• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

April 2021 Black Sheep Week

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
The original plan was to head out Saturday but my cousins wedding that got cancelled is now back on for April 3rd in NY.

I booked flights today. The plan is to drive from Boise to Salt Lake. Fly out of Salt Lake, go to the wedding, fly back to Salt Lake, pick up the Hummer and head to Moab. I should be there Monday.

I don’t know how the group feels about covid, I hope you aren’t too worried about me being on a plane a few days before seeing you all. This whole thing is weird and I don’t want to make anyone nervous.

I’m deciding on whether I drive or trailer Squeaky. If I drive I’ll slap the 40s back on, if I trailer I’ll leave the 43s on. They are too loud, too soft and suck up too much power for trips over 200 miles one way. I need to get a 2nd set of rims so I don’t have to do the dismount/mount tire shuffle.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
The original plan was to head out Saturday but my cousins wedding that got cancelled is now back on for April 3rd in NY.

I booked flights today. The plan is to drive from Boise to Salt Lake. Fly out of Salt Lake, go to the wedding, fly back to Salt Lake, pick up the Hummer and head to Moab. I should be there Monday.

I don’t know how the group feels about covid, I hope you aren’t too worried about me being on a plane a few days before seeing you all. This whole thing is weird and I don’t want to make anyone nervous.

I’m deciding on whether I drive or trailer Squeaky. If I drive I’ll slap the 40s back on, if I trailer I’ll leave the 43s on. They are too loud, too soft and suck up too much power for trips over 200 miles one way. I need to get a 2nd set of rims so I don’t have to do the dismount/mount tire shuffle.
Drive it man! You've inspired me to drive it vs the trailer.
That and I don't want to buy a trailer haha

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

LagunaH1

I am VERY much looking forward! So many reasons, but I can't wait to go.

In terms of Covid: Let's use good common sense and respect if someone asks for (for example) a bit of distance, etc.

JPaul

I am finally getting my garage cleaned up and organized after being in the new house for over a year. I counted the number of front axles I have and somehow there is a total of 8 of them??? :whaa:

I have no idea how I ended up with so many of them in only a few years. But I need to go through them and see which ones are still good for trail spares and which ones need to be rebuilt. I think half of them only have issues with the boots either losing clamps or getting pinholes in them. A couple were pretty stiff and poached for the outer CV shaft to use while the front diff was out (I'll be bringing those with me incase either myself or someone else needs to pull an axle and drive in RWD). Not sure about the others, but aside from the two previously mentioned none of them are actually broken (yet).

Still have some more projects I would like to get done before the trip but nothing that is going to hold me back if I don't get them finished.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been directly exposed 10 times so far that I know of and if I have had Covid ( don't think so ) I am totally asymptomatic. I am O+ on blood type so maybe that helps. I don't mind following reasonable safety protocols. Someone needs to bring a big can of Lysol so we can spray Chris down when he gets there. :) Outside of that normal precautions should be fine. Whatever keeps everyone comfortable.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Everyone’s reaction is different to COVID so I wanted to let people know I was on a plane ahead of time. At this point I have dealt with every type of COVID reaction. I have had people who don’t care, he was a stranger who started talking to me in Harbor Freight and long story short we were internet friends on Pirate4x4 and he hugged me! LOL That was a few months ago.

I’ve had people freak out that I didn’t disclose that I was out and about before meeting with them so I just wanted to air it out now in case anyone was extra cautious.

I’ll respect and assume everyone wants space but at the same time I won’t freak out if a stranger hugs me lol. I have just gone with the flow and haven’t gotten it yet.

As for driving, I might. I feel like a big baby if I do not drive mine. The whole point is to keep it a driver but I have never had a tire so gnarly. They are absolutely amazing offroad and so horrible on the highway. I have always had good all around tires for on road and offroad use. This new 43 is just pure offroad performance.

With 40s, my 6.2L and a 4 speed auto had the low end torque to keep the H3 in overdrive at 80 mph in most freeway scenarios.

Now with the 43s being so soft, wide and tall they SUCK horsepower. It’s a quick way to make 403 HP feel like 250 HP.

They are so loud. For example, I was driving home from a snow wheeling trip in January and my buddy in his tow rig called me and said he could hear my tires howl 35 feet behind him. (His tow rig was towing his rock crawler on a trailer so I was far behind him.)

I’m the first to admit they suck for all around performance but man do they kick ass offroad.

I’m glad the Hummer is a tire change away from still being a comfortable rig to drive 750 miles in a day. I don’t want to make any permanent changes to the Hummer that changes that.

With that all said I’ll figure something out before Moab. Maybe I’ll put it on the back of the F550 from here to the salt lake airport and drive it from the airport to Moab or I’ll slap 40s on it. I know my wife will hate me if we drive it on 43s from Boise to the SLC airport for the wedding. It sounds like your sitting on the wing of a plane with those tires for 5-6 hours.

jakesz28

If towing it is easier just tow it. Less hassle in the end anyway.

I have been through 20 different states, been to Mexico, been through airports. I will gladly give people distance if they want it. Just personally I am not worried.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Reloader and I did some work on my H3 today. New steering rack (old one was leaking, new a/c compressor, condenser, lines (old compressor getting noisy and I don't want to this in summer), new alternator (was on original, and we were working in the same area, new belt, idler, tensioner. We found it wasn't too bad getting the a/c and alternator out through the bottom with the steering rack removed. Now I just need one new upper control arm, sway bar bushings and an alignment.
i-Pd5mgdF-L.jpg

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Got a bit of bad news. Haven't worked in nearly a month now. I might not have the money for this trip.
Sorry to hear that, the past year has been brutal on job security. Hope things work out soon and you can make it, but we certainly understand if you can't.

