• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Brake line failure

Jeff V.

I wanted to put this out there as a sort of public service announcement. The left front brake line failed on my 08. It's got 170,000 miles and while the bottom of the truck is a little rusty, it's all cosmetic. It's definitely not a northern rust bucket. The crimp completely disintegrated underneath the rubber isolator. I cut the isolator off the passenger side and it was in the same condition. The new GM brake lines don't have this rubber part.

I noticed it took a little more pedal travel to stop when I was getting off the freeway. I pulled over and saw the line was wet. Fortunately it was a pinhole leak. But it could have been really bad if it had failed in a real panic situation.

I replaced every rubber hose on the truck after that. My 09 is going to get a full set when I put it up to change the leaf springs.

H3-brake-fail.jpg

amrg

Glad you caught it! That happened to me a few months back on my 09 while going 60+. First the pedal was weird, then no brakes. Was lucky the road wasnt busy and used air resisrance and the ebrake to slow me down. The hose blew on the passenger side at the same area.
I think by now everyone should look into replacing those hoses

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

EndeavoredH3

I think by now everyone should look into replacing these hoses

Mine look fine but I already have them ordered for my next brake job. I would rather spend the money now than not being able to stop and plow into someone if it ever decides to blow randomly.

08H3

Similar thing happened to me as well. There was no outward sign anything was out of the ordinary with the hose. Mine was also an '08 left front.
IMG_20190722_120242.jpg