• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rear diff questions.

rascole

Does the rear diff have a limited slip even if it has the Eaton?
Does the rear diff require the LSD additive?
How much of a tire diameter difference would cause a LSD to "act up"? I have about 1/2" difference between my rear tires when both are off the H3, 33.25 compared to 33.75. When I jack up the rear one of the tires unloads and rotates about quarter turn.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
No LSD in the H3 rear diff and no additive needed. The wheel spin control is brake based, not differential based. I don't know how much of a difference those sizes would make but I have heard the difference with an H3 with one 265 (32'") and one 285 (33") on it and it was severe - lots of noise coming from the diff or transfer case. With my recently flattened tire, I'm either buying 5 tires or only using the spare for off road emergencies as I don't like the wear difference that I'd have with 15,000 miles. I'm strongly leaning towards five new tires.

Mathematically, the 265 to 285 difference is about 3.6" in circumference that was was bad. You're about 1.6". Can't say it's bad but I wouldn't do it - heck, like I said, I'm not going to do it.

Hopefully some smarter people have more definitive answers.

rascole

I switched the new front tires and put them on the back and no change. I didn't think that 1 mildly worn tire could make a difference. May be getting 2 new tires this weekend. I should have stated that the new tires are identical 315/75-16 Coopers and they are listed as 34.5"

Last edited:

08H3

I had Destination MTs a couple sets back. They were great tires, but one of my complaints was they did not wear evenly from one tire to the next. When they got to 3/8" difference I sold them and bought new just to be safe for the exact reasons you state. I can say, however, that with 3/8" difference there was nothing noticable. No noise, no unexpected wear, no handling problems. Don't know if that helps you out in any way, but thought I'd offer my input.

720H

Apples to Oranges nice story though. Was watching ones guys channel with a Mustang 5.0. They opened up Talladega for regular cars to take a few laps at reasonable speed with a pace car. Of coarse some would drop back and kick it up a notch or a couple catching back up. He and a bud got kicked out after one lap. He mentioned going that far around a curve outside wheel was enough to set off traction control and banking stability control. I'll turn mine off if I get the chance to run it

MilamJR

Apples to Oranges nice story though. Was watching ones guys channel with a Mustang 5.0. They opened up Talladega for regular cars to take a few laps at reasonable speed with a pace car. Of coarse some would drop back and kick it up a notch or a couple catching back up. He and a bud got kicked out after one lap. He mentioned going that far around a curve outside wheel was enough to set off traction control and banking stability control. I'll turn mine off if I get the chance to run it

Friend of mine took his 68 GT 500 tribute around and at 100+ mph and in one of the bankings it stopped picking up oil. Blew apart a perfectly good 428 down the backstretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk