• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

lift vs torsion height differences?

fowlken8

There are so many threads to sift through and I bet this was discussed 10 years ago with fender measurements, etc but I couldn't easily find any answers to this specific question.

Is there a big or even truly noticeable height difference between cranking the Tbars/extended rear shackles/add-a-leaf and the 4" kit?

I see some H3s with Rancho kits and they don't look HUGE. I see some H3s on 35s with a crank and lifted rear end and it looks the same size?

JPaul

Looking at photos vs seeing it in person, as well as seeing a Rancho lifted H3 vs a cranked H3 parked side by side, is a big difference. Plus if the guy running a Rancho hasn't cranked their torsion bars on top of the lift it won't look as big of a difference, the Rancho allows you to have a lift while keeping the CV angles stock which helps promote longevity of the axles.

Gpcalero

There are so many threads to sift through and I bet this was discussed 10 years ago with fender measurements, etc but I couldn't easily find any answers to this specific question.

Is there a big or even truly noticeable height difference between cranking the Tbars/extended rear shackles/add-a-leaf and the 4" kit?

I see some H3s with Rancho kits and they don't look HUGE. I see some H3s on 35s with a crank and lifted rear end and it looks the same size?

There is definitely a difference. Like JPaul said, some guys running the Rancho kit may not look all too high because they may not have their T Bars cranked up.

If you look at a Rancho H3 at the highest "safe" torsion crank and compare to a 35's with highest "safe" crank, you'll see what we're talking about.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
A "normal" torsion bar adjustment is about 1"-1.5", though it's possible to go over 2 or more. I have modified my rear leafs to give me 1.5" added height. As mentioned, a Rancho is 4", so you do have a big difference.

The goal keeping your H3 running is to have both the CV axles and the steering tie rods close to level. Severe angles, such as obtained with overly cranked torsion bars, will destroy both the CVs and steering rack. It won't be immediate, but I bet within the year you'd be replacing components as they suffer too much direct upward force from those angles that would normally be addressed by the pivot points of the CV and the inner tie rod.

amrg

When i bought my 3 it was cranked to 21" upfront (like every other 3 here). At that height, the halfshafts are level.
The rancho puts you at 26" with alnost level cvs.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

cbetts

NERD!!!
Here is a pic with some variations:
O7dqqPhglnKJBElVwjLypBhjMgIdyiwyMFq1W5DgazuLaMIKVWbbIpZWZdBXEkEEqHSyMWwBReDHQru_1wyc3-xQ4_1616dkMYf81zkFUp5u0vs-bcJdmlITySteR_uVjTCveEAZbvphjQEmIo8Bc28ypVUNWGF-veuf7ISI9ZVlmxdfX_XWV_b5RmtmgP3xRmW1t6avZLyGTpw4i5mtT14yudYXl7GgiNKx5gCCsElUxs3vPfI5GgmzgUO0n3_oaG7y8IC9NoHFWONUJw5t_dcXqrytxWiIfnrOeAVpWo6ldslhCJqktAJcR1M6HwrZD2Y2Gfn5pj1akIUVAyZMRh8mDb-LCiqhCchZZo9-gixBqQoqHT3BBzpRPGcam7fmwQIG2U3Psaby5CQbgtjgdRlUoSecrQk3ECqfZSt2jA0Pdb1HeqdnHa7b_8kTLnaxumG4TvW9tpxPYg-MZdi8gLj5lemWzpOKZ_9a6oGajLcblctBgB22V46ldMFoomcTAJwejY_UYx4pjGc7QL9xbxAFtdUZ_k1fZdVlFa0_AiH4yWyRtf-Fmbbwx9fQfXcR6zvi075K1I8q0KMJXMmyV9HiveCOKRMJ91kLgoXyMoNlr_XaOF-KirY70qgPJZT2DCezV4k_j_QJsqVFTI8TUgU8AD9jA53LBczAx6vzeCFXME-zzoU0LeT-UGiBrg=w1063-h797-no

Mine is second from right. Torsion bars cranked, 1" body lift, 35" tires.

Both trucks on either side of mine are Rancho lifted.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Here is a pic with some variations:
O7dqqPhglnKJBElVwjLypBhjMgIdyiwyMFq1W5DgazuLaMIKVWbbIpZWZdBXEkEEqHSyMWwBReDHQru_1wyc3-xQ4_1616dkMYf81zkFUp5u0vs-bcJdmlITySteR_uVjTCveEAZbvphjQEmIo8Bc28ypVUNWGF-veuf7ISI9ZVlmxdfX_XWV_b5RmtmgP3xRmW1t6avZLyGTpw4i5mtT14yudYXl7GgiNKx5gCCsElUxs3vPfI5GgmzgUO0n3_oaG7y8IC9NoHFWONUJw5t_dcXqrytxWiIfnrOeAVpWo6ldslhCJqktAJcR1M6HwrZD2Y2Gfn5pj1akIUVAyZMRh8mDb-LCiqhCchZZo9-gixBqQoqHT3BBzpRPGcam7fmwQIG2U3Psaby5CQbgtjgdRlUoSecrQk3ECqfZSt2jA0Pdb1HeqdnHa7b_8kTLnaxumG4TvW9tpxPYg-MZdi8gLj5lemWzpOKZ_9a6oGajLcblctBgB22V46ldMFoomcTAJwejY_UYx4pjGc7QL9xbxAFtdUZ_k1fZdVlFa0_AiH4yWyRtf-Fmbbwx9fQfXcR6zvi075K1I8q0KMJXMmyV9HiveCOKRMJ91kLgoXyMoNlr_XaOF-KirY70qgPJZT2DCezV4k_j_QJsqVFTI8TUgU8AD9jA53LBczAx6vzeCFXME-zzoU0LeT-UGiBrg=w1063-h797-no

Mine is second from right. Torsion bars cranked, 1" body lift, 35" tires.

Both trucks on either side of mine are Rancho lifted.

White on the way left with the fat guy is bone stock and higher than the others [emoji1787]