My H3 will probably be trailered but not definitely. It's not that it's a trailer princess by any means but that trailer has come in handy on two of the trips that it's taken to help other rigs that needed transport. I also like that if I do break my H3 in Moab I don't have to fix it there.

As I mentioned before, I'm not worried myself about COVID but I'm heading to a wedding on the second weekend and I have to be careful out of respect for those wedding guests. They've asked me to be very careful and I'll happily respect their wishes. I've done 20,000 miles in road trips over the past year, numerous hotels, countless restaurants and gas stations, one certain exposure over dinner, and I've been fine. I've tested several times.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Condenser was bad?
Nothing failed yet, but since I was replacing the compressor I wanted to replace the condenser in the small chance any metal bits did come off and get into the system. Replaced the lines simply because they were 14 years old. It was all original a/c parts as well as the alternator. Also, Rockauto will only warranty the compressor if you replace the condenser, expansion valve and flush the system.

LagunaH1

Nothing failed yet, but since I was replacing the compressor I wanted to replace the condenser in the small chance any metal bits did come off and get into the system. Replaced the lines simply because they were 14 years old. It was all original a/c parts as well as the alternator. Also, Rockauto will only warranty the compressor if you replace the condenser, expansion valve and flush the system.

I see a similar preventative repair in the Jeep’s future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I am not particularly worried. I know people that have had it twice already and don't know anyone that has been horribly sick with it even though I know that happens and worse. With all of the exposures I have had I feel pretty comfortable around people. I mainly mask up to make other people comfortable.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know people that know people that have died from it but I personally don't. Everyone I know, and that is quite a few people, that have had it have recovered nicely. I am getting to the age to be in the group that should be concerned the most but so are many of the people I know that have had it. I have no doubt that it can be deadly serious and the ones it strikes the hardest can seem random as hell. Some of the worst cases I have heard of were younger, healthy people that you thought would cruise through it with slight to no issues. JJ and I have worked through the pandemic from day one, never missing a day due to illness and been exposed many, many times. So far, fingers crossed, so good.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
I get it Dave. Unless and until it hits really close to home, people tend to think they have have been lucky so far or that they somehow are immune because they have been in contact with someone who got infected. In my case, I have known 15 people to date who got infected including our son Carlton who got infected and had to quarantine for 14 days in our house over his holiday visit, together with 7 very close friends who have died. Unless you have been vaccinated, I really do not want to take the risk and have to keep my fingers crossed. We all have to make the decision to do or not do what has kept us safe and healthy through today.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luis I think you and those around you have been hit harder than anyone I have heard of. Of course everyone must do what they feel is best. I plan on getting the vaccine as soon as it is available to me. Even though Texas has immunized more people than any other state they are still working on people more at risk than I am. My older brother has already had his two shots. I do the things they say you should do to protect yourself but I am not going to live in a bunker. Hopefully I will get the vaccine soon and be able to breathe a little easier.

JPaul

I get that everyone has differing views on this whole ordeal we're all going through right now. I'm in the "I'd really rather not find out if I'm one of the unlucky ones" camp. Plus my father in law is dealing with prostate cancer currently (he's undergoing chemo treatment at the moment) and we are the closest family living nearby, my wife teaches at the school just down the street from her parent's place so they are over there fairly often. So we're all taking it pretty seriously. Better safe than sorry, but yeah, I'm not duct-taping my doors shut just yet. Masks, keeping your distance, washing your hands (that should just be something you already do anyway you filthy animals), and keeping a lower profile are good enough I think.

Worst part in my case is everyone I have regular contact with (wife, FIL/MIL, and brother in law) are all in one category or another that allowed them to get the vaccine already. Wife is a grade school teacher, FIL/MIL are both over 70 (plus FIL has cancer), and brother in law lives at home with them currently and is an optician which apparently falls under the medical profession. They all have gotten both shots of the vaccine as of yesterday. So I'm stuck here unvaccinated until they open it up to the general public which probably won't be for a few more months at the least. Seems like spouses of school teachers should have also been included but whatever. I work from home mainly (did before this whole thing started) so it hasn't been too big a deal for me aside from everyone deciding to close shop early and not being able to socialize with my new neighbors hardly at all.

Biggest thing in my mind is we just need to all be respectful of each other and show some (un)common courtesy, which it is sounding like everyone on this trip is planning on doing which is great. Don't have to agree on the finer points of all this, just have to agree to get along and be good to each other. There's always next year if this year is too risky for some. Not much different of an excuse really than work getting in the way or family matters or money or whatever. No reason to feel bad for taking care of you and yours, whatever the reason may be.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
We need to determine a morning meeting place as the Outpost is not an option - it's under contract and should close shortly. (Congrats on the sale, Neo!). The condos are a bit out of town for some of the people staying in town, so I'm recommending we meet behind the cinemas adjacent to the McDonalds. Here we won't interfere with any open businesses and we have access to coffee and restrooms at McDonalds.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5638945,-109.550615,295m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

i-kv5fWsv-XL.jpg

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

rascole

What I thought H40 was having a Go Fun Me page to buy the Outpost? Then turn it into a Airbnb, then charge huge amounts for EJS week.