Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
    Low Profile
    Thanks

Is the H3 alpha worth looking at in 2021?

Hey all! I've been looking to get back into an H3 and recently found a deal on an alpha with reasonable miles for vehicle over 10 years old. My questions are: what issues have the v8 version had? (If any), are aftermarket parts still being made so that I can make it my own if I purchase? What else should I be looking out for on the alpha? I'm vary familiar with the I5, just not the v8 version.

Alpha owners, please chime in .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,104 Posts
    The 5.3 runs a little hotter than some engines but it runs that way by design. 5.3 is a really good motor imo. Just noticed my cap lock is on. I am not re-doing this. Lol aftermarket parts are not as plentiful as many would like but ebay and craig's list are your friend.
    1998 H1 Open Top
    1994 H1 HMC4
    1992 H1 HMC4 LE
    1990 1025 Armament Carrier

KJ6JCC

BlackSheep Hummer Squadron, H1 PsychoSquad

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 3Hummers For This Useful Post:

persius1 (03-22-2021)

"Like Nothing Else"
    Thanks
    I think the motor is what people have the least trouble with. The front suspension and diff will probably need to have bushings and bearings replaced.

As far as aftermarket goes, there are still a few companies. Bumper choices are limited though.

schwarttzy hummer
    outfitter design
    thorparts
    Michigan metal works
    Lased design
    Gobi racks
    Front runner

Will give you an idea of what is available out there.

You can still find some interior and body parts new out there as well, ebay and craigslist are your friend for most of that.
    -2009 H3 Alpha/Adv||SAS/SOA
    -2008 H3 Alpha-RIP

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cgalpha08 For This Useful Post:

persius1 (03-22-2021)

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by persius1 View Post
    Hey all! I've been looking to get back into an H3 and recently found a deal on an alpha with reasonable miles for vehicle over 10 years old. My questions are: what issues have the v8 version had? (If any), are aftermarket parts still being made so that I can make it my own if I purchase? What else should I be looking out for on the alpha? I'm vary familiar with the I5, just not the v8 version.

Alpha owners, please chime in .

Honestly, I would only look for an Alpha if you had a choice. Like others have said, the 5.3 V8 is a great motor, they generally last a long time. And if not, you can find them very easily since they built so many and are used in many different vehicles.

To answer your question, there is a LOT of aftermarket support and parts on the 5.3... not so much on the 5-cylinder engines. The extra power & torque over the 5-cyl alone is worth it when upgrading to larger tires. Non-Alphas use a unique input shaft, as opposed to the Alpha which uses the standard V8 input shaft shared with much of the other Vortec/LS motor - 4L60E family, so there are a few more things you can do to the transmission. Vortec 5.3 shares LS family architecture, so many of the parts are interchangeable.

As for aftermarket parts for the H3 in general... not as much as a lot of us would like it to be.
    @Gpcalero ē Instagram photos and videos

>>The Duke H3T Alpha Build Thread<<

'09 Hummer H3T Alpha - "The Duke"

- Rancho 4" Lift Kit, Texas Speed 212/218 111 LSA Camshaft, ECP 2" Aluminum Radiator, SuperModulation Dual eFans, HID Projector Headlights, 32 Gallon Auxiliary Gas Tank, Matte Black "312" Method Race Wheels, Firestone Rear Airbags, LS3 Swap in Progress...

SOLD --- '09 White H3 - "Lil' Sparta"
    - 295/75/18 Trail Grapplers, STARR HIDs, LED taillights, Magnaflow Exhaust, Air Doc CAI, Supermodulation TB, Defenderworx Fuel Door.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gpcalero For This Useful Post:

persius1 (03-22-2021)

Street Tire
    West valley, Phoenix AZ (escaped from wacky Madison WI)
    Thanks
    The 5.3 is a great motor. In the H3 it is an aluminum block with aluminum heads so not much heavier than 3.7. Pickups usually all have cast iron blocks and aluminum heads. Things that usually go wrong with 5.3 are: oil pan gasket leaks. Real common on all these V-8s. Always always always replace oil pump pickup tube o ring when you reseal oil pan gasket. Not hard to do once you drop out front diff. These engines like to pop their exhaust manifold bolts. Usually the left rear and right front. I install the ARP bolts to fix. Every one Iíve fixed was easily extracted with a vise grip after manifold was removed. The head pops off bolt and leaves a stub sticking out . There are also these brackets available that mount on back of head and use a bolt to push manifold tight against head to reseal . You donít remove broken bolt then . Dorman has them on a rock auto. Motor mounts rarely fail but are dealer only . I replaced mine when I did my solid axle swap because they had 165K and was very easy to do then. Took dealer a while to get as there were only 3 sets available in the USA. Rock lists them but they are genuine GM and were unavailable then.
    Lots of potential horsepower in a 5.3 and retain reliability.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Reloader For This Useful Post:

persius1 (03-23-2021)

