• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Disconnecting Tow Package Harness (at rear bumper)

Faded501s

I'm getting ready to tow a boat down to Florida and find my Hummer is victim of another design flaw. The trailer wires have been eaten through at the frame and for the life of me I've not been able to disconnect the wiring harness plug-in to fix it. I've tried a couple different things but am always afraid of using too much force and breaking the clips. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Below is a (crappy) picture of the clip. I'm trying to fix the problem found in this thread.

20210102_163008.jpg

zebra

a lot of times, you have to push the connectors together to take some tension off the retainer clips before pressing the release tab & pulling out.
also, alternating gentle up/down & side/side wiggles while holding the release helps loosen it up

4speedfunk

I might have some of those tow-package harnesses. I bought a bunch of them awhile back. Let me check my parts shelf.

Faded501s

Thanks zebra. Had to mess around with it a bit but finally got it done. Always afraid of breaking those connectors especially when it's 30 degrees out.

4speed, let me know if you have one of those harnesses. I'm out of touch the next couple days (on the road!) but I'd probably be in.