• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Is the H3 alpha worth looking at in 2021?

persius1

Hey all! I've been looking to get back into an H3 and recently found a deal on an alpha with reasonable miles for vehicle over 10 years old. My questions are: what issues have the v8 version had? (If any), are aftermarket parts still being made so that I can make it my own if I purchase? What else should I be looking out for on the alpha? I'm vary familiar with the I5, just not the v8 version.

Alpha owners, please chime in [emoji16].

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 5.3 runs a little hotter than some engines but it runs that way by design. 5.3 is a really good motor imo. Just noticed my cap lock is on. I am not re-doing this. Lol aftermarket parts are not as plentiful as many would like but ebay and craig's list are your friend.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I think the motor is what people have the least trouble with. The front suspension and diff will probably need to have bushings and bearings replaced.

As far as aftermarket goes, there are still a few companies. Bumper choices are limited though.

schwarttzy hummer
outfitter design
thorparts
Michigan metal works
Lased design
Gobi racks
Front runner

Will give you an idea of what is available out there.

You can still find some interior and body parts new out there as well, ebay and craigslist are your friend for most of that.

Gpcalero

Hey all! I've been looking to get back into an H3 and recently found a deal on an alpha with reasonable miles for vehicle over 10 years old. My questions are: what issues have the v8 version had? (If any), are aftermarket parts still being made so that I can make it my own if I purchase? What else should I be looking out for on the alpha? I'm vary familiar with the I5, just not the v8 version.

Alpha owners, please chime in [emoji16].

Honestly, I would only look for an Alpha if you had a choice. Like others have said, the 5.3 V8 is a great motor, they generally last a long time. And if not, you can find them very easily since they built so many and are used in many different vehicles.

To answer your question, there is a LOT of aftermarket support and parts on the 5.3... not so much on the 5-cylinder engines. The extra power & torque over the 5-cyl alone is worth it when upgrading to larger tires. Non-Alphas use a unique input shaft, as opposed to the Alpha which uses the standard V8 input shaft shared with much of the other Vortec/LS motor - 4L60E family, so there are a few more things you can do to the transmission. Vortec 5.3 shares LS family architecture, so many of the parts are interchangeable.

As for aftermarket parts for the H3 in general... not as much as a lot of us would like it to be.

Reloader

The 5.3 is a great motor. In the H3 it is an aluminum block with aluminum heads so not much heavier than 3.7. Pickups usually all have cast iron blocks and aluminum heads. Things that usually go wrong with 5.3 are: oil pan gasket leaks. Real common on all these V-8s. Always always always replace oil pump pickup tube o ring when you reseal oil pan gasket. Not hard to do once you drop out front diff. These engines like to pop their exhaust manifold bolts. Usually the left rear and right front. I install the ARP bolts to fix. Every one I’ve fixed was easily extracted with a vise grip after manifold was removed. The head pops off bolt and leaves a stub sticking out . There are also these brackets available that mount on back of head and use a bolt to push manifold tight against head to reseal . You don’t remove broken bolt then . Dorman has them on a rock auto. Motor mounts rarely fail but are dealer only . I replaced mine when I did my solid axle swap because they had 165K and was very easy to do then. Took dealer a while to get as there were only 3 sets available in the USA. Rock lists them but they are genuine GM and were unavailable then.
Lots of potential horsepower in a 5.3 and retain reliability.

persius1

I think the motor is what people have the least trouble with. The front suspension and diff will probably need to have bushings and bearings replaced.

As far as aftermarket goes, there are still a few companies. Bumper choices are limited though.

schwarttzy hummer
outfitter design
thorparts
Michigan metal works
Lased design
Gobi racks
Front runner

Will give you an idea of what is available out there.

You can still find some interior and body parts new out there as well, ebay and craigslist are your friend for most of that.

All aftermarket companies are ones I remember from my previous H3 [emoji1417][emoji16]

persius1

The 5.3 is a great motor. In the H3 it is an aluminum block with aluminum heads so not much heavier than 3.7. Pickups usually all have cast iron blocks and aluminum heads. Things that usually go wrong with 5.3 are: oil pan gasket leaks. Real common on all these V-8s. Always always always replace oil pump pickup tube o ring when you reseal oil pan gasket. Not hard to do once you drop out front diff. These engines like to pop their exhaust manifold bolts. Usually the left rear and right front. I install the ARP bolts to fix. Every one I’ve fixed was easily extracted with a vise grip after manifold was removed. The head pops off bolt and leaves a stub sticking out . There are also these brackets available that mount on back of head and use a bolt to push manifold tight against head to reseal . You don’t remove broken bolt then . Dorman has them on a rock auto. Motor mounts rarely fail but are dealer only . I replaced mine when I did my solid axle swap because they had 165K and was very easy to do then. Took dealer a while to get as there were only 3 sets available in the USA. Rock lists them but they are genuine GM and were unavailable then.
Lots of potential horsepower in a 5.3 and retain reliability.

The alpha I found has close to 80k on the odometer so I wonder if those bolts bust at a certain age or temp. Thanks for the info. I'll know exactly what to look for once I see and inspect.

Happy Hummer

Honestly, no. IMHO
Hummers are getting old and high mileage, age and general neglect are sure to be a concern.
If you're not handy, inventive and creative at problem solving it's going to get very expensive lol.
Plus my gosh other vehicles could be had for less dollars and lower milage better shape.

Chevy Suburban (v8)
Ford expedition
Older Chevy trail blazer
Nissan exttera
Most come with v6, v8,v10 or diesel

I've done some looking and the Suburban is pretty decent. I'm talking same build time frame as Hummers. You get a v8, wide selection and they still have a aftermarket parts following.
Crazy , I know. Hummers can't get no love but all these vehicles I listed still get love and a following. Haha! IMO

JPaul

Probably because far more of them have been built than the H3's and they were/are more mainstream than a specialty vehicle like the H3. Only reason the FJ Cruiser still has anything going for it is the mere fact that it's a Toyota.

WANNAVEE

I'm wondering the same thing as the title of this thread, but from the other side. I'm considering selling WANAVEE (2009 Championship Edition with 115k miles). I should post a feeler thread in the for sale forum, but it seems pretty dead these days.

Happy Hummer

I've toyed with the same thought as of late. 07 H3 with 83K in really well kept condition. It seems as though I'm a glut on for punishment lol. Because I just keep Luv 'n my Hummer and it almost always is harder to repair at a fair price and don't even get me started on products for the brand. A door switch will cost $12 for a basic brand but put H3 IN front of it and the same type of switch will be $200.

720H

I think one thing you will need to go over is the wiring harness on something 10+ years old. Has a few potential rub spots that show up with age. Off roader that can be put in more flex conditions even more so than a street only truck. Probly has something to do with manifold bolts too. At 80K thats pretty good on desirable factor if well taken of.