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cgalpha08 View Post
    I think the motor is what people have the least trouble with. The front suspension and diff will probably need to have bushings and bearings replaced.

As far as aftermarket goes, there are still a few companies. Bumper choices are limited though.

schwarttzy hummer
    outfitter design
    thorparts
    Michigan metal works
    Lased design
    Gobi racks
    Front runner

Will give you an idea of what is available out there.

You can still find some interior and body parts new out there as well, ebay and craigslist are your friend for most of that.
    All aftermarket companies are ones I remember from my previous H3

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reloader View Post
    The 5.3 is a great motor. In the H3 it is an aluminum block with aluminum heads so not much heavier than 3.7. Pickups usually all have cast iron blocks and aluminum heads. Things that usually go wrong with 5.3 are: oil pan gasket leaks. Real common on all these V-8s. Always always always replace oil pump pickup tube o ring when you reseal oil pan gasket. Not hard to do once you drop out front diff. These engines like to pop their exhaust manifold bolts. Usually the left rear and right front. I install the ARP bolts to fix. Every one Iíve fixed was easily extracted with a vise grip after manifold was removed. The head pops off bolt and leaves a stub sticking out . There are also these brackets available that mount on back of head and use a bolt to push manifold tight against head to reseal . You donít remove broken bolt then . Dorman has them on a rock auto. Motor mounts rarely fail but are dealer only . I replaced mine when I did my solid axle swap because they had 165K and was very easy to do then. Took dealer a while to get as there were only 3 sets available in the USA. Rock lists them but they are genuine GM and were unavailable then.
    Lots of potential horsepower in a 5.3 and retain reliability.
    The alpha I found has close to 80k on the odometer so I wonder if those bolts bust at a certain age or temp. Thanks for the info. I'll know exactly what to look for once I see and inspect.

Baja
    Thanks
    Honestly, no. IMHO
    Hummers are getting old and high mileage, age and general neglect are sure to be a concern.
    If you're not handy, inventive and creative at problem solving it's going to get very expensive lol.
    Plus my gosh other vehicles could be had for less dollars and lower milage better shape.

Chevy Suburban (v8)
    Ford expedition
    Older Chevy trail blazer
    Nissan exttera
    Most come with v6, v8,v10 or diesel

I've done some looking and the Suburban is pretty decent. I'm talking same build time frame as Hummers. You get a v8, wide selection and they still have a aftermarket parts following.
    Crazy , I know. Hummers can't get no love but all these vehicles I listed still get love and a following. Haha! IMO

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Hummer For This Useful Post:

persius1 (03-25-2021)

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Probably because far more of them have been built than the H3's and they were/are more mainstream than a specialty vehicle like the H3. Only reason the FJ Cruiser still has anything going for it is the mere fact that it's a Toyota.
    2008 H3 Alpha

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - General John Stark

N1JPA

Low Profile
    Thanks
    I'm wondering the same thing as the title of this thread, but from the other side. I'm considering selling WANAVEE (2009 Championship Edition with 115k miles). I should post a feeler thread in the for sale forum, but it seems pretty dead these days.

Baja
    Thanks
    I've toyed with the same thought as of late. 07 H3 with 83K in really well kept condition. It seems as though I'm a glut on for punishment lol. Because I just keep Luv 'n my Hummer and it almost always is harder to repair at a fair price and don't even get me started on products for the brand. A door switch will cost $12 for a basic brand but put H3 IN front of it and the same type of switch will be $200.

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    I think one thing you will need to go over is the wiring harness on something 10+ years old. Has a few potential rub spots that show up with age. Off roader that can be put in more flex conditions even more so than a street only truck. Probly has something to do with manifold bolts too. At 80K thats pretty good on desirable factor if well taken of.