• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

NEW (to me) 09 Alpha Adventure 57K Miles

rtrevino

Probationary Member
Hello Everyone

I bought this H3 to replace my jeep build. and as a first maintenace befoe going offroad I always change every fluid. So my question is this

I now know that Hummers like 5w30 sytntehic oil.

what are yo using for the Automatic transmission, transfer case and differentials?

Thanks!

JPaul

Transmission and transfer case both use Dexron VI, any brand is fine, I just use Valvoline from Walmart.

Diffs use synthetic 75w-90, brand doesn't matter much to be honest. Super Tech from Walmart works just fine.

Some people will shell out the extra coin for premium brands, but in all honesty if you're maintaining them correctly you'll be switching out the fluids often enough that it won't matter, especially if you're offroading much. Better to go with a decent inexpensive synthetic and change it more often than trying to squeeze a ton of life out of something you had to pay 4x as much for.

08H3

Synthetic isn't necessary in my opinion. I used dino oil for years with no problem. Synthetic became nearly as cheap so I switched to that. Walmart has Chevron dino oil on clearance, so now I'm back to that. As long as it's Dexos or meets 6094M, I think you're good. Not really a need to change diff fluid that often, even with off-road use. Still, Walmart oil should be fine. Of course all this is my opinion so take it at face value, but I've gotten a decent number of miles out of my H3 so far following it. That's a pretty good find with that few miles.