Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.

Thread: I tap out

Street Tire
    Thanks

I tap out

I love my truck, but Iím calling it quits after 10 years as an owner. Lost an oil pump a couple days ago so Iím going to replace that and move on. Probably sell most of my accessories separately of the truck. Most fun I have ever had with a vehicle, and if the next owner has better luck than I do then they will enjoy a truck thatís about 75% brand new mechanically.

I have factory U-steps, Helm 2 book repair manual set, factory roof light bar(needs rewiring), spare transfer case, roof handles, grille, grill guard, probably keep my winch. No use in including them with the truck as Iíll get no extra cash from them if I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Diablo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,546 Times in 1,794 Posts
    Bummer, but glad you had 10 good years.

Street Tire
    Thanks
    It was, I think I just had bad luck with this truck, I canít find anyone else that has consistently had as many issues as I have.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,104 Posts
    If I enjoyed a vehicle for ten years I call that a win. Whatever you get next...I doubt you will get ten years of pleasure out of.
    1998 H1 Open Top
    1994 H1 HMC4
    1992 H1 HMC4 LE
    1990 1025 Armament Carrier

KJ6JCC

BlackSheep Hummer Squadron, H1 PsychoSquad

Street Tire
    Thanks
    True, truck has easily had well over $30k in repairs in that 10 years. Thatís not a lot for some but itís more than I can stomach. I canít imagine how much it would have been if I didnít do half of the repairs with my own labor.

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    I think a lot of the fun and love for vehicles is getting something new (even if it's just new to you) and playing with it and tinkering with it. Once it becomes a money pit or a nuisance because it is breaking more often that you'd like then it loses it's draw. I could see about 5-10 years being the limit for something like that.
    2008 H3 Alpha

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - General John Stark

N1JPA

Street Tire
    Thanks

I tap out

See Iím more the type to keep vehicles long term, if the truck was even semi reliable to the point you could go 10,000 miles for less than $2,500 in repairs I would keep it.
    I literally just regeared it last May, I had every intention of keeping long term. But I suppose as I get older Iím becoming less forgiving of failures and climbing under it. Itís more fun to spend money on upgrades than it is to replace failing parts.

Itís all worse because the aftermarket is nearly non-existent, GM supports the trucks with must haves like transmission shifter cables. But damn if you break a door panel because you cannot buy a new one, and if you find an old worn and cracked used door panel in a junkyard itís going to be $1,000+. The only real aftermarket is the single Outfitter bushings product and the few items at Rubber Duck. Otherwise everything else is big name products or frilly novelties that make ya want to roll your eyes. The biggest saving grace is the LS engine, just happens to be the LQ4 is well known for oil pump failures at 175k+ miles.

Frankly the drivetrain, ignoring the failures, is one of the best ideas to paper GM has ever had. 3/4 ton running gear, able to fit 37s at factory height, full time 4WD, factory rear locker - itís a fulfilled wishlist of wants. For all that was done right on these trucks itís a a-shame that the quality just wasnít there.

Last edited by Iwillnc; 03-19-2021 at 06:17 PM.

Sir Welds a Lot
    Thanks
    Bummer your getting out.
    Bebe and i would be interested in the steps and repair manuals. PM when your ready hopefully i can afford them
    They call me
    "Bebe's On Board Mechanic"

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Iím not sure what Iíll do with parts, I donít have the heart to throw any of the stuff out (as common when you start selling parts and end up with the less desirable stuff) so likely Iíll end up doing a package deal and not break everything up. Probably take longer for me to get rid of but I know those steps are in demand which I hope will help move the rest of it.

I have to get oil pump in truck, hopefully that goes smoothly, but I doubt it.
    I need to get a local shop to tune out the air suspension warning since Iím running springs
    And I need throw the old tube steps back on it, because no one wants those suckers.

All Terrain
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear this. I don't know anyone that has had as much bad luck as you with that rig. Since you like the H2 why don't you sell this one and find another one? Doubt you could do worse.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MilamJR View Post
    Sorry to hear this. I don't know anyone that has had as much bad luck as you with that rig. Since you like the H2 why don't you sell this one and find another one? Doubt you could do worse.

I considered that but I canít subject myself to another round. Fool me once and all. I would always be waiting for the next failure even on a different truck.
    Iíll feel better getting away into something that doesnít remind me of the anxiety of taking this truck across state.

Iíve always been optimistic that Iíll fix this one new thing and then Iíll be good at least for a long while, I fix that and immediately something else goes wrong. Itís exhausting keeping up with this truck.

All Terrain
    Thanks
    I would probably feel the same way. Thanks for all of your help.