• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

A day at the range

LagunaH1

So, today I made my way up to Burro Canyon rifle range. After about 20 rounds, my right shoulder hates me LOL. I really need to work on my bench rest position. I feel like I am far too close to the scope, for such a high powered rifle. It kicks like bleep.

At first, I couldn't tell where my shots impacted. Then, during the first line break I found out. I had pretty much shot out one of the target frame's 2 PVC pipe supports. When everyone were done laughing, they started helping and coaching. Really good bunch of guys and everyone was friendly and helpful.

Later, after the 2nd line break, I started shooting too low and made a huge mess out of the target itself by all the debris the rounds kicked up.

I certainly have a LOT to learn, but heck, as long as I'm having fun learning then it's all good.

MilamJR

Glad you enjoyed yourself. As long as you are safe and humble enough to take coaching I think you will find most people at the range are more than willing to help you. Keep working on it shooting is a perishable skill so practice, practice, practice. But with current ammo prices might have to take out a second mortgage.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

LagunaH1

I am very happy to take coaching. I am going to see if I can find a club where I can learn from those who’ve done this longer than I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fanugy

How far are you from Vegas? I have some free memberships to Front Sight. 3 day pistol (when breaking the 5-day course into two) is pretty good starter- of course they have rifle and shotgun classes as well…

LagunaH1

Vegas is a bit of a drive at, say, 4 - 5 hours each way unfortunately. I've heard very good things about Front Sight, and kinda wish they had a location in or near Orange County.

MilamJR

Unfortunately for you it is likely that you will have to go to another state for high level classes such as what Frontsite can offer because CA is so hostile towards anything firearms.

LagunaH1

Unfortunately for you it is likely that you will have to go to another state for high level classes such as what Frontsite can offer because CA is so hostile towards anything firearms.

As Metallica once said:

“Sad but true”

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Front Site is outside of Pahrump. It is another hour plus North of Vegas. Great place. You need to buy a 6.5 Creedmoor to learn on. It will be much kinder to your shoulder.