• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Diode Dynamics pulled all LED headlight bulbs

JPaul

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
That's a bummer. The recall says that DD is going to replace the LEDs under the recall with halogen bulbs. I hope that's not the extent of the care of the customers - I hope it's a refund PLUS the bulbs.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
More interesting: the SL1 bulbs are still for sale but only as fog lights. https://www.diodedynamics.com/led-bulbs/sl1-led-bulbs.html

Also on their site is that ALL LED replacement bulbs that go into halogen fixtures are illegal in the US
"[FONT=&quot]APPLICATION NOTICE: LED bulbs are legal in the USA for Fog Light use only.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Not compliant with DOT / FMVSS108 and not street legal in the USA for Headlights. Legal for off-road use in ATV, snowmobile, and off-road racing use. International legality varies by country. Note: This usage regulation is not unique to Diode Dynamics bulbs. All LED bulbs from all brands, regardless of marketing claims, are prohibited from street use in halogen headlights in the USA." (My italics, not theirs)[/FONT]

JPaul

It's too bad that the enforcement of this is only extending to US manufacturers. Too many people out there running illegal and poorly executed headlight modifications. I've started seeing people running the cheap lightbars on the street too on their trucks around here. Idiots.

lugantom

I put some bright LEDs in my factory fog lights. Don’t seem to annoy oncoming drivers and are a BIG safety improvement over halogens.

I’ve seen a LOT of deer that otherwise would have surprised me since upgrading.

I am waiting to see how they work in heavy snow. I think they’re sufficiently low to help more than hurt (glare).

Mine are Chinese, I think - VoRock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk