• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Name this road

LagunaH1

Hi everyone,

I am trying to research a possible route from south to north through the Mojave National Preserve, then further north towards Death Valley. I've made good progress, and have found a dirt road / track through the desert, which I'd like to include in my route

If you plug the following coordinates in to Google Earth / Google Maps, you will find the southern end of the unnamed track I am curious about: 35.02235090781628, -115.63628613997612

If the imagery in Google is somewhat recent, then it seems passable. Does anyone have any suggestions on good online resources to find information about this?

Thanks

rascole

Looks like it is a powerline service road. I have been in that area a few times and there are smaller pole lines with access roads. Post up you plans when you are done, I have never done a North/South trip before, usually East/West. Here is a website that I like to use, has some good info on it. https://caltopo.com/m/2E26

LagunaH1

As best I can tell, it doesn’t have any name. It appears on BLM maps of the area and I have heard from folks who have driven it recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurt

I think that goes to the site of the old defunct "Mojave Phone Both" which was an early, 1990's internet legend and featured in X-files. ...

Actually I cross referenced it, yes I was on that road back in... I would say 2013? I was returning from Las Vegas and got off I-15 onto Cima Road then took Valley View Ranch Road [which is on BLM land but has a private ranch residence there, I drove slowly in the H1 and waved at the couple who came out and waved back], then kept going west on Aiken Mine road Until I hit the road you are referring to. I did exit south on that road to head towards I-40. It does go up to Water Tank #2 north of Rainbow Wells [the little loop/intersection bend north of the water tank on Google maps was the location of the mojave phone booth once upon a time.

9641298372_64f2b3e982_k.jpg

As for past that, in theory it goes back to Cima Road near I-15 intersection but I went the opposite direction. Easy on any vehicle with decent ground clearance.