• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hummer EV Reveal

USMC_315

What did you all think of that 5 min "reveal"?

[video=youtube;MjMhZKmHKGk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjMhZKmHKGk[/video]

In my personal opinion, that must've been one of the most lackluster reveals I've ever seen. Didn't GM put this off for half a year? And that's all they could come up with? Bronco's reveal was like watching a short film and they went into depth on what is going to be offered along with all of the features it'll host. Yet GM thought it would be a good idea to tease a bit and describe the truck in the most ambiguous terms? I feel like I learned nothing from that. Idk, maybe I just built up the anticipation in my own mind...

It's not all horrible, we did get to preview a couple of new things. Seeing what the UI may look like, the interior, supercruise 2.0, and some pretty impressive offroad features offered some comfort for such a let down after all this waiting at least.

Last edited:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Have to give GM credit. The innovations on this truck are unlike any other truck on the market. HUMMER, Like Nothing Else! I would love to drive one!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
I have to add, not even a scorpion can crab walk...but then again, it doesn't have to. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Jeff V.

After the way the C8 Corvette reveal went on, and on, and on....I was hoping this would be a bit shorter. But not quite that short. I think Ford hit the sweet spot with the Bronco intro. Hopefully we'll see some good 3rd party content soon. I already saw that Engineering Explained has an 18 minute walk-around video. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet though.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
The crab walk was cool. Still not really interested but JJ was real excited about it. She was asking how it would do hauling a horse trailer.

650Hawk

The crab walk, while kinda cool, isn't really usable for much that I can see other than "hey, check this out!". Rotational ability (like the Rivian) would actually be more useful, IMO.

rascole

I love it, the grill is bold and the rest of the body is simple, nothing gaudy. But I would rather spend 50k on a Chevy Avalanche with 1 tons and a Duramax.

JPaul

I'll come back in 10 years when the batteries have died and electrical issues crop up and owners start abandoning them for pennies on the dollar, since clearly in ten years there will be much, much better EV's out there. I already see quite a few Tesla's on the road here in Utah, I don't think a single commute goes without seeing at least a few of them.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Hmm...sounds like a lot of gas-powered Hummer owners who bailed out of their rigs in under 10 years. Don't over think it, most people dump their vehicles way before the 10 year mark for a lot of different reasons. Warranty coverage is a very common denominator. Fast-changing technology is another. That's why I would never spend $100k today on an antiquated gas-powered off-road vehicle that 22 years ago was considered to be state-of-the-fart.

Jeepwalker

I too give GM credit for going 'ground-up' on the innovations. I'm also in the camp where I can't see spending that much on a new rig (gas or electric). Not yet. Plus, IMO the H3 actually looks better. But IIRC the Gladiator was $70k at the start and the price has come down quite a bit. I suspect there'll be less expensive versions of the H4 (what are they calling it now??) eventually. As an aside, they installed 2x charging stations at my wife's work last year. Free for any employee to use. Nobody uses them right now. Theoretically she could commute for free other than tires and consumables. So that's an argument FOR the new H4 at the moment anyway.

Yeah, I think we're standing at a Henry Ford moment where the days of gas engines are numbered. Although I'm entrenched in fuel vehicles, I think it's inevitible that eventually the perception of driving a gas vehicle will be like wearing a fur coat was at one time. At that point, if range is 300+ for most vehicles, there won't be many arguments to stick with petro. Lot of mfgrs are preparing to debut electric vehicles in the next couple yrs. Yep they'll get better soon enough. There are electric V8 conversion kits out now too.

Last edited:

High Five H2

This is making me want to get out of the oilfield more and more...

But also I think it will compete more with Range Rovers and MB G-wagens than other e-trucks. Nearly everyone is making EV's these days so I don't think it was ever meant to compete solely with other e-trucks, especially since their prices are all over the place.

MilamJR

Well, since it can do Moab Rim it might be the perfect EV for 3Hummers.

Looks like a pretty awesome vehicle though I know I certainly won't be a part of the initial group, both because of price and I have no way to plug it in.

More news here https://www.motortrend.com/news/202...rf947TuaO2Pwrq1tq7jVM0JVh52VcuwiU#sf239052920

Alex, we need to see if they will send one to Black Sheep week. Might create a great marketing video for them to tie it to its predecessors if they send a film crew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High Five H2

Alex, we need to see if they will send one to Black Sheep week. Might create a great marketing video for them to tie it to its predecessors if they send a film crew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems like they've been letting every youtube car channel do a video on it so it might be a good possibility. if they did, I definitely wouldn't miss it.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure my twin 850 CCA batteries could jump a Hummer EV. :) I might be able to power up the cigarette lighter...if it has one.