• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Speedy and Bebe's Kitchen Build

bebe

That is coming from Connecticut :roll:. It will be a fire rated 4" on center Beadboard. Should be here soon!

JPaul

I'd love to have a nice Hoosier cabinet. My mom had one in the basement for as long as I can remember, but I think it was sold when we moved from NH. She has another one but she is selling it and I don't have $2k to pay her for it. Those things are not cheap. Might just have to build one for myself.

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had to GTS (Google That ****) Hoosier cabinet.
Never heard of one before.
Cool/interesting looking piece of furniture.

bebe

hoosier cabinet.jpg

This is Speedy's Mom's cabinet. It's being painted white and will have a fitted matching granite top instead of the enamel one.

You can find them between 800-1000 if you look for them.

They were actual Kitchen cabinets back in the 20's-30's. Several companies made them, but Hoosier was the most popular.

Hoosier_5F00_lead.jpg

JPaul

Oh man, that is a nice looking one. Usually the ones I see are in far worse shape and they still ask a ton for them. It's your baby but I'd leave it the natural finish. The house we bought just over a year ago is from 1983 and it had oak cabinets in the kitchen but the previous owner "remodeled" and painted them all white. He was trying to go for the farmhouse style look. He didn't do a very good job once you started looking at the details. One of the very first things we did was take out the super cheap (and apparently oddly sized) gas cooktop and the range hood and replaced them with better versions. The cooktop he put in was apparently undersized for the mounting and I had to cut an extra inch towards the back to get the new one to fit. First time I ever had to try cutting granite. The cooktop he put in was a 5 burner but that was pointless since all you could ever have on there at any given time was 2 pots unless you used really small pots. Like 5 inches max. I put in a 4 burner instead that I can actually use all 4 burners at the same time.

The range hood was an absolute joke. He simply took the doors off the cabinet above the range, left the cheap crappy recirculating range hood in place, cut a hole in the top of it and ran a 3 inch vent through to the top of the cabinets and let it vent out the top of the cabinet and then built a cover for the whole thing. It looked OK at first glance but once I got in there I realized it was just putting lipstick on a pig. I have a nicer hood in there now but I need to make a cover for where the cabinet used to be. Eventually I want to run ducting to the outside so that it can vent outside instead of recirculating in the kitchen.

JPaul

It is. That was the least of my worries. The first year of owning this place has been ridiculous, especially for how much we paid for the place (almost $500K for 4200sqft and 2 acres in the county). The worst part with that guy is it wasn't just Joe Schmo Homeowner. He ran a "business" as a (unlicensed) contractor and did finish work and remodels for other people. He re-routed the water pipes for the master bath into the exterior wall (those froze the first winter, fortunately they didn't burst), never had the septic pumped (with a ton of kids on a almost 40 year old tank) so that got clogged and back-flowed into the basement (insurance covered that fortunately), ignored the roof that was so close to leaking I'm amazed it wasn't already, sprinklers for the lawn had never been adjusted and weren't blown out properly (discovered a busted valve in the spring), barn door header is all but rotted away long with the floor of the loft, the list goes on and on and on. They were more concerned about "remodeling" the inside that they didn't take the time to fix all the important issues first.

I'm slowly getting on top of all the neglected items. Had the roof re-shingled last year (though I wish I had gone for metal roofing instead of asphalt now), fixed the pipes for the master bath, cleaned up the property, fixed and tuned the sprinklers, etc. Still a ton left to be done but I'm over the worst of it now. This year I really need to get the barn door and loft fixed before it gets any worse than it is. I also have a tractor finally (just an old Japanese import from the early 70's, but it has a loader!) so I'll be able to get more work done around the property with fixing fences and hopefully better managing the garden (just under 1/4 acre). Looking back I wish I had done a walk around video and/or pictures to show the state the place was in when we first moved in. I've really done quite a lot to it already in just a year. It looks so much better now.