• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Moab deaths

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
It can be a dangerous place. We've been lucky so far - I think the worst we've been dealt is F5's broken wrist on Lockhorn.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brought my two Jeep trail buddies down safe and sound this year. Moab Rim is my favorite trail but you have to respect it and drive accordingly, especially on the way down.

LagunaH1

Yikes. Not that this REALLY matter either way, but I can't help but wonder what the mechanical issue was, if any. Unrelated to this tragic incident, but related to Moab Rim, I recent watched a video where a driver was coming up devil's crack, needed to reposition for a better line and then forgot they were in reverse when it was time to drive forward again. They stepped on the gas while in reverse. The video made it look like they were REALLY close to going backwards over the edge.

Edit: Link to the video I am referring to above: https://youtu.be/4_WBCWUh8xk?t=92

Last edited:

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Inexperienced driver's don't need to be on Moab Rim unless they are with people that really know the trail and what they are doing.

Zach

Mall Crawler
That trail is tough. Looks easy, but very technical. I love it. 06 H3 was close to rolling on the way down when I drove your H1 out. Bad spotting

EndeavoredH3

We did the first portion of Moab Rim during the hummer club event last week. Our H1 broke a half shaft on devils crack (We suspect it was already weakend from the way it broke on the splines). But that trail is no joke, I would be very uncomfortable doing that trail unless I had experienced people with us. The views are great over the river.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moab Rim is my favorite trail in Moab. Scorpion or H1 it is always fun. I do it every trip. Lots of challenging obstacles packed into a short trail. Small groups are best. Take 4-5 vehicles, hit the trail at 9:00 AM and you can get to the top, get down and eat lunch at Milts. In approximately 20 trips on the trail we have only had a couple of vehicles break something.