• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Any Idea What This Decal Means (non-Hummer)

08H3

I've had this car for several years, but I have never found anyone who was able to explain exactly what this decal means and why it would have been put on this car. I even asked at the NCM archives and they had no idea. I'm sure it's not Corvette specific, but it's on a '99.

I do know from Carfax that the first registered owner of the car was actually General Motors in Washington state of all places. Didn't even really know they had any interests there. I'm not under the illusion that I have anything special, but there may be a cool history to it if I knew a little more. The label has an address to contact for vehicle information. I haven't done that, but that would be cool if they actually had info specific to this car. PXL_20201216_151919709.jpg

Jeff V.

That's interesting. Was your car a pre-production model? Look at the last 7 digits of your VIN. If it's 50xxxxx then it was pre-production. If it's 51xxxxx, then it was regular production. It might also be worth looking at the RPO label to see if it's got option CTF. That was GMs captured test fleet. There are a few other corporate test options, but I'm less familiar with those.

My thinking is if it was a pre-production car, then that could explain the emissions exemption label. It was used for testing before regular production started. The fact that it's still there means someone forgot a step before it got sold off.

The address won't do you any good. That was GMs headquarters before they moved to the Renaissance Center. The West Grand Blvd building belongs to the state of Michigan now. They have a bunch of their offices there.

Might be interesting to see if there are any other non-standard parts on the car. It doubt it'll be anything noteworthy, but like you said, it makes for an interesting story.

Mr_Rich

Could the car have possibly been set up to run propane at one time? I think that would make sense. Then if it was sold the equipment had to be removed but the label wasn't.

08H3

In California diesels are exempt up until 1998 I believe.

There would definitely be some cool factor there, but no, it's definitely not a diesel Corvette! It is a regular production 51XXXXX VIN built in April 99. By the way, is that true of all GM cars...the 50 series is preproduction and the 51 regular? That was interesting. I learned something.

Have not checked the RPO codes as I already put it in storage for the winter, but I will next time I am there.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Hit up my GM rep today. He said he’s never seen that before. But, obviously that label exists. Checked the history on it and it shows no delivering dealer for it. Weird. I hit up someone higher up, waiting for response

08H3

Wondering if this is going to end in black helicopters and men in suits showing up...

No...I live in Indiana, not California! :)

Zach...you mentioned it had no delivering dealer. I honestly cant remember since it has been so long ago, but did the PEP cars have a delivering dealer listed? I had a 97 Camaro PEP car, but can't find my paperwork to check.

EDIT:. Had my parents check some of their PEP purchases and those cars did not show a delivering dealer.

In case anyone else is curious, the PEP program stood for Product Evaluation Program. Basically it was a great perk for GM executives (plant managers, etc.) where they got personal use of brand new GM vehicles in exchange for evaluating them. After a few thousand miles, the car and trucks were then offered to GM employees at a significant discount. I do remember my Camaro did not have a Certificate of Origin, but did have a title in GM's name, so that may be the same case with this Corvette. I am really kind of excited to learn the story on this card. Hopefully Zach can dig up some good stuff.

Last edited:

LagunaH1

The car was excempt because it belonged to GM for some reason.... What that reason was, probably isn't relevant I suppose (but interesting for sure). Maybe someone just forgot to remove the label when the car was sold

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Did a little research and found out that this Vette was the real life model for the Back to the Fusion DeLorean. Unfortunately, they had to remove the flux capacitor and Mr. Fusion before they could resell the car to the general public. If you're lucky, you might find some dust from 1885 in the deep crevices.