• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

First rifle?

LagunaH1

One of the biggest realizations I have come to, after having bought my first firearm, is that I *really* enjoy precision shooting.

So, I am thinking about getting a rifle since those are, I think, FAR more accurate than any handgun would ever be. Question is:

What to get?

Since I am such a n00b, I tend to think that I probably should just get something simple, learn how to shoot it accurately, and then go from there. To that end, I have been looking at the Springfield M1A. What do you guys think? Is that a good place to start?

Last edited:

deserth3

Yes. I think the M1A is a good place to start. I don't own one. But have always had one on my wish list.
I also like my M1 Carbine.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

MilamJR

One of the biggest realizations I have come to, after having bought my first firearm, is that I *really* enjoy precision shooting.

So, I am thinking about getting a rifle since those are, I think, FAR more accurate than any handgun would ever be. Question is:

What to get?

Since I am such a n00b, I tend to think that I probably should just get something simple, learn how to shoot it accurately, and then go from there. To that end, I have been looking at the Springfield M1A. What do you guys think? Is that a good place to start?
The Civilian Marksmanship Program has a shop that refurbishes M1's and sells them. You get a great gun and a piece of history.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

JPaul

An M1 Garand.

Blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, PING! :)

I was deeply bothered when I learned my dad used to have one and then sold it not long before I got into guns myself.

Korby7

I've also been looking at getting into long range with some guys at work. One guy's got a Bergara HMR Pro 7mm Rem Mag that he's got sighted at 1000yds but at over $3k for the setup, my wife would murder me in my sleep. Actually, I don't think she'd even wait for me to get to sleep. Is $3k a price range one should expect for a good long range setup?

MilamJR

I've also been looking at getting into long range with some guys at work. One guy's got a Bergara HMR Pro 7mm Rem Mag that he's got sighted at 1000yds but at over $3k for the setup, my wife would murder me in my sleep. Actually, I don't think she'd even wait for me to get to sleep. Is $3k a price range one should expect for a good long range setup?
Optics to shoot out to 1,000 yds is not going to be cheap. That is probably the minimum budget for new. You might can find something on gun broker used for less if you are patient.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member

That is a pretty good starting place. Also look at the Bergara B-14 HMR for a similarly priced precision rifle. It is a little heavier but is a great long range rifle for the money. I have the Bergara, a Ruger Precision Rifle, a Mossberg MVP, a Savage AXIS II and a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor. The Bergara and RPR are really good, the Mossberg and Savage are pretty good. The Ruger American is a plinker. Good glass will likely start around $1800.00 and you can spend 3-4K if you want to get really serious. If you want to get really serious on long range shooting you move up into the Accuracy International type rifles. They Bergara is a good for hunting and precision work but better for precision since it is a little heavier. The Bergara B-14 BMP might be another one to look at for just precision shooting. The good thing is that with the rise in popularity of long range precision shooting there are lots of good choices out there and prices have gotten much more reasonable. I have a Pulsar Thermion XP-50 on order to move back an forth between an AR-10 that I built and the Bergara for Coyote and wild pig control.
A sticking point is that ammo, in almost any caliber has become difficult to find at reasonable prices. You can find it, but at put behind glass and look at it prices. I got an e-mail from Midway that they had 1000 round cases of IMI 9mm ammo, $1199.00/1000 round case. $1.20 a round for 18-20 cent ammo. I load most of my own ammo but if you don't already have the brass, primers, powder and bullets you are out of luck there too, unless you want to pay 3,4 -10 times what the stuff should sell for. If you get deep into precision shooting you will gravitate to loading your own rounds. Playing with OAL, powder weights, etc. will allow you to get the most out of your rifle. Like most hobbies it consumes time and money but it allows you to compete with yourself and others, go at your own rate and more importantly spend at your own rate.

LagunaH1

I ended up getting a Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed .300 Win Mag and a somewhat decent Vortex Viper PSTII scope. When I say "getting" that's a bit of a stretch. I paid for it, and now comes the 10 day waiting period. Grumble.

Anyways: I am REALLY looking forward to getting to know the rifle. I am busy watching Youtube videos on how to sight it properly at a range. Maybe we can find time to go shoot when we are in Moab

Last edited:

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a 300 Win Mag in a Savage. Decent gun but not top of the line. Bought it with a mediocre scope and haven't changed it out yet. But it was a "deal" so I bought it. Browning makes good rifles. Vortex makes pretty decent scopes, certainly good value scopes. That should be enough to get you into the activity without breaking the bank. Hopefully they sold you some ammo with the rifle. Al is the most knowledgeable shooter on the forum, unless there is someone else I don't know about. You might bounce some questions/ideas off of him.

LagunaH1

Yep, the goal was to get a good setup, but nothing too sophisticated or complex since i am so new to it all.

I have found 2 stores locally who claim to have .300 win Mag ammo but holy CRAP it's expensive. 20 rounds are between 90 and 105 dollars.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. The 300WM will reach out and touch someone a long way away but it is not a cheap round. Comes with a little kick also compared to some other rounds. Practice will get expensive. 308 is a good starter round. Pretty common, lots of choices, not much recoil and a box can run from the low 20s to high $30s/box.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mikkel I am going to make an expensive suggestion. Consider buying something in 6.5 Creedmoor or 308. You can use your Vortex scope but I think ammo will be considerably cheaper, probably easier to find and the gun will be more enjoyable to shoot for longer training sessions and matches. You can then work up into the 300 WM. 308 has been used in 1000 yard matches forever and 6.5 Creedmoor is the new hot round and it easily does the 1000 yards. I load both 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor but both have lots of really good match rounds to choose from right off of the shelf. I know it will mean another $800-1000 dollars invested into a gun but I think you will determine that it was money well spent.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
No worries. I never have an issue suggesting someone purchase another firearm. :) In this case I think it will make your transition into precision shooting more fun.

LagunaH1

Applies to any firearm, sadly.

I like California a lot, but this is one area where things are just too draconian and over regulated. In my ever so humble opinion, of course :)

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
My issues with California include over regulation on many, many facets of peoples lives, high taxes, high cost of living for an ever declining quality of life, traffic, over regulation again because it can't be overstated and politics. California has the goofiest politics in the country.

LagunaH1

I hear you. I do still like the weather and the friends I have here

Cost of living, and traffic are both rather ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LagunaH1

Here it is, finally brought it home the other day after the $#@$@# 10 day waiting period:

I'm absorbing as much knowledge as I can about how to properly place the scope, and then bore sight it. Once that's done, it will be time for a trip to the range to zero in the rifle at 100 yards.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Usually they will bore sight the rifle for you. What rings did you get? Once you have the rings and mount where you want them be sure to use Lock-tite on the screws.

LagunaH1

Usually they will bore sight the rifle for you. What rings did you get? Once you have the rings and mount where you want them be sure to use Lock-tite on the screws.

Yeah, they did have signs in the store about that, but I got impatient and wanted to get out of there. Kind people in that store, but everything seems to move at a tectonic pace.

I got Browning's own rings. I also got a 300 WM cartridge with a laser inside, thinking that I could bore sight the optic myself.