if a Power Wagon will fit on those tight switchbacks on... is it Black Bear pass that leads into Ouray?
No. You do not want to take a full size anything onto Black Bear Pass, not just for the switchbacks but also some narrow spots on the trail. Black Bear pass starts south of Ouray and leads into Telluride. Then you can take roads back to Ouray, or take Imogene Pass back to Ouray. While Black Bear Pass is a one way road, Imogene can be taken in either direction.

I have pondered the idea of an H4O trip to Ouray. It can only be done in July or August as that's when all trails are open. We'd have to plan plenty in advance and try and book a block of rooms. Maybe 2022?

LagunaH1

No. You do not want to take a full size anything onto Black Bear Pass, not just for the switchbacks but also some narrow spots on the trail. Black Bear pass starts south of Ouray and leads into Telluride. Then you can take roads back to Ouray, or take Imogene Pass back to Ouray. While Black Bear Pass is a one way road, Imogene can be taken in either direction.

I have pondered the idea of an H4O trip to Ouray. It can only be done in July or August as that's when all trails are open. We'd have to plan plenty in advance and try and book a block of rooms. Maybe 2022?

It could be a pretty awesome H4O event. I’m interested for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MilamJR

Would an H2 be too big?

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Cuz, you see.... H2's are not full size :giggle:
You jumped on that even faster than I thought you would! I think an H2 could hug the inside wall better than a pickup, moving it over an inch or two. Shorter wheelbase would also help.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
What about an H3T with a longer wheelbase? Sounds like a fun trip to me.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

jakesz28

I watched a you tube video of a stock F150 extended cab doing black bear pass. So I don't think a full size is out of question. But at the same time the switch backs is what has me the most worried in the ZR2.