Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Live reveal

Chapter President

Thanks
    I did not expect it would be cheap but wowzers that’s a lot of coin. Maybe they’ll give a huge rebate to existing Hummer owners!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,364 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Wife loved it, still doesn't really trip my trigger. Having had an order in for a 2020 Corvette since August of 2019 and seeing the roll out issues, production issues, parts supply issues, software issues and new model first years oopsies I think you are better off buying a year two EV Hummer if you are interested. Looks like they will deliver my new Corvette in December. That is only a 16 month wait for a car that will be delivered outside its model year.
    1998 H1 Open Top
    1994 H1 HMC4
    1992 H1 HMC4 LE
    1990 1025 Armament Carrier

KJ6JCC

BlackSheep Hummer Squadron, H1 PsychoSquad

All Terrain
    Thanks
    I would never spend that kind of money on any vehicle. They are planning 4-5 years out and will be lucky if this makes it past year two at that price.
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    06 H3 Adv - Sold
    09 H3T Alpha/Adv- Sold

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Pretty impressive specs; 4-wheel steering AND crab walk (although I'm really not sure where the latter would ever really be needed; kind of a cool "Hey, check this out" gimmick, though), awesome HP and torque, front & rear lockers (real and/or simulated), 8" worth of adjustable ride height (6" up, 2" down), 18 cameras (including 2 underneath, with washers), good range, quick charge (with an 800V charger anyway ), full undercarriage protection, rock sliders, open air roof, impressive styling (imo)...

I had 2 fears with this truck; 1 that it would fall short of the off-road capabilities that a Hummer NEEDS to wear the name, and 2 that it's styling would be so new that it wouldn't actually "look" like a Hummer. I'm happy that they actually seemed to accomplish both, making sure that it was extremely capable off-road, and that it unmistakably looks like a Hummer (although it needs some hood vents!), just updated.

Definitely pricey though, and the decision to ONLY offer the most expensive, high-end model during the first year is also a gamble. Hope it pays off.
    Last edited by 650Hawk; 10-22-2020 at 03:33 PM.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old... We grow old because we stop playing.

Bogger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 650Hawk View Post
    Pretty impressive specs; 4-wheel steering AND crab walk (although I'm really not sure where the latter would ever really be needed; kind of a cool "Hey, check this out" gimmick, though), awesome HP and torque, front & rear lockers (real and/or simulated), 8" worth of adjustable ride height (6" up, 2" down), 18 cameras (including 2 underneath, with washers), good range, quick charge (with an 800V charger anyway ), open air roof, impressive styling (imo)...

I had 2 fears with this truck; 1 that it would fall short of the off-road capabilities that a Hummer NEEDS to wear the name, and 2 that it's styling would be so new that it wouldn't actually "look" like a Hummer. I'm happy that they actually seemed to accomplish both, making sure that it was extremely capable off-road, and that it unmistakably looks like a Hummer (although it needs some hood vents!), just updated.

Definitely pricey though, and the decision to ONLY offer the most expensive, high-end model during the first year is also a gamble. Hope it pays off.
    Hood vents and a backwards opening hood

Of course I wanted something with solid axles, but that won't happen. But I'm wondering if the way the electric motors are set up means the longer CV shafts will be able to articulate more. I think I read somewhere they had 13 in of travel. It's not coilovers and solid axles level of travel, but that's not bad. It may be more than any other hummer yet.

Also I found out the moon theme. GM was involved in the moon landing and it was 50 years ago last year. Neat.
    Last edited by High Five H2; 10-21-2020 at 12:57 PM.

John||2008 Hummer H2|2005 BMW 330i ZHP|2018 Dodge Grand Caravan GT| @virtual.high.five|

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This guy gives a decent walkthrough on all the features and Easter eggs.

https://autospies.com/news/BREAKING-...e-HYPE-103644/

With all the lunar refs, I bet when the advertising gets going closer to market dates, it will feature HEV's on the moon or some chit.

2010 H3 Adventure
    Pro Comp 6079 Alloys (17x9), 1079 Beadlock Rings, 12.50 X 35 Good Year MTR's W/K
    Leveled, Rock Rails/U-Steps, SMA Brush Guard, KC Slim Lites, SG II, Rad-1, Magellan 1700 GPS, Midland Comm

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Styling is ok, but looks a lot like an Avalanche (which I've never really liked). I'm sure there'll be different styles (SUV/Truck, etc). $70k is a lot, but maybe there'll be an incentive by then. Range-wise the higher capacity unit is about what My h3 is. Guess we'll have to see how they look when they hit the dealer showroom.
    Jeepwalker

'07 H3 Advent/Lux
    Jeep XJ, ZJ, WJ
    Ram & GMC 4x4's
    Toyota Hilux

Baja
    Thanks
    It's in fully loaded Land Rover Defender 110 territory, but it's a sexy looking thing! I still saw the H3T body/look to it, and I liked the terrain looking graphics etched into the plastic. Looks like they're stepping up their game for sure, but I'll stick with my old Land Rover's for now.

Just happy to see Hummer back in the game. I have always told people the H3 was a great vehicle, but I really never had anyone agree with me. I still miss my 07 Adventure with the Black/Red interior and my 08 Alpha with the 5.3L.

