• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Gauging Interest - Mojave Road Spring 2021

bebe

So we just came back from a fall Colors run in Bishop this weekend. Around the campfire we started talking about the Mojave Road. One of the folks there said - "OK - you put it together and we will be there!" It will likely be 2.5 days (2 nights camping) on the trail not including travel time to and from.

Typically the trail is run East to West, beginning on the Colorado River and ending just east of Barstow.

Sewie and I have done this trail 2x way back in '05 and '06 with HummerX and Elcova peeps. It was a blast with tons of History and awesome things to see. Nothing difficult.

Best time of year is spring, so I thought we could possibly run this the week before Easter or the week after? It could be a good plan to replace next years Moab trip (since things are still fubarred and IMHO are showing no end in sight) and still be able to get together and have a great time with friends :)

https://www.davebarton.com/mojave.html

mojaveroadmap-dbimagehi.jpg

Let me know what you all think!!

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Count me in. I would do this trip/trail in a heartbeat.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great trip. especially in the Spring when everything is blooming. By April it is starting to get pretty warm. Nothing technical but lots of history and views. I am still hoping for a Moab trip next Spring but we will see.

bebe

I really want to do both :) If nothing else we can plan and if Moab does an abort like last year, we'll have this as a back up. Plus, Moab is 7-10 days for most, this would have a max of 4.

bebe

I searched a little after I posted (LOL) and saw you have done portions. Maybe we can collaborate and determine the must-sees? I haven't been to the Lava Tubes and would like to do that.

Also, there is a little list of things we need to bring with us from Home:
A penny
A rock
A frog figurine
A gnome figurine
A small vehicle toy (I'm going to grab some McDonalds Hummers from e-bay to leave.)

rascole

I searched a little after I posted (LOL) and saw you have done portions. Maybe we can collaborate and determine the must-sees? I haven't been to the Lava Tubes and would like to do that.

Also, there is a little list of things we need to bring with us from Home:
A penny
A rock
A frog figurine
A gnome figurine
A small vehicle toy (I'm going to grab some McDonalds Hummers from e-bay to leave.)
Yes, I have done the trail 5+ times but never started at the river. I usually start off Ivanpah Rd. just out of habit. I have yet to see everything there and there is much to see. Let me know what spots peak your interest and I can share my thoughts or others herre that have done it. I am going again this Nov so I can scout some spots that interest you. Lava tubes are a good stop. I was there this past April and the makeshift towns had been cleaned up, they were getting out of control and trashy, the frog and gnome collections were there but smaller than the November before. Some idiots posted a Youtube video of their stop at the town and their kids were destroying the collections and the parents just laughed it off and walked away. They were hammered pretty by commenters and eventually took the video down and posted an apology on the forum they were part of.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have started in Laughlin. Spend first night in the hotel, gambling for those that are so inclined, then off in the AM.

bebe

We have started in Laughlin. Spend first night in the hotel, gambling for those that are so inclined, then off in the AM.

I like that idea! Good nights sleep and a restaurant meal before we head out. I'll check Laughlin Hotels.

Dave please let me know if there is anything you haven't seen and would like too, or otherwise suggest as a must see.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the Mojave River has water in it it can be fun to drive down. Has never been very deep. Some mud puddles for those inclined to clean on their trucks for weeks. Drifting in the blow sand is fun.

rascole

If the Mojave River has water in it it can be fun to drive down. Has never been very deep. Some mud puddles for those inclined to clean on their trucks for weeks. Drifting in the blow sand is fun.
It was 36" + deep this past April. My tires were covered and almost to the fender. This winter is supposed to be drier so it may be lower but I have never seen it less than 24".

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have done it with less than 24", driven down it for quite a ways. I don't recommend the mud puddles unless you like to spend weeks cleaning the gunk out from under your truck.

bebe

That looks awesome...I don't think we did that before! I know we crossed at Afton Canyon, but this does not look familiar!

rascole

This is just West of Afton Canyon, AC does have some water but it is usually 12 inches with the trail following alongside of it.

Kurt

Afton canyon is fun, I wanted to do that whole trail, I did half of it back in 2017, decided to check all those exits off 15, Cima Road, ZyxyZ Rd, Razor trail, etc and mapped it all out, didn't know there was a few residences tucked in there on Public land.

There's an off chance I may be Nevada or Arizona so if that's the case I'm in.