Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
    Low Profile
    Thanks

lift vs torsion height differences?

There are so many threads to sift through and I bet this was discussed 10 years ago with fender measurements, etc but I couldn't easily find any answers to this specific question.

Is there a big or even truly noticeable height difference between cranking the Tbars/extended rear shackles/add-a-leaf and the 4" kit?

I see some H3s with Rancho kits and they don't look HUGE. I see some H3s on 35s with a crank and lifted rear end and it looks the same size?

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Looking at photos vs seeing it in person, as well as seeing a Rancho lifted H3 vs a cranked H3 parked side by side, is a big difference. Plus if the guy running a Rancho hasn't cranked their torsion bars on top of the lift it won't look as big of a difference, the Rancho allows you to have a lift while keeping the CV angles stock which helps promote longevity of the axles.
    2008 H3 Alpha

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - General John Stark

N1JPA

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fowlken8 View Post
    There are so many threads to sift through and I bet this was discussed 10 years ago with fender measurements, etc but I couldn't easily find any answers to this specific question.

Is there a big or even truly noticeable height difference between cranking the Tbars/extended rear shackles/add-a-leaf and the 4" kit?

I see some H3s with Rancho kits and they don't look HUGE. I see some H3s on 35s with a crank and lifted rear end and it looks the same size?

There is definitely a difference. Like JPaul said, some guys running the Rancho kit may not look all too high because they may not have their T Bars cranked up.

If you look at a Rancho H3 at the highest "safe" torsion crank and compare to a 35's with highest "safe" crank, you'll see what we're talking about.
    @Gpcalero Instagram photos and videos

>>The Duke H3T Alpha Build Thread<<

'09 Hummer H3T Alpha - "The Duke"

- Rancho 4" Lift Kit, Texas Speed 212/218 111 LSA Camshaft, ECP 2" Aluminum Radiator, SuperModulation Dual eFans, HID Projector Headlights, 32 Gallon Auxiliary Gas Tank, Matte Black "312" Method Race Wheels, Firestone Rear Airbags, LS3 Swap in Progress...

SOLD --- '09 White H3 - "Lil' Sparta"
    - 295/75/18 Trail Grapplers, STARR HIDs, LED taillights, Magnaflow Exhaust, Air Doc CAI, Supermodulation TB, Defenderworx Fuel Door.

El Diablo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,498 Times in 1,766 Posts
    A "normal" torsion bar adjustment is about 1"-1.5", though it's possible to go over 2 or more. I have modified my rear leafs to give me 1.5" added height. As mentioned, a Rancho is 4", so you do have a big difference.

The goal keeping your H3 running is to have both the CV axles and the steering tie rods close to level. Severe angles, such as obtained with overly cranked torsion bars, will destroy both the CVs and steering rack. It won't be immediate, but I bet within the year you'd be replacing components as they suffer too much direct upward force from those angles that would normally be addressed by the pivot points of the CV and the inner tie rod.

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    When i bought my 3 it was cranked to 21" upfront (like every other 3 here). At that height, the halfshafts are level.
    The rancho puts you at 26" with alnost level cvs.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    06 H3, Birch White, Lux , Cooper AT3 35s, Borla Performance Cat-back, Bilsteins front w/ 1/2" extended stops, Hunner sleeve, Air Doc w/ K&N filter, Oem Roof lights, 55W HID Headlights and 35W Fog lights.

09 H3 V8, Arctic Silver, LS376/480 Conversion, 3000 stall, Custom E-fans, 37" KM3 tires, XD Rockstar Wheels 17x9, OEM Sliders, 40K External Trans Cooler, Bilstein 5160s front 5100 rear, O.D. Steering Bracket, 2" Body Lift, Custom Exhaust, Custom intake pipe & K&N filter, Custom PCM tune, Pioneer DVD unit, Aurora 40" LED Light Bar, 50 W HID Headlights

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    Common sense says lifted more there to start different tires skinny tires effects looks while actual may be the same apples to apples. No one mentioned body lift combined with either. When I researched Rancho just for fun because too expensive for me and rare. Interesting thing found read 4th paragraph down. https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/s...r-h3-lift-kit/

NERD!!!

Thanks
    Here is a pic with some variations:

Mine is second from right. Torsion bars cranked, 1" body lift, 35" tires.

Both trucks on either side of mine are Rancho lifted.
    2017 Honda HR-V
    2020 Subaru Crosstrek Premium / 6 Speed
    SOLD 2006 Hummer H3 / Adventure / 5 Speed / No Bling - BUILD THREAD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cbetts For This Useful Post:

Sennin (01-08-2021)

Mall Crawler

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cbetts View Post
    Here is a pic with some variations:

Mine is second from right. Torsion bars cranked, 1" body lift, 35" tires.

Both trucks on either side of mine are Rancho lifted.
    White on the way left with the fat guy is bone stock and higher than the others
    2005 H2 Adventure

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zach For This Useful Post:

USMC_315 (01-10-2021)