95 Land Rover Discovery Series I lifted
    97 Land Rover Discovery Series I XD lifted
    99 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE7 lifted
    02 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE Kalahari 2inch TF Lift & modified for off roading
    04 Land Rover Discovery Series II lifted
    06 Land Rover LR3 HSE (with rear locker)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Best4x4 For This Useful Post:

LagunaH1 (10-22-2020)

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Just happy to see Hummer back in the game. I have always told people the H3 was a great vehicle, but I really never had anyone agree with me.
    Oh, I DEFINITELY agree with you!! Ha ha...

And that older Land Rovers are great rigs too!! (I guess I left '98 Disco off my list of vehicles)
    Last edited by Jeepwalker; 10-22-2020 at 12:26 PM.
    Jeepwalker

'07 H3 Advent/Lux
    Jeep XJ, ZJ, WJ
    Ram & GMC 4x4's
    Toyota Hilux

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oltorf The Destroyer View Post
    But I'm wondering if the way the electric motors are set up means the longer CV shafts will be able to articulate more.
    The CV shafts actually extend as needed.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old... We grow old because we stop playing.

Street Tire
    Thanks
    I think I read 13" suspension articulation (Motor Trend.com). They have tons of pictures ...like 90 pics

....sorry if someone already posted it.
    Jeepwalker

'07 H3 Advent/Lux
    Jeep XJ, ZJ, WJ
    Ram & GMC 4x4's
    Toyota Hilux

Bogger
    Thanks
    I'm just thinking out loud here, but what if someone stuck some portal hubs on it? then you'd have a place to re-gear for bigger tires. And it would have the same setup as a Humvee, which would be neat. I don't know how bigger tires affect electric motors like they do gas.

John||2008 Hummer H2|2005 BMW 330i ZHP|2018 Dodge Grand Caravan GT| @virtual.high.five|

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,364 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Not sure you want to raise the COG
    1998 H1 Open Top
    1994 H1 HMC4
    1992 H1 HMC4 LE
    1990 1025 Armament Carrier

KJ6JCC

BlackSheep Hummer Squadron, H1 PsychoSquad

Street Tire
    Thanks
    I'm just thinking out loud here, but what if someone stuck some portal hubs on it? then you'd have a place to re-gear for bigger tires. And it would have the same setup as a Humvee, which would be neat. I don't know how bigger tires affect electric motors like they do gas.
    Here's how I look at it: The first year EV-H's are going to be the $115k variety. Even the second year GM said they would produce the $90k variety (on up $). You're not going to see any $40k Hummers running around for a long time. It's highly unlikely many of those new owners, besides SEMA and Magazine cover projects, ...are going to off-road their EV-H's very much. I hate to deflate people who are looking to go buy one for $28k next fall. Think of the H-EV as the full-sized Tesla model S for rich rednecks. That's how they're going to recoup their costs. Experts claimed early on the Volt would fail b/c new technologies in the automotive world almost always start at the top and trickle down. Even now you don't see too many Model S' selling cheap on the corner used car lot.

So, to me, the type of owners of the new H-ev ...sure maybe they'll take one trip to Moab or the local off-road trails 'just to see' how it performs. Otherwise, they'll be grocery getters and kid drop-off machines. I don't see the price dropping much into the 'affordable' range for a long, long time. Even as it is now, on the trails I've been on, I see a lot more side-by-sides on trails than ever before, and hardly any full-sized trucks. Perhaps more side-by-sides these days in Moab and CO than SUVs, Jeeps, etc.

During the early H-ev production, the Bronco is going to eat the EV-H's lunch in terms of sales, b/c the Bronco is so customizable and cheaper ...and just looks 'neater' IMO. By the time GM gets to the point where they are selling H-EVs for a lot less $$ to the 'masses', I suspect they'll have to adapt some of the characteristics that make the Bronco and Jeep Rubicon fun to buy ...which is customization. I foresee GM will have to offer up a slew of ideas to make the lower priced H-ev's 'fresh' compete with those other two brands.

One 'ODD' characterstic of the H-ev is it's lower 1/3 where the battery sits so low. The profile of the bottom 1/3 to me looks like they didn't finish it off very well. It looks 'body-lifted' w/o even being lifted. The cheaper way to go for owners down the road will probably be cutting the fenders for bigger tires, or (hopefully) someone will offer high-profile fenders or another kind of lift. Or a way to keep it's air suspension in the 'lifted mode' at higher speeds. I suspect this thing will be so 'electrified' and sensor'd up it's going to be difficult to install portal axles on it, but we'll see. GM hasn't so far been great at offering software mods like FCA has. What Ford did 'right' on the Bronco is pro-actively offer-up a slew of mods ahead of time so guys can do 'whatever ' of their rigs. Be interesting to see how things play out with the H-ev.
    Last edited by Jeepwalker; 10-23-2020 at 11:24 AM.
    Jeepwalker

'07 H3 Advent/Lux
    Jeep XJ, ZJ, WJ
    Ram & GMC 4x4's
    Toyota Hilux

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Here's the problem the early iteration of H-EV is going to have: As much of a fan I am of the new Hummer-EV, I just configured a brand new 4dr Bronco (the configurator just 'hit' on Ford's site this morning), I configured a 4dr Cactus Gray with the Sasquatch Pkg (35" tires/front-rear lockers/Aluminum wheels, off-road fenders, etc) and a couple other options (not too many) for $47k. Less than half the cost of the initial H-ev's (according to early GM H-EV production plans).
    Jeepwalker

'07 H3 Advent/Lux
    Jeep XJ, ZJ, WJ
    Ram & GMC 4x4's
    Toyota Hilux