• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Pic Request - Torsion lift WITH Add a leaf and Extended Shackles

fowlken8

Does anyone have a picture of their or someone else's truck that's been leveled up front...but also lifted in the rear with an add-a-leaf and extended shackles?

I know the point of leveling the truck is to make it.....level, but I like the "raked" look and just appreciate more height overall.

bebe

SOA before.after.stock.jpg

Top pic - GM Rendering
Center Pic - SOA and torsion bar lift
Bottom Pic - Torsion bar lift, extended shackes with Sway away Spring helpers

Last edited:

fowlken8

Thank you so much for the thorough post.

My previous H3 had an SAS and I did the SOA on it. It looked massive compared to the center pic, but I had 37s.

What size of tires do these have? I have 35s.

I'm very confused by my H3. The previous owner said it had a suspension lift, but I didn't believe it. I park by other stock H3s and I'm much higher. My crossmember does not have Rancho or Rough Country on it. Looks stock. But what do I know?

I figured if I did another SOA, I'd look like a stink bug!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
They probably put torsion bar keys on it - that's what many refer to as a suspension bar lift. You should measure the height from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender and let us know what that is. Maybe also take a picture of the H3 from the front, featuring the underside, so we can see the angles of the CV axles and the steering rack.

JPaul

Yep, that's stock. You're also missing both of the skid plates for the front. If you're going to take that offroad you'll want to get some on there before you do.

If you measured out 26" from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender then that is too high for stock. Recommendation is 23.5". Much more than that and you start risking busting CV axles due to the extreme angles they'll always be running at. I can't recall what the stock height is but generally everyone does 23.5" tops. I think the factory level puts the CV's at a slight angle above perfectly inline. The less running angle you have with a CV the longer it will last and the stronger it is.

fowlken8

Absolutely. I am familiar with the 23.5 inch rule and was confused by mine. It’s a weird height. Looks like it’s lifted....but not quite

bebe

Those CV angles are going to get you in trouble. Waaaay too high! Can we see your rear suspension too?

Last edited:

bebe

Fresh pic of the BebeMonster, 6" lift in the front, 14 bolt Semifloat (H2 rear axle) spring over with 1 added main leaf.

Attachments

• PerMoab 2021.jpg
    PerMoab 2021.jpg
    842.4 KB · Views: 303

fowlken8

Rear suspension is bone stock. Spring UNDER axle. I currently have extended shackles. I didn't install them, the previous owner did. Stock springs, hangars, shocks.

I love the look of your H3. Always have.

Like I usually do, I was just under the truck looking for leaks, or wear 'n tear and I discovered my passenger side CV boot has a tear in it where it connects to the diff. GREAT. Looks like auto zone has a new cv axle for $52. Looks like I have a project to complete.

JPaul

Rear suspension is bone stock. Spring UNDER axle. I currently have extended shackles. I didn't install them, the previous owner did. Stock springs, hangars, shocks.

I love the look of your H3. Always have.

Like I usually do, I was just under the truck looking for leaks, or wear 'n tear and I discovered my passenger side CV boot has a tear in it where it connects to the diff. GREAT. Looks like auto zone has a new cv axle for $52. Looks like I have a project to complete.

You'll likely regret it if you go with that cheap of an axle. Some do OK on the reman's and Cardones, but I (and numerous others) prefer to stick with the OEM axle. We drive heavy vehicles, a cheap axle isn't going to do well with that kind of strain. It's fine for a limp home bandaid but if you have the time to wait you can order an OEM axle from RockAuto or Amazon for about $260-$280. Bit pricey but it's worth it. Then if it's just the boot being torn you can probably find a shop nearby that can put a new boot on for you for not too much money. You'll have a good spare axle then.

JPaul

And that tear is likely due to running such high angles on the front with it cranked up to 26". I would get that back down ASAP if I were you. It's easy enough to do, just have to loosen up the adjustment bolts at the back of the torsion bars in the crossmember. Loosen them up several turns and then drive the vehicle forward and back to allow the suspension to re-settle and check the measurement. Adjust as needed until you're at no more than 23.5"

fowlken8

understood. I do not wheel AT ALL, but know cv angles are important. It is just the boot. Is that easily fixable? I'll do it myself! There was only one option locally and the $52 seemed easy.

WANNAVEE

Wanavee is cranked to 23.5 in front and has Shwarttzy 1.25" lift shackles in the rear (on original leafs), so it sort-of keeps the stock rake, just a bit higher. I would much prefer a level stance to the rake, but I also added his high-clearance rear shock mounts and I also wanted as much total clearance as I could reasonably get (without serious $$$) so 1.25" higher in the rear it is. When I'm loaded down with my wheeling/camping gear it's a bit closer to level.
For my use, the front suspension is the biggest limitation of the whole vehicle, clearance being the #1 issue. If I could just get 2 more inches of height in the front, the total vehicle performance would be nicely balanced in every way. (Queue the whining about the long discontinued Rancho kit).

Gw5Q2gm.jpg

Always love seeing pics of the BebeMonster. Definitely one of my all-time favorite Hummers. Wish I had that setup!!!

WANNAVEE

Here it is loaded down with several hundred lbs of gear.

Attachments

• 20201001_170748resize.jpg
    20201001_170748resize.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 185

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
It's not just CVs that get abused with torsion bars cranked too high. The inner tie rods at the rack get banged up, ruining the rack with too much upward force before it pivots. Street driving will ruin those parts too, it's just that it happens faster with off road use.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Gpcalero

Wanavee is cranked to 23.5 in front and has Shwarttzy 1.25" lift shackles in the rear (on original leafs), so it sort-of keeps the stock rake, just a bit higher. I would much prefer a level stance to the rake, but I also added his high-clearance rear shock mounts and I also wanted as much total clearance as I could reasonably get (without serious $$$) so 1.25" higher in the rear it is. When I'm loaded down with my wheeling/camping gear it's a bit closer to level.
For my use, the front suspension is the biggest limitation of the whole vehicle, clearance being the #1 issue. If I could just get 2 more inches of height in the front, the total vehicle performance would be nicely balanced in every way. (Queue the whining about the long discontinued Rancho kit).

Gw5Q2gm.jpg

Always love seeing pics of the BebeMonster. Definitely one of my all-time favorite Hummers. Wish I had that setup!!!

Keep whining, I'll join in. Even with the Rancho I want to go higher lol :giggle:

WANNAVEE

Keep whining, I'll join in. Even with the Rancho I want to go higher lol :giggle:

LOL... You could do a SAS and sell me the Rancho. :giggle:

Actually, I'm thinking heavily about selling Wanavee (back in stock silver after removing the Plasti Dip) and buying a Rubicon 4xe (plug-in hybrid) then putting Airock suspension under it. :whaa:

Gpcalero

LOL... You could do a SAS and sell me the Rancho. :giggle:

Actually, I'm thinking heavily about selling Wanavee (back in stock silver after removing the Plasti Dip) and buying a Rubicon 4xe (plug-in hybrid) then putting Airock suspension under it. :whaa:

You okay?

:poke: