• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Live reveal

Jeepwalker

I think I read 13" suspension articulation (Motor Trend.com). They have tons of pictures ...like 90 pics

....sorry if someone already posted it.

High Five H2

I'm just thinking out loud here, but what if someone stuck some portal hubs on it? then you'd have a place to re-gear for bigger tires. And it would have the same setup as a Humvee, which would be neat. I don't know how bigger tires affect electric motors like they do gas.

Jeepwalker

I'm just thinking out loud here, but what if someone stuck some portal hubs on it? then you'd have a place to re-gear for bigger tires. And it would have the same setup as a Humvee, which would be neat. I don't know how bigger tires affect electric motors like they do gas.

Here's how I look at it: The first year EV-H's are going to be the $115k variety. Even the second year GM said they would produce the $90k variety (on up $). You're not going to see any $40k Hummers running around for a long time. It's highly unlikely many of those new owners, besides SEMA and Magazine cover projects, ...are going to off-road their EV-H's very much. I hate to deflate people who are looking to go buy one for $28k next fall. Think of the H-EV as the full-sized Tesla model S for rich rednecks. That's how they're going to recoup their costs. Experts claimed early on the Volt would fail b/c new technologies in the automotive world almost always start at the top and trickle down. Even now you don't see too many Model S' selling cheap on the corner used car lot.

So, to me, the type of owners of the new H-ev ...sure maybe they'll take one trip to Moab or the local off-road trails 'just to see' how it performs. Otherwise, they'll be grocery getters and kid drop-off machines. I don't see the price dropping much into the 'affordable' range for a long, long time. Even as it is now, on the trails I've been on, I see a lot more side-by-sides on trails than ever before, and hardly any full-sized trucks. Perhaps more side-by-sides these days in Moab and CO than SUVs, Jeeps, etc.

During the early H-ev production, the Bronco is going to eat the EV-H's lunch in terms of sales, b/c the Bronco is so customizable and cheaper ...and just looks 'neater' IMO. By the time GM gets to the point where they are selling H-EVs for a lot less $$ to the 'masses', I suspect they'll have to adapt some of the characteristics that make the Bronco and Jeep Rubicon fun to buy ...which is customization. I foresee GM will have to offer up a slew of ideas to make the lower priced H-ev's 'fresh' compete with those other two brands.

One 'ODD' characterstic of the H-ev is it's lower 1/3 where the battery sits so low. The profile of the bottom 1/3 to me looks like they didn't finish it off very well. It looks 'body-lifted' w/o even being lifted. The cheaper way to go for owners down the road will probably be cutting the fenders for bigger tires, or (hopefully) someone will offer high-profile fenders or another kind of lift. Or a way to keep it's air suspension in the 'lifted mode' at higher speeds. I suspect this thing will be so 'electrified' and sensor'd up it's going to be difficult to install portal axles on it, but we'll see. GM hasn't so far been great at offering software mods like FCA has. What Ford did 'right' on the Bronco is pro-actively offer-up a slew of mods ahead of time so guys can do 'whatever ' of their rigs. Be interesting to see how things play out with the H-ev.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Here's the problem the early iteration of H-EV is going to have: As much of a fan I am of the new Hummer-EV, I just configured a brand new 4dr Bronco (the configurator just 'hit' on Ford's site this morning), I configured a 4dr Cactus Gray with the Sasquatch Pkg (35" tires/front-rear lockers/Aluminum wheels, off-road fenders, etc) and a couple other options (not too many) for $47k. Less than half the cost of the initial H-ev's (according to early GM H-EV production plans).

JPaul

Here's the problem the early iteration of H-EV is going to have: As much of a fan I am of the new Hummer-EV, I just configured a brand new 4dr Bronco (the configurator just 'hit' on Ford's site this morning), I configured a 4dr Cactus Gray with the Sasquatch Pkg (35" tires/front-rear lockers/Aluminum wheels, off-road fenders, etc) and a couple other options (not too many) for $47k. Less than half the cost of the initial H-ev's (according to early GM H-EV production plans).
Hate to break it to you, but I don't think you're part of their target market. Very, very few of us on here are. We're the "They can just buy a Bison" market.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

fowlken8

Hahaha that's hilarious. I submitted my pre-order for a cactus gray bronco, but am not going to follow through because I found my H3 EXTREMELY cheap last month. But I wanted that bronco big time... I also want the hummer ev.... But 112k for the loaded option... 80k base model.... Please.

Why so pricey? Cyber truck is 40k base, ugly, but still ev, fast, and tested (Tesla).

Jeepwalker

That's funny, glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought Cactus Gray was an interesting color.

I'm not defecting to a Bronco anytime soon either -- just wanted to see what one would cost. I love our H3, I like the overall size of it, ease of repairing. I finally got all the bugs worked out. Ours has almost every option. I can keep it going for a long time or just buy another one. I think the H3's look cooler than just about anything else at the moment. But I applaud Ford's work on the Bronco. It's very compelling. And the technology of the Hummer EV is foreward-looking. They'll eventually come down in price. ..eventually.

Jeff V.

Hahaha that's hilarious. I submitted my pre-order for a cactus gray bronco, but am not going to follow through because I found my H3 EXTREMELY cheap last month. But I wanted that bronco big time... I also want the hummer ev.... But 112k for the loaded option... 80k base model.... Please.

Why so pricey? Cyber truck is 40k base, ugly, but still ev, fast, and tested (Tesla).

Tesla also said they were going to make a $35k Model 3. Go try to find one of those now. They've got a long history of making promises they don't keep. I'll be shocked if you can actually buy one before the H-EV starts production, and I'll be even more shocked if it's anywhere close to that 40k price point.

I think Tesla is aiming are more of the mid range F150 market. GM is shooting for more of a shed-sized supercar.